Quantcast

How long until we see Di2 on a DH bike?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I didn't provide that website.

The prices I quickly pulled were from Jenson and Performance, in dollars. I spent less time doing a google search than its taking me to type this sentence. What's your excuse for not doing the same before posting?

As someone who actually works with Di2 on a daily basis, I couldn't help but chime in in this thread. This forum is notorious for unfounded speculation and criticism, and downright stupidity. Di2 is not one of those products people should be dismissing, in my opinion.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I didn't provide that website.

The prices I quickly pulled were from Jenson and Performance, in dollars. I spent less time doing a google search than its taking me to type this sentence. What's your excuse for not doing the same before posting?

As someone who actually works with Di2 on a daily basis, I couldn't help but chime in in this thread. This forum is notorious for unfounded speculation and criticism, and downright stupidity. Di2 is not one of those products people should be dismissing, in my opinion.
Is that the case with all forums?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
ultegra di2 right infront of me in my catalogue, 460 the rear der. canadian. ( probly a lil cheaper )

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Anything automatic will end up working 90% of the time but the 10% will annoy the crap out of you. Have tried the new passat? Auto lock, start/stop and auto a/c make you want to kill that car.
Precisely why I said not full auto. Just an over ride system that you could set parameters. once at X RPM, shift down X gears.
I will stick to my Skoda Vrs :) Aint old enough for a Passat yet :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Even with that you would probably still get some stupid shifts. Though if you had extensive beta testing (think banshee proto program they do with some of their frames) you could iron out the issues.

As for the Passat - yeah. As much as I like driving my mothers Passat it's softish.

Which Skoda VRS btw? Octavia? I drove one with the sports package but with that 170PS diesel engine. I like how they setup the suspension on that car. The brakes are a bit on/off for traffic and it get's a bit annoying.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Even with that you would probably still get some stupid shifts. Though if you had extensive beta testing (think banshee proto program they do with some of their frames) you could iron out the issues.

As for the Passat - yeah. As much as I like driving my mothers Passat it's softish.

Which Skoda VRS btw? Octavia? I drove one with the sports package but with that 170PS diesel engine. I like how they setup the suspension on that car. The brakes are a bit on/off for traffic and it get's a bit annoying.
In my world, there would be two shift buttons. One on each side of the bar. Upshift on right downshift on left. You could push or pull. Press the button once to get one shift, or hold it down and it keeps shifting until you let go. Of course, you could program it to do anything you want, and I wouldn't be opposed to automating it with a speed sensor so it would know to dump all of the gears when you slowed down.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland

I agree about the brakes, they are very bitey, but quite powerfull. I have the Octavia wagon with the 2.0l FSI and six speed manual. As nice as my XT forester, would be better AWD though.
Back to bikes. I agree, the system would need testing. And I will beta test all my frames. I am making 5 frames now for that reason. Same as Banshee did with the Legend.
In my world, there would be two shift buttons. One on each side of the bar. Upshift on right downshift on left. You could push or pull. Press the button once to get one shift, or hold it down and it keeps shifting until you let go. Of course, you could program it to do anything you want, and I wouldn't be opposed to automating it with a speed sensor so it would know to dump all of the gears when you slowed down.
This is exactly what I want to do.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
In my world, there would be two shift buttons. One on each side of the bar. Upshift on right downshift on left.
This product already exists. The Di2 sprint shifters (Dura Ace only until next year) can be set up and programmed the way you described. This stuff is very simple since it all runs on binary. Buttons and levers can be programmed in various configurations using the software. There isn't a way to hold and dump gears, based on the binary aspect of 1 click 1 shift, but who knows, maybe there will be an app for that someday :P There's certainly alot of room for advancements in the future.

Last edited: