Quantcast

How progressive is too progressive?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Alright, this is related to Zedro's anti-everyone thread :-)p) that mentioned his bike having a "spike" in the stroke (I'm guessing progression had something to do with it; please don't take offence to this thread Zedro). I had a ride of a bike with a big rising rate the other day (Avanti d8/Keewee cromo8, same bike), and there was quite a noticeable bump about 2/3, maybe 3/4 of the way through the travel, which fits the description of the spiking mentioned with regards to Zedro's madcore machine. Then a while ago DW mentioned that one of the improvements he made to the SGS's was to remove some of the "undesirable leverage rate progression characteristics of typical 4-bars" or something like that. I also remember Jm_ (I think?) posting something ages ago about some bike with a rising rate linkage AND a progressively-sprung shock that he said was too progressive. Kidwoo also mentioned something about the "god-awful rising rate" on his DHR (these aren't exact quotes mind you).

So this leads me to ask, how much progression is too much? What exactly is a desirable shock rate (also, is this something I can find out by reading up about it in engineering/dynamics textbooks?)? Do any of the shock-tuning guys (Darren @ Push or Craig @ Avalanche) have anything to say here? Or am I asking people (eg DW) to spill too many secrets here?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Too much progression can feel somewhat similer to spiking, because most of the impact is transferred to you, it basically feels extremely "harsh" when you are oversprung. I had a progressive spring on a shock that requires an air spring (stratos helix) on a progressive bike, it felt pretty crappy like this.

The better way to describe it of course is "harsh", never gets full-travel, kind of feels like it "skips" around..etc.

IMO, a "perfect progressive rate" makes sense, and it should be the same regardless of rider weight, but it will have different starting and ending rates depending on the weight of the rider. So far, my old rocky mountain seemed to have the best-rate of any bike I've owned, followed by my cheeta DH bike. I'm going to order a curnutt soon so I don't know if my FXR will end up being better rate-wise in the end.