Quantcast

I need a Rapid Recovery from this Speedball of a product release, Double time!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think Hadley were the first to do it in their 108 hub that only had 1 of 3 pawls engaging at a time, but a few of them blew up so they changed it to 2x2 for 72pt to have two engaging at a time.
this is correct. for some reason i also want to say they were having issues sourcing the grade of titanium they used for the 108 driver as well? something something all being used by the army for drones. granted i heard this around 2005 or thereabouts, and those years were pretty fuzzy for me.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
for some reason i also want to say they were having issues sourcing the grade of titanium they used for the 108 driver as well? something something all being used by the army for drones. granted i heard this around 2005 or thereabouts, and those years were pretty fuzzy for me.
Yep, I actually bought a 108pt in 2005. They had a few failures even with the right material though (only under heavier riders), so I think those were independent issues. The 72pt that came straight after had a stainless freehub body instead of the gold titanium one, probably until they could source it again. I sold my 108 to a friend and it's still going.

I'm not a fan of the needle bearing in the freehub body though, my hub seized up on the first wet ride since it's very sensitive to water ingress. Packed the needles with more grease than factory and it was okay after that.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I once looked in trademarking something and I was told by a lawyer that a TM would be more expensive than what I wanted to pay. With a little research, I remember $2,500 as an estimated starting price... Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt a lawyer working for a company the size of SCRAM would be charging on the low end of the scale...

With 6(?) trademarks on a hub- of all things- the pricing is probably to cover the TM and marketing of an average quality hub.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I once looked in trademarking something and I was told by a lawyer that a TM would be more expensive than what I wanted to pay. With a little research, I remember $2,500 as an estimated starting price... Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt a lawyer working for a company the size of SCRAM would be charging on the low end of the scale...

With 6(?) trademarks on a hub- of all things- the pricing is probably to cover the TM and marketing of an average quality hub.
maybe they get a bulk discount

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Newp! Every couple years I buy new bearings for them, only to discover that they don't even need 'em.

Why... did Hadley close or something?

I SEE THAT THEIR WEBSITE IS DOWN.... loooool!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Newp! Every couple years I buy new bearings for them, only to discover that they don't even need 'em.

Why... did Hadley close or something?

I SEE THAT THEIR WEBSITE IS DOWN.... loooool!
rofl no. i have a 36 hole rear hub that is unlaced and i'm planning on selling. need a 32 hole hub.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Measurements drive behavior. I bet some marketing executive measures, or gets measured by the number of stupid trademarks they come up with. Much easier than designing something new and getting it patented.