Quantcast

How many of you ladies dirtbike, too?

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
I'm >< this close to picking up a used Yamaha TT-125R to start riding trails with- in hopes that my husband will let me buy my boys a dirtbike, too (lol-does that sound backwards or what?) Actually, he would love for them to dirtbike as long as it didn't cost anything :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was just curious how many of you dirtibike, too and how did you get started and what do you ride?

Do you find that its easier for you to get injured on the dirtbike than on your mtn bike, or are injuries equated with the risk you're taking?

Cheers,
Kristina

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
KPicha said:
I'm >< this close to picking up a used Yamaha TT-125R to start riding trails with- in hopes that my husband will let me buy my boys a dirtbike, too (lol-does that sound backwards or what?) Actually, he would love for them to dirtbike as long as it didn't cost anything :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was just curious how many of you dirtibike, too and how did you get started and what do you ride?

Do you find that its easier for you to get injured on the dirtbike than on your mtn bike, or are injuries equated with the risk you're taking?

Cheers,
Kristina
I just sold my YZ125 since I broke my ankle on the damn thing 5 months ago riding on the track with OCDH :). I've broken a few bones riding DH, but nothing was quite as bad as this one...it's been tough both mentally and physically. When I've had injuries on my MTB, I couldn't wait to get back on the bike...I never did feel that with the motorcycle accident. I knew I wanted to ride MTB again, but I wasn't (and still not) sure about riding motocross anymore. I might get a 4-stroke bike and do some trail riding, but I don't think I want to ride the track anymore. You get into trouble REALLY fast!

On the positive, riding MX helped my skills on the DH bike like I can't believe. Especially cornering since it teaches you to ride with you chest above your bars and keep some weight on the front end. It will help you ride MTB more aggressive and be comfortable with speed.

I'm pretty bummed I did what I did because I really loved riding MX a lot :(. Watch out if you do get a moto...it makes choosing between riding your bike and riding your moto REALLY difficult. Don't be surprised if your MTB's start collecting dust.:)

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
dhjill said:
Watch out if you do get a moto...it makes choosing between riding your bike and riding your moto REALLY difficult. Don't be surprised if your MTB's start collecting dust.:)
LOL - so true! I have an xc bike, a dh bike, and a YZ250F - and only 2 weekend days :mumble: Oh, and the upkeep on 3 bikes is out of control!

Miss riding moto with you Jill - went to the track today with a big group. It was fun, but it was so hot that I drank an entire gallon of water myself :mad:

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
squarewheels said:
holy crap. COOLEST...MOM...EVER. :heart:
can i be your son too?
LOL- If you were my son, I'd buy you a bike, too ;)
but I've got four of my own for now. I think I've got my hands full at this time but thanks :D

I was only planning on riding trails with the moto, no MX. Although, it looks like a lot of fun, I won't have the control for that yet. I've never even ridden a motorcycle :eek: so I'd like to get some basic skills down before I get my boys one. I'm really hoping this will turn into something the whole family can do together.

Geez, I hope trailriding isn't as injury prone as MX! I may have to rethink this. Have you found that your injuries have come from slow speed, "stupid" mistakes, like that happen on the mtn bike or did they come from pushing the limits or were they totally out of blue type ones.

By the way, can I pick your brains for less than retail online shops for gear? :) or did you buy all of your gear from your local shop?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
best thread ever. best mom ever.

i love motocross and it's the reason why i started racing downhill. my life changed the day i stumbled upon the women's motocross league racing at the unadilla outdoor mx national. i didn't have a dirt bike, lived in nyc with no vehicle or place to keep a bike...and oy vay the expenses!! a very dear friend wanted to get me a dirtbike but couldn't afford one either and knew i couldn't afford the storage/vehicle/upkeep, so he gave me a downhill bike instead (though the dang thing probably cost more than a used dirt bike!!!! with NO engine!!!) and i figured if mercedes could start in mx and go to dh i could start in dh and go to mx. still without a dirt bike but jump at every chance someone offers a loaner. haven't been to a race for what seems years. used to go to all the east coast rounds of the us national motocross races and most of the women's league races as a spectator/uber-cheerleader until i started racing downhill. then that took up every weekend and last penny. i miss the mx races, but :love: it's influence on my mtn biking so it's all good.

