Quantcast

I been building a pumptrack...

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
The same when you crash on hard ground. Its not concrete. I think they use the same in Winterberg and Leogang. It is great and allows you to ride in really wet conditions even in rain as there will only be puddles, not mud. At least that is my experiance from other euro parks.
How well does it prevent vegetation growth?

Looks sort of like crushed limestone...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

You would have to drill Ben about it. I never really tried building trails with it, only know places that use it. Seems like it prevents it quite good but those were busy parks so I doubt anything would grow there anyway.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
well, that depends. actually it doesn´t prevent vegetation growth, it rather hinders it.
water-bound surfaces like macadam are prone to negligence, i.e. not beeing used or compressed properly and regularly. but they are, in general, superior to bare soil.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

It is a limestone gravel mix. With the biggest pieces up to 12mm. They also make it in 25mm but it is too rough for a finished surface and makes too much gravel on the surface when it rains.

Depends on the type of vegetation. I saved all the grass clumps and used them for the sides of the jumps so it grows back in. I will probably have to use some sort of weed killer to keep the riding surfaces clean. I want to landscape the **** out of the track and make it look like the Eurobike track, if anyone has seen that one. It is one of my home spots and I ride and build there all the time so I can help the owners make it sick. We were already talking about planting flowers since it is at the entry to the village.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Sounds to me like you want it make to look like this one:

Absolutely stunning work on this one.
Were you also involved in this build?
I saw that Claudio Caluori built this one for a bikehotel in Italy...:drool:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

Yes! I'd love to make it nice like that one. Claudio built that one and the gardeners planted the grass and everything after he left. I have worked with Claudio before but not on that one. He also built a concrete one in his home town.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Nice work Ben! That sprung up fast. It wasn't there when I went through to Bex a few weeks back...

Ben: Off topic: rumor has it that Morgins is 'leaving' PDS... Have you heard anything? That would be disastrous for the summers.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Nice work Ben! That sprung up fast. It wasn't there when I went through to Bex a few weeks back...

Ben: Off topic: rumor has it that Morgins is 'leaving' PDS... Have you heard anything? That would be disastrous for the summers.
I think the PDS is putting a lot of pressure on Morgins to update it's lifts. Morgins wants to but are being held up by environmentalists. They have been trying to get the plans accepted for the new lifts for something like 8 years. When they get the green light I have an A-Line style trail planned under the lift on the new ski piste.

I read an article the other day saying that Morgins and Champery are no longer together in the fight for the lifts and when I asked my bosses they said it was just a negotiation strategy. If Morgins leaves PDS then they were kicked out, is my understanding. I think it is just a little pressure to update the lifts which is needed.

We are going to open for the weekend of the 28-29 of May if you want to come over for a shred.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
so...
how do I get to morgins from morzine?
will be there this summer again
it looks great
Go to Avoriaz then down to Linderets then to the top of the Mosette lift then ride down that long valley on lookers' left. After 20 or so minutes you will have a lift on your right, take it and you are at the top of our trails. Remind me and I'll draw you a map or meet up and show you.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

omg. I need to go change my shorts.

RJJ

Chimp
Jun 13, 2011
Montreux, Switzerland
Just got back from spending the day in Morgins. Went to the bar where the pump track is, and met the bar owner (I think he owns several businesses in Morgins as I had previously met him last year at a bike shop at the Chatel end of Morgins) Great pump track, though as I'd never been on one before I was rubbish. The bar owner lent me a bike as my Demo 8 was never going to work well! He also gave me a quick lesson. Now that's customer service.

He said he had it built and was very complementary of you Ben for being the architect. Lets hope I can improve at it. The gravel surface looks like it will give some serious rash if you fall, but the benefit is pretty much all weather, except snow.

Any way I was better on the DH tracks, and they are great, the best I have been on that's for sure. I think they are your creation as well aren't they Ben?

Only tips for improvement are perhaps a bit better signing of the tracks, and to recommend that beginners are better going to Chatel or somewhere as the Morgins blue run is fantastic, but will probably not suit a first timer as it is fast and steep in places. Met a beginner on the way down one time, who was an experienced X-country rider, and they really were struggling a bit.

