Quantcast

hussefelt stem

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
i've got a Hussefelt stem and bar, and no matter what, it makes an awful creak. doesn't happen when i put side to side pressure, but landing, even just going off a curb, it creaks. i've had them for about 2 months and it just started a couple weeks ago. i took out all the bolts, greased them, and greased between the bolt head and the washer. nothing cures it. the only thing i could think that might cure it would be to replace the bolts with washer-less bolts. anyone know?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
hhmmmm it may not be ur stem/bars. do you ride ahrd and what fork are you using? if the fork isnt up to par of your aggro riding, the steerer quite possibly could have loosened in the crown. the same exact thing happened to me and i was confuse so i went and replaced the stem/bars and got a new headset only to fin out it was the steerer on the fork. flip the bike upside down, sit on the chainring or downtube and grab the fork's lowers. push/pull them back and forth and see if that makes it creak. also, you may feel some play. hope this helps...

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
then all i can say is get new bars/stem. :blah: honestly, truvativ hussefelt br/stem combos arent the best. ive bent the bars and the hole for the bars in the stem isnt always correct which is probably causing the creaking. pony up for some better bars/stem. a good, cheap combo is an FSA powderkeg cnc'd bmx stem and profile design ultra fr bars. i run this and got the whole set up for under $40. :)

edit: ehhhhhhhhh i just remembered the stem fits only bmx bars so either get some bmx sized (diameter) bars of choose a difefrent stem. sorry. this may not be an option for you but the lbs guy who sold me the stem found out it didnt fot the bars the hard way (ie after we bought it) so he brought it home and put it on his lathe to make it fit. turned out sweet.