trail riding is so much fun but i could also spend an entire day doing laps on a track. i've been eyeing that bike you mentioned for a while. it looks perfrect for someone's first bike and i hear it's a blast on trails. GET IT!!!! don't pass it up. injuries...schminjuries.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
KPicha said:
Geez, I hope trailriding isn't as injury prone as MX! I may have to rethink this. Have you found that your injuries have come from slow speed, "stupid" mistakes, like that happen on the mtn bike or did they come from pushing the limits or were they totally out of blue type ones.

By the way, can I pick your brains for less than retail online shops for gear? :) or did you buy all of your gear from your local shop?
I think trailriding is somewhat safer than MX...at least for me I think it would be. When I would hit the MX track, I was always pushing myself to go faster, race the boys, go bigger on jumps, yadda yadda yadda. Probably how I ended up on the ground with a busted ankle.

I got all my gear via industry hookup for the most part. What I had to pay for (like boots), I bought through Fox's industry employee purchase. So to answer your question, I really don't know of any discount gear retailers. Ebay's always a good place to start if you have an idea of what you're looking for! :)

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
OCDH said:
Miss riding moto with you Jill - went to the track today with a big group. It was fun, but it was so hot that I drank an entire gallon of water myself :mad:
I miss riding with you, too!!!:( We'll have to do some DH soon since all my bikes lack an engine now :).

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Well, bummer. I just checked out the used TT-R and it doesn't have an electric start and the salesguy had a hard time starting it. So, that didn't bode well for me, a total newbie. Plus, he was such a dork. Even though I told him I was completely new at this stuff, he didn't bother telling me how anything works or anything.

I called up another shop to see if they had any of that same bike, used and they didn't but they did offer me a good deal on a new Honda CRF100F plus 15% any gear and lifetime of 10% off future purchases. Not quite the bike I wanted since it doesn't have a disc brake in the front and the gas tank is a little smaller and unfortunately, they don't carry Yamahas. The sales guy on the phone was really helpful and I didn't feel like I was pulling teeth out of a donkey to get information. There's one other Yamaha dealer I want to check out but they're closed today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Dirt bikes are tons of fun!!! But it does make it more difficult to choose what to do on the weekends. I unfortunately don't have mine any longer (traded 'em in for scooters to commute work to save gas money) but I do hope to have one again someday. I never really hit the track with mine, mainly trails, but I have a gut feeling I might have sooner or later ended up in the same position as dhjill pushing myself to keep up with the boys :p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Edit: Try and link here http://community.webshots.com/album/90341209ZupynU
Or go to webshots.com and look up memeber Tredfield and find Stumpjumpers September Funday 2003.....the shots are in there. :( dang forbidden links.

My family motorcycle clubs has many of the TTR 125's being used by the ladies. There is a sister bike (real similiar) made by Suzuki DR(?) that is a 4 stroke 125cc bike if that helps you. They like them because they are mid sized bikes and aren't a handfull. Suzuki 125cc trail bike

Trail riding a dirt bike is like XC riding...you can still get hurt but the chances are less likely. Plus you still wear all your MX/DH gear when trial riding...unlike the lycra XC MTBr's wear.

Truthfully I don't know how much a deciding factor a disk front break should be to you when purchasing a play bike as you are looking at. I would look for over all price and value. They are all pretty low maintenance. Things to keep up on for maintenance:

1) Chain is adjusted and oiled before every ride/weekend ride. The chain goes through a lot of abuse and should be taken care of.
2) Motor oil is changed regularly
3) Suspension pivots and wheel bearings are regreased atleast once a year (or atleast twice a year in places like WA state...big long wet season. Once in the spring and once in the fall.)