Morgins is now may favourite Alpine town. Thanks Ben.
:D

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Just got back from spending the day in Morgins. Went to the bar where the pump track is, and met the bar owner (I think he owns several businesses in Morgins as I had previously met him last year at a bike shop at the Chatel end of Morgins) Great pump track, though as I'd never been on one before I was rubbish. The bar owner lent me a bike as my Demo 8 was never going to work well! He also gave me a quick lesson. Now that's customer service.

He said he had it built and was very complementary of you Ben for being the architect. Lets hope I can improve at it. The gravel surface looks like it will give some serious rash if you fall, but the benefit is pretty much all weather, except snow.

Any way I was better on the DH tracks, and they are great, the best I have been on that's for sure. I think they are your creation as well aren't they Ben?

Only tips for improvement are perhaps a bit better signing of the tracks, and to recommend that beginners are better going to Chatel or somewhere as the Morgins blue run is fantastic, but will probably not suit a first timer as it is fast and steep in places. Met a beginner on the way down one time, who was an experienced X-country rider, and they really were struggling a bit.

Morgins is now may favourite Alpine town. Thanks Ben.
:D
Cool, thanks a lot! The owner's name is Rolf by the way.

The trails in Morgins were the some of the first ones I built in Switzerland. We are pretty proud of those ones because we don't have a lot of budget but still make sure it is fun to ride. I'll try and get the signage a bit better and you are totally right about us needing a beginner trail. Let me know when you come back.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
If you find yourself eating rice,have no car and wish you could take that girl out to a nice restaurant let me remind you that you're still doing it right.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Been there today. The pump track looked great. Wish I wasnt so dead tired after 8 weeks of riding and going to Morgins from Morzine and getting lost a few times on the way.

Ben - I love your tracks in Morgins. They have great flow and the roots are also fun.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Cool, thanks Norbert! I am building the 4X for Worlds this week at the bottom of the WC DH track. Where are you riding today?

@Leprechaun - Thanks! I don't mind the sacrifices. When are you coming over to check it out?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Cool, thanks Norbert! I am building the 4X for Worlds this week at the bottom of the WC DH track. Where are you riding today?

@Leprechaun - Thanks! I don't mind the sacrifices. When are you coming over to check it out?
Sorry for not answering but the local net we steal from a nearby hotel is a bit unstable. We were riding in Morzine as the last minute race back to Chatel killed us. Tomorrow we plan Chatel though I will probably be doing every trail in sections as I did Morgins. Doing them like Kacper/Frango in 1 stop gets dangerous for me ;)
btw. Thats 8 days, not weeks. I wish it was that long ;)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Is there a map somewhere with sizes of the rollers and the wholes field?
This is as close as I got to a set of plans on that one.

p4pb6571748.jpg

The theme to that one was 3:1 and 2 meter radii. That means that the bowls are 3 times longer than the bumps/tables and the turns have a 2 meter radius. I like to find a theme for the flow and that will dictate my spacing. That is a little oversimplified but a good starting point. The mini tables are 2 meters long and the bowls are 6 meters long. Because it was slightly uphill I made the first bowl higher than the second one and the third one lower than the second one.

I will be making a new pumptrack in Les Diablerets, Switzerland this spring so I will have something else to show you guys soon.

RJJ

Chimp
Jun 13, 2011
Montreux, Switzerland
Hi buckoW,

Is Morgins open all through this bank holiday weekend? I believe it is open all weekends now until the full season end of June, but does that include the bank holidays like this Monday coming?

Any changes to the blue and red runs this year? (Really love Morgins, so can't wait to get back).

Cheers,
R

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey R,

Yes! We are open on Monday too. We built a new line and added lots of jumps here and there to the existing trails. Many new things to check out. I had an excavator in there all this last week to get the snow off the trails. There is still a bit of runoff and random spring water but things are working well. I should have taken some pics yesterday but I was too busy riding. The new trail is under the lift in the middle section and has a nice new road gap (10-11 meters long). The speed works perfect. Just let it run and it will be over quickly. Come say hi if you come over!