Quantcast

Iceland

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spent a week in country, 4 days on a trail whose names are impossible to reproduce and a few days In Reykjavic. I did little research before going and I was a little shocked to see how touristy the place was, few Americans, mostly Eurotrash. Still a very cool place if you do the research and get off the beaten path.

The hike was damn near the most impressive stuff I have ever seen. Highly varied terrain and new vistas every few miles. Unlike 'Merican backcountry the prescribed campsites have huts, and masses of people. I usually prefer the isolation, but sharing a bunch of Wild Turkey and chocolate with a group of Belgian girls has it's advantages. Had several camera issues so waiting to download pictures from friends but I still got some good shots.

Reyjkavic is a charming fucking city.

Iceland is all about the D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The first day's trek was one of the hardest I have ever done. Got lost in a maze of a snowy lava field to begin a 1000meter ascent on super soft wet snow that fell just a week or two prior. It felt like trying to climb up the down escalator. By the time we arrived at camp it was near freezing with high winds an a torrential downpour. Holed up in the tent for a solid 14 hours. Bourbon made it better.

Hot vents kept the snow at bay in many spots

Home for the night, the tent is old and leaky. One of those moments when a garbage bag and a few feet of duck tape draws the fine line between a comfy night in the sack and the hypo-death.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The next morning provided better weather. A few miles in the snow was required but sub-freezing temps firmed the footing up a bit.

After climbing out of the caldera green valleys opened up on the horizon

Next days camp was a crowded one. A hard little side hike provided a breathtaking panorama

At that point my little camera died. The backlight had gone out of the SLR and hadn't taken too many pics as I couldn't tell how they came out.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hmmm...you can fly to iceland for under 700 from DC/NYC....charlotte....2152.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was there in the winter time really cool place. I would love to be there in the summer for more daylight with more hours to explore.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I was there in the winter time really cool place. I would love to be there in the summer for more daylight with more hours to explore.
Same here. We didn't do anything as outdoorsy as that.

Would be keen to go back.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
why?

you sound in good voice.
It isn't my clip...

Paul F Tompkins is pretty damned hilarious though... I discovered him listening to the Comedy Bang Bang podcast. He's hilarious as Werner Herzog.

As for the clip, I had to laugh because although the waterfalls are beautiful, one does hit a saturation point when you've been driving around for hours. 2 was apparently his limit.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It isn't my clip...

Paul F Tompkins is pretty damned hilarious though... I discovered him listening to the Comedy Bang Bang podcast. He's hilarious as Werner Herzog.

As for the clip, I had to laugh because although the waterfalls are beautiful, one does hit a saturation point when you've been driving around for hours. 2 was apparently his limit.
Hilarious? You are high.

Potentially chuckle worthy.