Most motor maintenance should be non existant. Maybe a clutch (if owner abused) I rode and raced bikes and never replaced clutches...so rider style makes a difference there.

Actually if not to expensive the new Honda CRF 230 is electric start and a little bigger in frame and engine size to make riding more comfortable. I think DH Diva from this board has one. :)

If I can help you let me know.

Rhino

PS I normally get gear locally....unless I can't find what I want. Normally if you are patient there are closeouts or sales going on throughout the year at most shops around here....I did get my pants and jersey via internet but that is because I am fat not because I couldn't find sheap (errr that is supposed to be "cheap" a spelling error I swear! :) ) pants.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Hey, Rhino, thanks for the tips! I really wanted to get a Yamaha b/c of the electric start but the dealer that I liked doesn't carry them but they do carry Suzuki's. I hadn't considered a Suzuki b/c they didn't seem be as reliable as the Yamaha's (from what I've read). Off the top of your head, do you know if the Suzuki 125 has electric start?

Oh yeah, those pics are great! Looks like everyone had an awesome time!! :)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
First off, I'm stoked that more women are getting into dirt bikes! Second, how tall are you? My concern is that you are going to out grow a TT125 very quickly. I'm only 5'4" and comfortably ride a Honda CR230F. I know your looking at the Yami's, but I just wanted to let you know how happy I am with my CR230F (Honda). Their smaller version, the CF150F, also comes with electric start and a front disc for 2004. I have been completely happy with my honda. When I bought my bike, I looked at the yamaha tt225 and tt125. The older models were very heavy, and did not come as well equipped as the hondas did. When I first started looking, the CRf230's weren't available yet. I ended up waiting a year to buy a bike because I wasn't happy with what was available in my size (primarily the yami tt225 and tt125). If your close to my height I would recommend going with something the size of the 230. I do not recommend the yami tt225. I test rode one extensively. They are heavy, don't have that much get up and go, and are a little rougher in the suspension department than the hondas. I don't want to discourage you from the bike your looking at, I just want to let you know my experience with another line of bikes that you may not have considered. Often times, new women riders sell themselves short and get the smaller bike because they think thats all they need. I guarantee that in a couple of months you'll out grow the smaller bike and want something with some more get up and go. If you have any more questions just let me know. You can also give me ring if you want to talk, just pm me and I'll send you my number.

As far as injuries on the dirt bike? Well, I have found that with trail riding, which is what I primarily do, you don't get hurt the same as MX. I also have found it to be safer than dh racing. I actually ride my dirt bike when I'm injured from mountain biking to stay fit.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
You know, you're making some good points that have actually been on my mind. I am 5'4", also and only having sat on the TT125 and moved it around, I got the feeling that I might outgrow it rather quickly. On the other hand, I don't actually plan on riding more than once a month as any riding areas are at least an hour away and I don't really have that kind of time luxury. I will check out that CR150F though now that you mention it. It may be small enough to enjoy now but give me some growing room, too and I know that the dealership that I like has one. Plus, I'm not exactly a lightweight either :)

The 225 Yami wasn't even a consideration. I had read, like you said, it was too heavy. Is your 230F your first bike? I'm trying to keep the cost around $2K- I know- its nothing at all and Honda is having a $200 rebate going right now so maybe I could get that 150 down some :)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
If your at all worried about out growing just after sitting on it, then I'm worried that you might out grow it really fast. Even if you are only planning on riding once a month, you'll be surprised how fast your skill level improves. The first time I ever rode a dirt bike, I borrowed my friends itty bitty bike. By the next time I went out, I was riding my other friends little bit bigger bike. I don't know if the honda cr150f is bigger than the tt125 or not. I would compare some specs and compare wheel sizes also. The smaller the bike, the smaller the wheels, which equals limited tire selection. Smaller wheels also ride a little rougher, because just like on a mountain bike, little wheels don't role over terrain as easily. They tend to get stuck in holes instead of rolling over stuff. Just something to consider. Keep us posted on what you find!

