Quantcast

how much $ do pro DH racers make

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
for example, the pro surfers who compete in the ASP World Tour can make $400,000 (if they win), per contest

just curious what DH racers make

thanks

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
for example, the pro surfers who compete in the ASP World Tour can make $400,000 (if they win), per contest

thanks
Divide that by 2 or 3 for the top 5 in world and you are in the park for annual salary from major sponsor. Hence why I am pushing my kid to golf :eek:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I think "spend" is really what you should be asking for, rather than "make".

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009

thanks
I find it interesting that you compare earnings to surfing, as opposed to comparable sports?
I can't comment on other sports such as MX and the like, but in surfing there's an awful lot more competition to get to the top echelons of surfing.

Furthermore, not even the top 44 is that anymore, with the tail end of the surfers not being able to compete towards the end of the year and they need to re qualify on the QS.

Also, surfing is more marketable, as marketers can sell the lifestyle (clothing / accessories). Much like Slopestyle world tour (or whatever it's called), you can stage the contest in front of people (See the crap contest that's the Van's US open), or broadcast the heats in full.

Another thing, Surfing is probably the "extreme" sport that's been around the longest (the Hawaiians that ate captain cook, were surfers), while Dh really is in it's infancy.

DH on the other hand is hard to follow, as you only really see small segments of the entire track. No real identity, so the lifestyle can;t be sold to the masses.

Now compare that to professional "athletes" such as darts players. They make an absolute fortune, purely because that **** is easy to sell to the TV stations, and your average couch potato can have that crap running in the background, being exposed to beer adverts.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well at least there's binders full of hot chicks on the DH scene, unlike surfing.
Let me know when the DH Female Calender comes out I am sure it sell 15 copies worldwide. Cause they don't look like this, maybe 1 that I know of and thats a maybe. If they did 10 million would sell easy. Though we can hire models and fake it. this may be NSFW it has hotties in bikinis.....

While we are on payscale Kate Moss had a day rate of $400K.......

http://www.mikecampau.com/41872/2041402/image-design/brazil-2014-world-cup-inspired-soccer-calendar

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
i guess a lot more 'muricans like to sit around and drink beer than pedal around on dirt!
Yeah sort of the market of DH MTB racers vs the number of Fishing License holders is probably a joke. Check this link out. Its a bit easier driving to a lake 40 minutes away and fishing with a 3-6 year old than it is driving 5 hours to a resort.

http://www.forbes.com/companies/bass-pro-shops/

There is real Sponsorship $$$ its pretty normal for guys to get $100K+ a year from non primary sponsors in fishing...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
DH Pro's will start making money once a agent or manager figures out how to get them out of the bike industry. Skiing, for example; The top racers/money earners are not displaying ski industry manufacturers as sponsors. Much like biking, relatively speaking, there is no money there. They are sponsored by investment firms, food and beverage companies and maybe a resort corporation thrown in. The only thing close that biking seems to have is energy drinks...someone has to push outside of the box.

Someone will inevitably throw out the exposure excuse, but I think there is more to it. There are plenty of other sports that have similar exposure that are well funded. I honestly think part of the problem is the lack of giving back from the athletes. They have to create a value beyond riding a bike fast.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
Just for reference, Shaun Palmer said something about making $300,000 from Specialized back in the day in "Never Back Down." I am sure the top pros, maybe 5 of them are around $200,000-$250,000 range. I would guess it falls off from there to mid 5 figures.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Fair enough, but at least Minnaar is modeling between races, so there's that.

For me, I've always used the "DH racing = Formula racing" analogy given that the riders/pilots and their respective mode of kicking ass are so far removed from the average Joe (and their car in the case of formula). The obvious difference being the massive difference in income, which at some level surprises me. Not being an F1 fan (ie - the main guy I knew bumped his head skiing awhile back), I'm not clued into really how popular it really is, but it *seems* pretty nichey, like dh, when compared to neckcar. I realize F1 has a bigger following internationally, but I dare say wc dh does as well. And the one guy I know who really follows it religiously does it in the typical "I like Manchester United, grill cheese food trucks and Pavement because it's intellectual and not appealing to trogs like you " category. Yet F1 guys tonne it almost like no other. But then again, it's cars versus bikes, so wtf do I know.

Back on topic

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
F1 is one of the largest spectator sports in the world...

"The 2008 season attracted a global audience of 600 million people per race.[113] It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for the 2001 season, broadcast to two hundred countries."

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Last edited: