Quantcast

Hubs Points of Engagement

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
Does anyone have a list of hubs and their respective points of engagement?
ie
king 72
hadley 72
i9 120
hope 24
atom lab air corp?
dt swiss?
sun stuff?
anything else worth looking at or not looking at?

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
ok, so as far as higher engagement its the first three i mentioned? I would like higher engagement, but do not want to pay for kings or i-9's and i hear people are having problems with hadleys

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
no theres a definite difference, basically what i meant was i want higher engagement, but do not want to pay for kings or i-9's and hadleys are more reasonable, but people seem to be having problems? so i was wondering what other hubs if any have a higher than 24 engagement point

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
halo just came out with a new hub called the 'super drive' thats 120 pt. pretty rad looking actually. its only 2 pawls, but instead of a standard looking pawl, its a lot longer, and from the looks of it has about a dozen teeth on it (there's an ad in the new issue of uk dirt)

hadley trials freehubs are 108pt, but good luck finding one. They're no longer in production.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
My three or four year old 108 Hadley is still running fine,wheeps a bit but so what. and the 108 only has one pawl engaging at a time,the 72 has two I think.
Just got a new I9(normal flange)hub,and although I've not ridden it yet,the sucker spins for ever and sounds so fricken nice(normally I don't give a damn what they sound like,but this just purrs),it has six clickers but you can just get three if you want less resisitance,but sacrafice some pick ups(I'll DH mine,don't care about pedal efficiency as much as snappy puick up) .

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
i will look at the halo, a friend has a 108 pt and loves it no problems, just recently i have heard of some problems, but it is hearsay so who knows, how much is an i-9 for regular spokes not their stuff?

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
a hadley is what in the mid to high 200s arent kings usually quite a bit more than that? unless i am looking at the wrong ones? which would be best for dh the classic or isis

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
definitely look into the halos. From the blurb in Dirt, they're supposed to be more of a budget hub (at least when compared to other SHE* hubs)

*SHE - Super High Engagement

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
ok cool about the budget, is there anything thats good quality but a higher engagement than a hope with like 24?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I also just got a Profile 6speed and it has 50 something clicks,very nice hub. I'm not sure how many the normal 8/9speed hubs have.
If it's for a 135 rear,and for DH,I strongly advise running a Profile 6 speed set up as you get a dishless rear wheel like a 150mm.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
My three or four year old 108 Hadley is still running fine,wheeps a bit but so what. and the 108 only has one pawl engaging at a time,the 72 has two I think.
Just got a new I9(normal flange)hub,and although I've not ridden it yet,the sucker spins for ever and sounds so fricken nice(normally I don't give a damn what they sound like,but this just purrs),it has six clickers but you can just get three if you want less resisitance,but sacrafice some pick ups(I'll DH mine,don't care about pedal efficiency as much as snappy puick up) .

I have a first production run 108 as well. Just had to replace the pawl spring as it was finaly getting notches at the pawls. Hadley sent me a couple for free. I have serviced twice I think since I bought it...and if you look at at my location you will see that rain, mud and water are quite frequent here....never had a problem with it. They do only have a single pawl ingaged at a time if that bothers you.

I own two other sets of Hadley 72points, each with a couple of seasons on them. None have needed any work.

Friend has a set that is pre 'SDH'....that means like 8 years old or so..they run perfect..

FWIW, I can tell a huge difference riding a low engagement point hub after being on 108 or 72s for a long while. Low gears combined with low engagement(16,24,etc) = knee into the bars, or missing a wheely drop at just the wrong time. I cant tell the difference between the 72 an 108 though, so I would think anything from about 48-60 and up or so would be 'OK' in my book.

If you are looking at a King for a DH bike, you will want to upgrade to the HD axle... and possible the steel hubshell as the CK one is made of hard cheese....oh yea, you need to buy the 'special' cassette lock ring (extra $20) as the CK free hubs dont work with current cassettes with out it.

I wonder when Hope will pull thier heads out and offer their 48pt freehub on a multi speed hub?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a first production run 108 as well. Just had to replace the pawl spring as it was finaly getting notches at the pawls. Hadley sent me a couple for free. I have serviced twice I think since I bought it...and if you look at at my location you will see that rain, mud and water are quite frequent here....never had a problem with it. They do only have a single pawl ingaged at a time if that bothers you.

I own two other sets of Hadley 72points, each with a couple of seasons on them. None have needed any work.

Friend has a set that is pre 'SDH'....that means like 8 years old or so..they run perfect..

FWIW, I can tell a huge difference riding a low engagement point hub after being on 108 or 72s for a long while. Low gears combined with low engagement(16,24,etc) = knee into the bars, or missing a wheely drop at just the wrong time. I cant tell the difference between the 72 an 108 though, so I would think anything from about 48-60 and up or so would be 'OK' in my book.

If you are looking at a King for a DH bike, you will want to upgrade to the HD axle... and possible the steel hubshell as the CK one is made of hard cheese....oh yea, you need to buy the 'special' cassette lock ring (extra $20) as the CK free hubs dont work with current cassettes with out it.

