Quantcast

How old are you?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When was this on MTV?!?!? Spent some time at some of their shows in NY as a young gun, so it makes me laugh to think that these guys got on TV!
Headbangers Ball before hair metal took over, I guess. I learned about the Cro Mags, Megadeth, and many others from that and 120 minutes before it started to suck. I didn't watch much MTV outside of those shows and some Bevis/Butthead.

I recall writing a nasty letter to MTV when Headbangers Ball became "3 hours of the same sh!t we play all day".

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Headbangers Ball before hair metal took over, I guess. I learned about the Cro Mags, Megadeth, and many others from that and 120 minutes before it started to suck. I didn't watch much MTV outside of those shows and some Bevis/Butthead.

I recall writing a nasty letter to MTV when Headbangers Ball became "3 hours of the same sh!t we play all day".
Ah yes, I used to call that show 'Headbusters Bonanza'! :rofl:

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
I turn 28 today. I hate EmptyV but remember The Maxx, The Tick, Daria, The Oddities and a stark lack of music videos. Never really watch the channel or television. Got into punk early on and MTV also had a lack of music I liked. Yo! MTV Raps was alright.

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
It didn't die, it evolved. I listen to a good deal of sub-genres. It's definitely dead now though. The **** they call punk these days is terrible. It's like slightly more angry pop music.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
First music video I recall seeing was Blondie that appeared on HBO back in the day......pre-MTV.

J

Last edited:

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
I was a rock band roadie for 42 years, starting in San Francisco in 1968, all that time with the same band. Some of the acts that I saw and worked with in that capacity included the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Santana, Steve Miller, Johnny Winter, Merle Haggard, Tower of Power, Huey Lewis and the News, Byrds, Sly and the Family Stone, Canned Heat, Ten Years After, Chambers Brothers, The Starship, John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Eagles, The Band, Lynrd Skynrd, Van Morrison, Boz Skaggs, Chuck Berry, Ike and Tina Turner, Albert King, Everly Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, Fleetwood Mac, Leon Russell, Jethro Tull, (toured with) Average White Band, (toured with) Three Dog Night, and I saw three thousand more acts you never heard of, with a backstage pass, free beer and a buffet. Some of my friends died from drug overdoses or drank themselves to death, some got Grammys.

What a country.

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
Repack, I used to be a roadie (Canadian bands), & I pioneered mountain bike trail building (in the 60's). I'm 55 now, do you think I should take up piano moving in my twilight years?:D

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Repack Rider said:
You would think I could sell my book.
It's a fiction novel right?
I got the word yesterday that Velo Press will publish it, and the contract arrived today for my signature. The work is a first person account of stuff I did with bikes in the '70s and '80s. Not fiction, I had some interesting bicycle adventures before you could ride one. Working title is "Fat Tire Flyer."

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Repack, I used to be a roadie (Canadian bands), & I pioneered mountain bike trail building (in the 60's). I'm 55 now, do you think I should take up piano moving in my twilight years?
If you're 55 now, you were a kid in the '60s when you built your trails. Is there a kid with woods nearby who DIDN'T build trails?

I've been moving pianos for 35 years, and 55 is not the age I started at. Stick with the bikes. You already know how to ride one.