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have been riding moto 2-3 times a month for the last 6 months, and it is amazing how much work it is! You would think that having a throttle would make it easy, but trust me, it is a complete body workout!

I am finally getting used to riding, and it is really weird how I feel much safer on my moto than on my dh bike - it just feels so much more solid, especially when I am in the air.

I did my first race about a month ago - had to race the guys 'cause there were no other women. I had a great time, and made my goal of not getting lapped.

My next goal is to learn to trail ride.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
Hey, Rhino, thanks for the tips! I really wanted to get a Yamaha b/c of the electric start but the dealer that I liked doesn't carry them but they do carry Suzuki's. I hadn't considered a Suzuki b/c they didn't seem be as reliable as the Yamaha's (from what I've read). Off the top of your head, do you know if the Suzuki 125 has electric start?

Oh yeah, those pics are great! Looks like everyone had an awesome time!! :)
Link to Suzuki DR125L I don't see a kickstarter but didn't find mention of a E-button. :think:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DRZ125LK5/Default.aspx

the Twin sister (same bike) KLX 125L (this looks like a kickstarter)
http://www.kawasaki.com/index2.asp

Keep in mind starting any of these bikes is not hard at all....AND if you were to have trouble starting the electric start....once teh battery is dead you are about done. :eek: They are not tuff at all to start so that shouldn't be a big concern either.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Keep in mind starting any of these bikes is not hard at all....AND if you were to have trouble starting the electric start....once teh battery is dead you are about done. :eek: They are not tuff at all to start so that shouldn't be a big concern either.[/QUOTE]

The one thing to remember though, is that although most of them are not hard to start while sitting on flat ground, at the beginning of a ride, get your bike stuck on a side hill, half way through a 40 mile ride, with little short girl legs and it can get quite difficult. Even on my first bike, which was about 3-4 inches shorter than my CR230F, if I was standing on the downhill side of my bike I couldn't reach the kickstarter with my little legs. The "magic" button made all the world of difference to me, and to lots of short women I know who ride. I have yet to have starting problems, and even if something happens and the button doesn't work, you can always role start it. Just some more things to consider.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DH Diva said:
The one thing to remember though, is that although most of them are not hard to start while sitting on flat ground, at the beginning of a ride, get your bike stuck on a side hill, half way through a 40 mile ride, with little short girl legs and it can get quite difficult. Even on my first bike, which was about 3-4 inches shorter than my CR230F, if I was standing on the downhill side of my bike I couldn't reach the kickstarter with my little legs. The "magic" button made all the world of difference to me, and to lots of short women I know who ride. I have yet to have starting problems, and even if something happens and the button doesn't work, you can always role start it. Just some more things to consider.
:D I am built like a knuckle dragger...... 29" inseam and 5'11" tall. I understand short legs and the problems that come with it...1st off all buying pants that dont catch the heals of my shoes. ;) So though mine don't look good in stockings....I have short leg syndrome aslo. lol

If you kill it on a hill and can't get it started there....you can always back down and try again. At best I believe on a trial bike the battery should be a secondary system with a primary kickstart. At a moto track it isn't a concern. It shouldn't be a selling point. I am all for having both, but just a push button scares me...more to break or go wrong.

On two ocassions have I seen a dead battery on a dirt bike while riding....both times on bikes riding in the rain and most likely drowned. Battery couldn't start the bike and was dead by the time they got everything dry and ready to rock. Point is it is dead in the water without a kickstarter.

I rode a dual purpose bike (DRS350) and had starting troubles and drained the battery...we think she was to hot and was being finicky. Luckily the bike was close to the truck at the end of the ride. A simple carborater problem and some long attempts at starting them will leave it dead also....it happens...especially when you don't want it to.

