Quantcast

Insurance for races?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
So usually when i go up to whistler i get extra medical insurance from pac blue cross in BC. I will be doing the EWS in whistler this year and pac blue doesn't offer coverage for events that have prizes......

I tried searching online for someone that would offer this type of coverage for the weekend, but came up empty. Anyone of you have experience with a company that does? I do not want to end up like the dude from rampage....

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
if your ensurance sodent cover races
just dont tell them you race
you can always say that you crash just riding your bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
have you contacted the race managers to see what they have in place? stateside race events are required to be insured, and have medical staff on-site in event of injuries.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Further explanation needed.....I can't recall the last time I saw a uniformed EMT on site at a race (maybe GES at Mountain creek last year, I think there was a bus there all day)....there's been a handful of races where I would have been surprised if anyone there (employee) was even CPR certified....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Further explanation needed.....I can't recall the last time I saw a uniformed EMT on site at a race (maybe GES at Mountain creek last year, I think there was a bus there all day)....there's been a handful of races where I would have been surprised if anyone there (employee) was even CPR certified....
then you need to look harder. i'm pretty sure it's a USAC requirement.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So usually when i go up to whistler i get extra medical insurance from pac blue cross in BC. I will be doing the EWS in whistler this year and pac blue doesn't offer coverage for events that have prizes......

I tried searching online for someone that would offer this type of coverage for the weekend, but came up empty. Anyone of you have experience with a company that does? I do not want to end up like the dude from rampage....
Peaty and Bryceland are always repping Totally Sports Insurance, never looked into it but figured it to be some sort of supplemental insurance you could purchase for a race, but I have no idea where they may offer coverage.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
then you need to look harder. i'm pretty sure it's a USAC requirement.
Do you want me to interview everyone on site? I went to 8 USAC DH races last year.

I'm just sharing what I have seen, and what I have seen is very little "UNIFORMED" EMT's or other medical professionals on site at races I have been to. That DOESN'T mean a certified EMT isn't there in plain clothing....my point is, if it's required, I figured they'd make the medical personnel onsite a bit more obvious in case of an emergency.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you want me to interview everyone on site? I went to 8 USAC DH races last year.

I'm just sharing what I have seen, and what I have seen is very little "UNIFORMED" EMT's or other medical professionals on site at races I have been to. That DOESN'T mean a certified EMT isn't there in plain clothing....my point is, if it's required, I figured they'd make the medical personnel onsite a bit more obvious in case of an emergency.
having had a hand in volunteering at some races and knowing people involved in them, they are there. for smaller races they can be plain clothes, but there must be some kind of first responder on site (again, pretty sure this is a USAC requirement). bigger races are required to have ambulances. once you get into UCI transcribed races, there's even more requirements - for instance they are required to have backboards along the track every x number of feet (can't remember the distance).

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
have you contacted the race managers to see what they have in place? stateside race events are required to be insured, and have medical staff on-site in event of injuries.
They say on crankworks official page that you are required to have supplemental Heath coverage. I emailed them and they have me a few links. Just wondered if anyone had been in a similar spot and found a good firm for coverage.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
having had a hand in volunteering at some races and knowing people involved in them, they are there. for smaller races they can be plain clothes, but there must be some kind of first responder on site (again, pretty sure this is a USAC requirement). bigger races are required to have ambulances. once you get into UCI transcribed races, there's even more requirements - for instance they are required to have backboards along the track every x number of feet (can't remember the distance).
Just to be clear.

I'm not arguing it's a requirement.

I'm just stating that I never seem to see them, so most must be icognito. It would probably not be bad if they were more noticeable in the case of an emergency.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Some of the EMTs i have seen, were hardly able to put on a band aid. (Launch)

I had to talk 1 venue out of a heli ride because they couldnt get my pulse when i had a lower stomach injury. It seems most of them are older volunteers that ive come across.

Mcbp being the exception

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
in an emergency, they will be there regardless of what they are wearing....
I see you live on the "west coast", maybe things are different where you live. I see you didn't specify "when" they would be there.......but as demo said, most emt's i've encountered over the years look about as fit as santa claus

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
EMT's there or not aside, this does not have an effect on health care coverage unless the event is willing to cover medical expenses that could occur from a trip to the hospital.

I got hurt last year at SilverStar and I paid with a credit card and then submitted to my insurance once back in the states. I got 100% reimbursed for my out of pocket expenses though it was a little bit of a pain. Check with your provider on out of country coverage policy and determine if supplemental is necessary. For me it wasn't, I would rather submit a out of pocket expense for free than pay for additional coverage that will be extra expense for me before even getting into what might be for deductibles.