Quantcast

I was gonna SRAM, but I chickened out..

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So I need a new derailleur (refer to my 'Whistler Sucks' thread in the PNW forum).

I was all jazzed to replace my XT with an X.0. But i would need a new shifter... And I can't justify the expense of an X.0 and a new shifter. So I'll stick with the XT for now.

(stupid whistler...)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
X.0 rear derailleurs are ridiculously expensive. I just EP'ed a new drivetrain thru my work, and I got X.9 cuz X.0 was just too much money, even with my employee discount. It's nuts.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
On a similar vein I'm looking at getting a road mech but my bike (DHi) has an 11-34 cassette on it. But a 105 mech says this:

Max. Sprocket 27T
Min. Sprocket 11T

Does that mean I can't run a road mech? Or are those figures guildelines only that can be ignored?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
If you do a search you will find people have successfully run 32 front on an 11/32 cassette. I forget the riders who did it but it has been done a couple of times. I think that is simply a guideline, but isn't tooooo strict.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
i dont know if an X-O is any stronger than the lower models, or if its just a weight issue, but ive been runing X-O with a x7 shifter for a while now, and i wavent had promblems with it breaking like people complain about. and it has lost of dings scratches and chunks taken out of it. all the pivots are still tight, its not bent at all, and operates as good as day 1. i even kacked a landing, my bike went over sidways and i laded on the rear swingarm, drive side sown, and slid halway across a gravel fire road like that. So if the X-O has a strenght advantage over the lover models, id say the paying price may save you money in the long run. on the other hand, i may just be lucky. but the x7 shifter isnt very much $, and i thinks the x-9 isnt any better aside from the aluminum casing.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
- seb said:
Does that mean I can't run a road mech? Or are those figures guildelines only that can be ignored?
It's a guideline, all depends on the position of your derailleur hanger too. People get away with it on a 32t, I think 34t is a bit too much of a stretch though.

And if you guys think X.0 is expensive there, you should see what it's worth in Australia... absolutely rediculous. (didn't stop me from buying one though)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Rik said:
It's a guideline, all depends on the position of your derailleur hanger too. People get away with it on a 32t, I think 34t is a bit too much of a stretch though.

And if you guys think X.0 is expensive there, you should see what it's worth in Australia... absolutely rediculous. (didn't stop me from buying one though)
OK the 34 isn't even my choice - just what came on the bike when I bought it. Will buy a 105 and then a new cassette if I need it. I must confess it's been nice to be able to ride up hills though, my old setup only had a 26t on the back.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
12-27 should be ample range depending what chainring you're running with. That combination is available in Ultegra level cassette.

Or another idea, get a cheaper road cassette, say... 12-25 in Tiagra level, and pull both your MTB and Road cassettes apart, make a custom block, 11-28 or 30, with tighter ratios where you want them.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've done the silly road block thing to death, on my 222 I had a cycle dynamics titanium 11-24 6spd (on 8spd) cassette that weighed 108g :)

I'm enjoying being able to ride up hills now though. Current setup is 44t : 12-34t. Have bought the 105 mech, if it wont work with that I'm gonna scrap the lot and get a 40t 'ring and an 11-30t 8spd XT cassette.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
- seb said:
I've done the silly road block thing to death, on my 222 I had a cycle dynamics titanium 11-24 6spd (on 8spd) cassette that weighed 108g :)

I'm enjoying being able to ride up hills now though. Current setup is 44t : 12-34t. Have bought the 105 mech, if it wont work with that I'm gonna scrap the lot and get a 40t 'ring and an 11-30t 8spd XT cassette.

aaaah, the confessions of a cleaned up weight junkie!

preach on, brother, that it might still be time to save poor souls from the bottomless money pit.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm still not adverse to saving weight. I know for sure that my suspension doesn't work as well as it did on the 222, and I'm putting that down at least in part to the fact that I have 2lb more unsprung weight each end at the moment than I used to.

Just ordered my tubeless hoops, the 24" doublewides and gazzas are going....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I could have gone for the X7 or X9... but it turns out that I messed up my chain and cassette...and I'm not supposed to be spending money on my bike right now. So I wasn't keen on getting a new shifter if I didn't have to...

Oh and Yeti's and road derailleurs are not a good mix......

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
MMike said:
I could have gone for the X7 or X9... but it turns out that I messed up my chain and cassette...and I'm not supposed to be spending money on my bike right now. So I wasn't keen on getting a new shifter if I didn't have to...

Oh and Yeti's and road derailleurs are not a good mix......
I went through about 10 road der. until I got an X.7. I've been riding the same SRAM D. all year :thumb:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Matt D said:
I went through about 10 road der. until I got an X.7. I've been riding the same SRAM D. all year :thumb:
I don't know... Mine got F'ed after only a month. I had ONE mishap with my chain snagging some brush and my x.7 stripped VERY easily. It didn't even tweek my replacable drop out... can you buy new bolts for those things? I used to disassemble old Shimanos and replace parts... but this is my first SRAM, so I don't have any spare parts.