My mother is 5' 3/4" ;) tall and rode a fullsize honda XR (200 were full size back in the day) and could start it easily. People short and tall dealt with what you have for ages and there are always options but a bike you can kick over with your hand shouldn't worry you. A 650 XL Honda is a little tough to kick over and over...but the little 125 engines are cake. I think people should be comfortable with starting a bike with a kickstarter....it really isn't an obsticle that should hold someone from getting a small bike like we are talking about.

Nice to have? yes. Neccesity? No. Should you ignore a nice bike because it doesn't have E-start? Definately not. I have spent more miles than I can even begin to wrap around riding with my mother and other ladies in our club growing up and can see how the E-start is nice, I also know that ladies are perfectly capable to ride without them. I think they should be available but with a kickstarter also just incase there is trouble.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
riding tips for kickstarting a dirt bike when on a steep side hill. By RhinofromWA ;)

When found in a situation where the slope is falling away to your left and there isnot enough room to safely kick start your bike:

a) find a near by tree (or boulder, or hillside if it is steep enough) to rest your shoulder on while standing and kicking your bike over

b) If you are feeling daring, jump up and stab at the starter taking care to not highside (always good for an adrenaline rush)

c) Have a friend hold your bike while you start it.

d) if descending, bump start the bike

e) if starting is not an option and you are ascending. Turn the bike around and find a flat position to both start and get a run at the hill. Most often that is easier than starting mid hill.

f) If found in scenario e) you can (I hate to do it but if you can) roll your bike back and off the hill sideways to start and attempt the hill again.

g) toss the bike down the slope and walk home. :eek: (I have seen this before) :D

I did use a E=button on my last trail ride (DRS350 again) on a nasty switchback that I had to stop on when the rider ahead of me crashed. But all I needed to do was turn around and try it again. That is part of the fun.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
It really comes down to weighing your options. Unfortuanately, most small size bikes come with either a kick start, or an E-button. There are few that have both. The other problem with both is weight. Adding the battery, and the kickstart just make a heavier bike, which on a small bike is not a good thing. I guess you have to choose wether you want to struggle a little every time you ride (and possibly several times duing a ride depending on what type of trails you ride), or take that chance that maybe, once in a great great while, you may end up with a dead battery/battery malfunction. If you maintain your bike properly, check your seals and wiring regularly, frying a battery because of moisture is rare. My riding experience was greatly bettered by having the electric start on my bike. Yes there are ways to kickstart in difficult situations. You can find a tree, ect. But when your riding with a bunch of guys on WR 400's, the quicker you get going again the better! There's nothing like having a bunch of dudes have to wait for you while you try and prop up against something to start your bike! Again, it just comes down to what is really important to you as a rider.

:)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DH Diva said:
Again, it just comes down to what is really important to you as a rider.

:)
True true.

Tell the guys to piss off and then ride circles around them :thumb: Never be embarrassed about making a second attempt at a hill or doing things different than a guy (taller person or whatever) I bet seeing a young lady attempting a hill they didn't make it up over agin gets more respect from your riding buddies than you think. Any girl who rips it up (rides at all) on a moto gets much respect from me. Dh too but we are talking moto's...I don't know anyone who rolls their eyes at a lady on the trail unless they happen to throw a fit....that doesn't fly. :)

Hey DH Diva you still loving your 230? Or are you wanting something bigger? Check out Tredfields website....he has a bunch of pics of our club stuff and other WA rides. Some good stuff in there. There is a lot so I hope you have dial up :eek:

Rhino "die-hard kickstarter old school motoboy" fromWA

PS- the batteries didn't die because of water they died because the engine was drowned and the bike wouldn't start before the bike dried out. It is similiar if you crash and flood the engine...if it doesn't start you need to figure things out before the battery goes dead.

Here is what I remember to do if you flood a bike: (Submerged or run water into a bike via a river crossing or deap puddle etc)

Tilt bike upside down, remove spark plug, drain water from cylinder and head, turn wheel... pumping bad gas/water mix out, and continue until engine is free of bad bad water. (Water doesn't burn and it doesn't compress very well so the engine no likey....need to get tat crap out)

Let dry.