I wonder when Hope will pull thier heads out and offer their 48pt freehub on a multi speed hub?
I have 2 of the 108pts, not sure from which run. THey are awesome.

However, I am very tempted to get a set of I9's.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
ok any idea how much an i-9 is? i can't find them online really haven't looked terribly hard either to be honest

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I have a 108 point hadley on my DJ/urban bike and a King on my XC bike. I didn't notice as much of a difference going to the higher engagement points as I did when I had to ride fewer for a while. (Flat spotted my XC rim and rode a loaner.) I could really tell a difference when they weren't there.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I have a hadley hub thats supposed to be a 108pt engagement. But when you turn it I can only count 36point. But it has 3 pawls so 36*3=108
And a nukeproof hub has 6 pawls and 30clicks, so that is 6*30=180pt, but it actually has less points of engagement.
Burgtec has 48 pick ups, do they mean actuall clicks or points of engagement that includes a the amount of pawls?

Does somebody understand what I mean? You cant compare the engagement because different manufacturers use different ways of counting is my observation.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
sounds like you have a different freehub. 108pts of engagement means 108 clicks. your three pawls should be offset.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah my Hadley is only 36 engagement too, I presume not all their hubs were 108?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I believe Hadley currently offers a 36 and 72 point engagement hub. They no longer make the 108 point engagement model.

Engagement points = clicks felt when turning hub. Hubs can have multiple pawls engaging at the same time. So if you only feel 36 clicks it is 36 point engagement, with 3 pawls engaging at the same time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I believe Hadley currently offers a 36 and 72 point engagement hub. They no longer make the 108 point engagement model.
Ding ding! This is correct. Every now and then a used Hadley 108 pops up for sale, but not that often. You can still get replacement pawls and pawl springs for the 108 (they're no different than the pawls in the rest of their hubs AFAIW)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
That's been my experience. I've had a 108pt Hadley for a few years now, most of the riding being in VT, which is also pretty snowy/muddy stuff. Just did full service on it for the first time. Great hub. Sounds nice too.

As far as engagement points, I don't really notice them too much when riding DH. For me, engagement matters more in XC when steep and tech climbs require quick power. For DH, I just don't notice it. If it means anything, I run the 108pt Hadley on my FS trailbike, a King on my singlespeed HT and an XT on my DH bike.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
When I got my Sunday (w/ Hugi FR hubs) a few years back, it was the first time I'd ridden a hub other than King in years. Going from 72 to 20 points of engagement was a nightmare. Knees into the bars and waiting for the hub to catch up to the pedals was pretty common. Since then I've picked up a couple Hadley 108s and a Hadley 36pt.

I'd say anything above 36 is passable and it gets harder to tell the difference once you get above 72.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The older Hadley hubs were all 36pt. People were asking for higher engagement, so they made them 108. Same shell, but they offset the pawls in the freehub so they engaged at different times. They only made them for 1-2 years. People were having issues so they replaced them with 72 pt hubs. (My 108 has been flawless in the PNW mud) I believe all of the new ones are 72. Basically, you can make any old 36 hub a 72 by replacing the freehub body. I'm sure you could get one for a reasonable price direct from Hadley.

For a high engagement hub, you really can't beat them for bang for your buck. Once you ride a 108 for a while, 24s seem REALLY sloppy.
I don't care so much for DH, but on a trail bike on tight trails, it's really nice.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Being used to a 36pt Hadley I fell over on a really tight bit on the North Shore on the hire bike I had with it's ****ty 18pt XT hub. I expect you get used to it and then it makes negligible difference. My current Pro2 is 24, and it seems ok, but I'd prefer more. I'd like it to be quieter too...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
New Shimano hubs are 36pt. Current XT is one of the first new models with 36 pt, the new Saint will have the Shimano micro ratchet setup too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just picked up an sx trail with a set of mavic dee tracks. Coming off a hadley 108, I definitely notice the difference in engagement.

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
As said in Dirt mag, Halo will come up with 120 engage points-hub.
But there was also mention, that it's re-branded hub.

I think this the hub, where it's re-branded from.

Superstar Superleggera Rear Hub

£99.95 and 120 engage points...

This one comes only in 135mm X 10mm.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
So the DT 340 hubs that are used in the 1750 wheels are only 20 pt?

How many engagement points are there in the hubs used in the Mavic SX wheels?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As said in Dirt mag, Halo will come up with 120 engage points-hub.
But there was also mention, that it's re-branded hub.

I think this the hub, where it's re-branded from.

£99.95 and 120 engage points...

This one comes only in 135mm X 10mm.
Idk if the Halo is just a rebranded hub, the spot in Dirt showed the pawl system, and its different from anything I've seen before.

Edit: I just checked, and the shell of the hub is shaped differently too. I'll try to scan the picture from Dirt on my lunch break.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I went from an Older XT (18 tooth engagement) to a new TBC Hub(22 Points of engagement) and I can feel the difference there. i really like the TBC hub myself, Mostly because its a nice hub, that didnt destry my wallet.