Quantcast

Intense M9 - Creakings

cgonne

Chimp
Jul 27, 2015
hi,

First of all, I apologize for any grammar mistakes or even vocabulary mistakes I will make, english is not my mother tongue and my phone keeps on correcting me with french words...

Here's the problem; it's been now more than 3 week that I've tried to grease my lower linkage everywhere that I could in order to eliminate a "creaking" (?) noise... I finally located the noise and it is situated in the shock fixation (still in the liwer linkage).
Actually, I can feel a slight "slack" (or movement?) there, but the "bushings" (?) are completely fine...

the creaking appears to happen only during the very beginning of the travel of my shock

Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!

PS: once again I apologize for my poor vocabulary, I had to use google translate for the precise mechanic terms!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
first, your vocabulary is fine. welcome to ridemonkey.

if the shock eyelet bushings are not loose, try loosening and re-tightening the lower shock bolt with the bike on the ground and not hanging in a work stand.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
first, make sure you have the updated lower box link with the collet setup. if you dont, that could be the problem. if you have the updated box link, then it is indeed your flip chips. some of the box links werent machined correctly and the flip chips could move around in their cavity. if you can feel play in the setup, then thats probably your problem. i would first try applying a thin layer of anti seize to the flip chips to see if that helps but if there is movement, then you should contact Intense or your distributor to get you squared away. i went through three box links before getting the issues resolved.

cgonne

Chimp
Jul 27, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I tried to tighten everything with the bike standing on the ground, it didn't change anything, but thanks!

As for IH8Rice, I'm considering updating the lower box, and getting new flip chips as you said, I found an old topic on this forum talking about that precise issue, but it seems it doesn't work all the time... We have no Intense dealers in Belgium anymore so I'll try to contact Intense directly!

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll keep you posted.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you want quick help in Europe you can try the Spanish distributor or, in my experience even better, try the UK shop Badass bikes (http://shop.badassbikes.co.uk/). Those guys were awesome in getting me spares in good time.
Coolest name for a shop on top of that! :dirol:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
As for IH8Rice, I'm considering updating the lower box, and getting new flip chips as you said, I found an old topic on this forum talking about that precise issue, but it seems it doesn't work all the time... We have no Intense dealers in Belgium anymore so I'll try to contact Intense directly!

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll keep you posted.
updating the box link shouldnt even be a consideration, it should be done. itll get rid of any flex that might be there and prevent the axles from walking out. mine walked out all the time and the set screw gouged the pivot axles pretty bad. getting new flip chips wont solve the issue if the box link wasnt machined to proper tolerances too

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Also try just rotating your spring. If it is oriented the wrong way it will creak. The end of the spring should not be in the slot.