Hope to god you didn't kill the batteries before you gave up and started the annoying process of drying out your bike. :D

Do that 2 or 3 times and I swear you will give up bikes altogether. But welcome to the PNW we ride in the rain....and the snow melt streams.

Used to be, an E start weighs more than kickstarters. *shrugs* maybe they have figured that out....a kickstarter generally won't fail you....if it does you have a whole other bunch of new problems. :D

I have logged to many miles.....it is insane

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
''Never be embarrassed about making a second attempt at a hill or doing things different than a guy (taller person or whatever) I bet seeing a young lady attempting a hill they didn't make it up over agin gets more respect from your riding buddies than you think''

I actually have a better hill climb record than most of the guys I ride with! What gets me into trouble is letting my rear end come around and get me on slick fast stuff! Thats always a fun feeling...WHOOSH...Spin...Spin...Spin...come to stop, figure out which way is up...find bike!

Yeah, I really had a hard time finding a bike that met my demands. Thats probably why it took a year! I wanted a bike that had good parts on it, a front disc for sure, good suspension, not too heavy, short enough for me to get a toe down, easy starting (those xr's can be a b*tch when they get warm, or cold for that matter!) and actually had some get up and go. So far, I love my 230 and it has met all my requirements. I test rode several (different generations, including new) xr 200's. The 230 has way more kick to it. I installed the "up" kit. Which pretty much consists of uncorking the pipe, and rejetting the carb. Gave it much more kick, all for about $20! It's much peppier than it was stock. Next, upgrade will be an aftermarket pipe. It hasn't run out of power yet, but if it does, I have heard rumors that you can now get them bored and stroked to a 250 (probably for all those short thrill seeking ladies like myself ;) ). I'll probably do that to it if anything. I'm so happy with the fit that I can't imagine riding anything else now! And I got a screaming deal on it!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm also investigating putting an inverted fork on it. I've heard that with a little modification, a fork that would fit say a KX 100 will work on my bike, if you want a plusher front end. I love modifying stuff!

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Wow, you're really into this stuff big time! So, where does your money go? Mtn biking or motoing? or both? :)

All of you have given me alot to think about. It may just come down to finances in the end and I'll end up with the smaller bike.Hubby's not too happy about another money grubbing hobby I'm about to pick up :D

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
DH DIva has a good point...the TTR 125's and CRF100's are teenie tiny. The YZ250F would be a nice bike for you...it's a 4-stroke 125-class bike...but they are expensive because they are all the rage right now. If you are unsure whether you want to ride trails or MX, this is an option. The TTR bikes are pretty much trail-only bikes. I mean, you can take them to the track, but they are heavier and the geometry is more for trails.

If I get another bike, I'll probably get a YZ250F (however that could be a BAD choice since I'm afraid I'd eventually wind up on the track again) or a TTR225. A dual sport bike would be cool, too. Then you can just ride to the trails (moto-loading sucks unless you have help!).

Keep us posted! :)

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Boy, I wish you ladies were over here on the East Coast :) We definitely need more "dangerous" women here ;)

I checked into the specs of the YX250 and, Yowzaaa :eek:, that seat height is TALL. I'm almost positive that I'll only be doing trail riding so an MX bike wouldn't be the way to go right now.

All of you have given some great input that I hadn't even considered before, especially the thought of trying to kickstart on a hill. That alone is enough for me to make an electric start priority. Funny, I was absolutely sure that the Yamaha TT-R125 was going to be the bike for me (I couldn't believe that bike was the same weight as me :eek: :) ) but now I'm seriously considering the Honda CRF150F. I'll have to go check that out today.

