Quantcast

I had no reason to hate Gee before, but now I do...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I was just about to post a thread asking "is anyone a Gee fan?"
Is there a secret fanclub that hides in an underground cave and quietly cheers when he wins?

There seems to be a generation of Nico fans, Peat fans, and Hill fans. Although I don't understand the first two, everyone knows worlds wins at Stromlo don't count, and Nico just didn't have any real competition. :D

Aug 4, 2008
IOC should stay out of mountain biking on any kind of surface. I do not want those scumbags anywhere near my sport.

Yes I pretend that XC doesn't exist. That's what has worked for me for the last 15 years.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
If you want to hate somebody already, its easy to find reasons to do so. That being said, Olympics may or may not have a place with mtn biking but Gee could easily just be trying to grow the sport, which I am sure his sponsors are happy with him doing so...

Aug 4, 2008
If you want to hate somebody already, its easy to find reasons to do so. That being said, Olympics may or may not have a place with mtn biking but Gee could easily just be trying to grow the sport, which I am sure his sponsors are happy with him doing so...
The history has taught us time and again that people should be judged based on results of their actions, not on their intentions...

To me, what he is arguing is pretty much the same as going "Hey Sauron, would you come over and help us get rid of this bully that has been kicking our asses!?".

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
We already have the UCI. What do you guys think the IOC could do that hasn't already been done? We already have homologation rules for the tracks, and people measuring the flappiness of rider's shirts.

Aug 4, 2008
We already have the UCI. What do you guys think the IOC could do that hasn't already been done? We already have homologation rules for the tracks, and people measuring the flappiness of rider's shirts.
Well IOC could definately help pharma industry get a bigger role in the gravity MTB.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
What about BMX racing? I know I was absolutely stoked to watch BMX racing at the the Olympics. Did it have any bad effects to the BMX racing scene, like it apparently did for snowboarding? I'm not really aware of what going on in snowboarding TBH.

Wetbed0

Chimp
Dec 17, 2013
Colorado
What about BMX racing? I know I was absolutely stoked to watch BMX racing at the the Olympics. Did it have any bad effects to the BMX racing scene, like it apparently did for snowboarding? I'm not really aware of what going on in snowboarding TBH.
So, more rules, http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2011/11/snowboarding-and-olympics

And being controlled by people with no interest in downhill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/news/story?id=6040014

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
...the day RM realized mountain biking is a business just like any other.
Thats cute.
I think everyone here realises that, but that doesnt mean people should endorse a shit show like the ioc becoming involved in the sport.

Beside the obvious political reasons there are plenty of reasons why you dont want a body like that to be involved in a sport. A few are mentioned in previous posts.

Do some research and google Terje Håkonsen and what he thinks about the olympics.

If Gee actually thinks the olympics would be a good thing to happen to downhill I think hes at least wrong.
If hes doing it because his sponsor wants it, hes an idiot imo.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Gee Atherton wants sport in the Winter Olympics
LOL WUT?!
Was that interview made after the blackmetal aftershow party in Hafjell? That dude was definitely drunk during that interview.

Snowboarding was ruined by the Olympics. Seriously, I can't stand to watch any competition anymore. There are still a handful of enjoyable characters involved (Thorstein Horgmo, Danny "I do switch methods in the pipe" Davis), but the rest is just sh!tty spin to win. The only guys still respectable and followable are the backcountry guys a la Gigi Rüf, Nicolas Müller, Jussi Oksanen and others.

Wasn't IOC trying to get skateboarding into the Olympics and get it managed by the UCI, because skateboards "have wheels"?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
pretty sure every british sportsperson wants an olympic gold medal.
if you understood the criteria BC (british cycling) use for funding athletes from different disciplines you might understand why DH becoming an olympic event would benefit EVERY UK downhill racer, event organiser and the sport in general.

its's f*cked but there you have it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Seems like XC being in the Olympics for 18 years by now means that IOC is involved in mountain biking as a sport already.

I'm also going to propose that funding for junior development could get a little better here in the States if the Olympics was a goal for kids. I don't care about this, as I don't race and I don't have kids... but monkies sure seem to get worked up about the sport growing and Americans being more successful on the international stage. I will say that BMX is just about the only thing I watched at the last summer olympics, and it was definitely the only event where I bothered to look up the schedule in advance and make a point of watching.

Back to the original article though... putting DH in the Winter Olympics is a bizarre idea.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i can't stand Lord Bummer. i stand by Terj's thoughts on the Olympics, the IOC needs to stay out of it. the article says the UCI has to propose the discipline for IOC status, and everyone knows the UCI hates downhill, so I would say chances are slim to none. as far as having it during the Winter Olympics, that is nothing less than bizarre.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Do some research and google Terje Håkonsen and what he thinks about the olympics.
ah yes, the "that one guy's opinion is wrong because someone else has a different opinion" tactic. good luck with that!

the difference of course is that snowboarding is judged on style, and what got f'd by the olympics is how the runs were scored. it became figure skating in a half-pipe - spin to win, nowhere near the style as before.

i am willing to bet that most if not all the top-10 dh racers would be STOKED to race the olympics. why? not for immediate sponsorship, but for a much more durable career long after racing. "former pro downhill bike racer" will not get the motivational speaking engagements at large law offices the way "olympic silver medalist" will.

personally don't care either way. UCI is the DH world's worst enemy. can't see how being in the olympics changes that.