Hey, keep your fingers crossed for rain today so I have an excuse not to do our group ride and go hang out at the local off-road club meeting :devil: . Apparently, there's a waiting list to be able to belong to this club and alot of local members have land that they ride on. :thumb:

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
TreeSaw said:
I live on the east coast...and I would :love: a dirtbike!!!! Just gotta convince the hubby (yeah, we're a little backwards too) :D
Ha, I'm in the same boat now. :( He's not liking this idea very much and I don't want to push my luck :( It might be a little longer than I thought before I can get one.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DH Diva said:
I actually have a better hill climb record than most of the guys I ride with! What gets me into trouble is letting my rear end come around and get me on slick fast stuff! Thats always a fun feeling...WHOOSH...Spin...Spin...Spin...come to stop, figure out which way is up...find bike!
:thumb: Sweet :) Any moto crash you can walk away from.....:D

Yeah, I really had a hard time finding a bike that met my demands. Thats probably why it took a year! I wanted a bike that had good parts on it, a front disc for sure, good suspension, not too heavy, short enough for me to get a toe down, easy starting (those xr's can be a b*tch when they get warm, or cold for that matter!) and actually had some get up and go. So far, I love my 230 and it has met all my requirements. I test rode several (different generations, including new) xr 200's. The 230 has way more kick to it. I installed the "up" kit. Which pretty much consists of uncorking the pipe, and rejetting the carb. Gave it much more kick, all for about $20! It's much peppier than it was stock. Next, upgrade will be an aftermarket pipe. It hasn't run out of power yet, but if it does, I have heard rumors that you can now get them bored and stroked to a 250 (probably for all those short thrill seeking ladies like myself ;) ). I'll probably do that to it if anything. I'm so happy with the fit that I can't imagine riding anything else now! And I got a screaming deal on it!
All that plus the fork thing...........:think:

You know I am in the marked for a sugar momma....:) Nothing sexual of course, but if you like spending money.......

I am your money pit. lol

I was going to ask you if you have passed the suspension level yet.....and are looking for more/better suspension in a bike. That is the other flip side to them trail bikes....the better you get and the faster you make them go the suspension soon becomes the part that holds the experience back.

Kepp on rock'n that moto Dh Diva :thumb: :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
Ha, I'm in the same boat now. :( He's not liking this idea very much and I don't want to push my luck :( It might be a little longer than I thought before I can get one.
Look long and hard at used bikes....often you save much more than any rebate and most 125 TTR type bikes have not been ridden hard.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
dhjill said:
DH DIva has a good point...the TTR 125's and CRF100's are teenie tiny. The YZ250F would be a nice bike for you...it's a 4-stroke 125-class bike...but they are expensive because they are all the rage right now. If you are unsure whether you want to ride trails or MX, this is an option. The TTR bikes are pretty much trail-only bikes. I mean, you can take them to the track, but they are heavier and the geometry is more for trails.
The TTR's are heavier comparably.

But the 250F is more expensive because it is a full on race machine. It is on a totally different level than a trail bike like the TTR125 etc.

I want a KTM 200 or 250cc 2 stroke EXC....and they are about $5-6k new....:( So I am looking used. :)

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
RhinofromWA said:
Look long and hard at used bikes....often you save much more than any rebate and most 125 TTR type bikes have not been ridden hard.
You know, I was told that by someone else, too but after seeing that used one at the dealer, I'm not so sure. It was clean and all but still took a boatload of effort for the salesguy to start. I've only seen one in my area come up for sale and it was gone in a day or two :eek:! Wasn't the E one, though.

As far as gear goes, I'm not quite ready to plunk down a boatload for boots. Would work boots or hiking boots be sufficient for a while? I really have to minimize the costs of all this in order to get my "selling" points across to my husband, if you know what I mean ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
You know, I was told that by someone else, too but after seeing that used one at the dealer, I'm not so sure. It was clean and all but still took a boatload of effort for the salesguy to start. I've only seen one in my area come up for sale and it was gone in a day or two :eek:! Wasn't the E one, though.

As far as gear goes, I'm not quite ready to plunk down a boatload for boots. Would work boots or hiking boots be sufficient for a while? I really have to minimize the costs of all this in order to get my "selling" points across to my husband, if you know what I mean ;)
There is probably a reason that the TTR sold in a couple days and the other one is sitting in the shop....still.

A crappy used bike is a crappy used bike. A good used bike is a gem. Problem is you need to be ready with cash in hand if you are going to jump on a clean rig. Not all used bikes are clean...but the ones that are will save you loads of cash.

The one on the show room floor I have some theories on....
- Dork couldn't start to catch a cold let alone start a bike ;)
- Bike had jetting issues...or was abused.
- There was a reason it was traded in to a dealer...don't by someone elses basket case.

I will say this as clear as I can. if you find a e-button a=go for it...but you don't need it. I am confident you can start a TTR by yourself in dang near any situation. This should not steer you away from a cleanused rig or even a new one on closeout. If you get a E-start bonus for you (I guess :) ) but it shouldn't worry you.

Boots can be had for under $100 easy. Check out Oneal for their cheap ones. Tall lace up boots are OK for starters, but catching a toe and twisting(breaking) your ankle because you didn't have the support of the MX boot is a possibility especially when learning....fresh riders tend to dab and drag their feet. ;) Gear to get first(in this order):
1- Helmet $50-100
2- boots and MX socks $70-120
3- Knee Pads $20
4- Gloves $20
5- MX pants $50-120
6- Jersey $20-50
7- Chest Protector/Body Armor (I can explain to you why a "chest protector" is more than just covering your chest, or more than a roost gaurd)

Online retailers can sell you a whole package dang near for a few hundred dollars....look in a MX magazine and check out the stores. that is the easiest way.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
RhinofromWA said:
Boots can be had for under $100 easy. Check out Oneal for their cheap ones. Tall lace up boots are OK for starters, but catching a toe and twisting(breaking) your ankle because you didn't have the support of the MX boot is a possibility especially when learning....fresh riders tend to dab and drag their feet.
Get the boots asap! Other than your helmet they are the single most important piece of gear you can own!! Even an experienced rider can come around a turn, lean into the low bushes, and find a big old stump with their shin. $100 for boots up front is much cheaper than a busted up leg/foot and the associated doctor bills. Having a nice stiff boot also helps with shifting and your feet don't get so tired so fast.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Wow, I know this isn't the appropriate place for this kind of discussion so I AM REALLLLY Grateful for your kind tips!! I wish you guys lived closer so I had someone to see me through the baby steps of getting started. It seems that there are hardly any groups in this area that "cater" to newbies, unlike the mtn bike world where everyone is so willing to lend a hand.

Ok, well, I trust your judgement so I guess it'll be helmet and boots first. Those things are so freaky looking. Reminds of when I first started mtn biking and thought the same thing. Its a wonder they haven't come out with clipless MX boots! :eek: lol-can you imagine?! Anyway, I've been doing some poking around and did see some on close-out for a measley $60. :)

Geez, what the he!! am I doing!?!? I've never even started a bike much less ridden one! This is going to be a fun adventure! :D

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
KPicha said:
NO!!!!! Do NOT wear work boots when you ride! Take it from someone who broke their ankle wearing high-end boots (Fox Forma Bubbas). I couldn't even imagine what I would have done to my ankle not wearing them. You can buy boots used...buy the best you can afford. Alpinestars Tech 8's, Fox Forma's, Sidi are good brands. You can go cheap on pants, gloves, jersey, etc., but like a helmet, boots are something you don't want to skimp on.

Sorry...didn't mean to scare you you don't wanna ride without a good pair of moto boots :) You can ride nekkid if it floats yer boat...just don't ferget yer boots and helmet!!! :)

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
RhinofromWA said:
Agreed...sometimes you inherit someone elses problem but sometimes you find a good one that the husband bought for the wife that ended up being "too much bike". Have you priced out new TTR 125's? You said you want to stay as close to $2K as possible. My friend bought one a few months ago and I think she only paid $2500 brand new. If you remain patient, you can probably find one in the $2K range used.