Quantcast

How bad an idea is this?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Skip to the part where you realize you will use the jogging stroller about 4 times and keep the WRX.

Pro tip: You will use a cheap $25 stroller with umbrella handles ten times as much as some bulky piece of crap.
Quoted for truth. You MAY use a stroller for a few months, and you will own that car for years. I think we only used a big stroller a couple of times and we used the umbrella one for just a few months. I would not buy a vehicle one way or another over a stroller.
That said, my next vehicle is going to be a wagon as well. They are just so damn useful. I think i am gonna get a tdi sportwagen, as I really like them, but the used prices on those Bmw's are a head scratcher to me. You can get a 08 Bmw 328 wagon for the same price as the 2010 tdi sportwagen. That is a huge difference compared to where the prices start at on a new one. Are Bmw's that much of a turd trap to own?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
They are just so damn useful. I think i am gonna get a tdi sportwagen, as I really like them, but the used prices on those Bmw's are a head scratcher to me. You can get a 08 Bmw 328 wagon for the same price as the 2010 tdi sportwagen. That is a huge difference compared to where the prices start at on a new one. Are Bmw's that much of a turd trap to own?
Yeah, I suspect that the second ANYTHING goes wrong with it, it will likely cost a minimum of $1Grandollars.

As far as the Sportwagon goes, it's gotta be the diesel. They're always expensive to buy.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, I suspect that the second ANYTHING goes wrong with it, it will likely cost a minimum of $1Grandollars.

As far as the Sportwagon goes, it's gotta be the diesel. They're always expensive to buy.
Plus the one you showed has 126000km on it. I would want one with half or something to avoid to many repairs.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
NEVER! But maybe. Not yet... Maybe with another kid. I think I'd sooner go big wagon though. Those V70s are massive.

V70R AWD!
the V70 isnt all too big. i have one but ive been searching everywhere for a good V70R since the 2.4L in mine is a dog and it handles like dog poop

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you want something that will no doubt cost quite a bit to maintain why not get something a bit more economical? Volvo V70R would be equally unreliable but easier to mod and would use around a third less fuel around town.

Jan 15, 2013
Maybe fit one bike in the back. Anything VW or BMW is going to get expensive long term. We were a 100% loyal VW family until the last 3 all kept breaking down at random times. With very low mileage. Just could not trust they would work with the wife and kids out alone.

Friend of mine is a service manager at BMW and says you would be crazy to buy one. 75% of all new ones sold come back within a couple of months with some issue. He even sold his X5 because of the troubles he was having.

Anywho, when the VW's worked they were a blast to drive. I currently use a Dodge Caravan to haul bike stuff. Fits 3 29ers in the back no problem.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't see the appeal of the Audi, it looks neither tough or classy.

My sister just bought a 2010 3L diesel Touareg, damn it's nice to drive but it will be interesting to see if is reliable, two year extended warranty is $8000, my guess is they aren't that reliable.

EVO wagon ;) reliable, fast and really tough.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have almost that exact car, an 04 allroad with 4.2 engine. Is it a bad idea, I don't know, probably not any worse than a BMW or VW or similar age. I bought mine 3 years ago with 38k miles, it has 85k miles now. I haven't had any major issues, but have experienced all of the typical allroad issues like leaky air springs, worn control arm bushings, leaky valve covers, bad starter, weird SAI issues, etc. I have put about $6000 of regular maintenance and repairs into it, and about $2500 of 'mods' (sway bars, extra tires/wheels, ECU upgrade, mp3 player, etc) over those years.

I will say as a do everything car, it is great. Can fit tons of stuff inside (easily two DH bikes + camping gear for weekend trips), can handle 4x4 dirt roads and snowy roads with ease, yet is reasonably quick and powerful at all speeds, and handling is still better than most cars. I really like having a V8 engine. Downsides are poor fuel economy (I average probably 15mpg city, 19-20mpg highway), and it's getting older so more issues can surface, plus interior is a bit creaky.

rav400 and my allroad at Plattekill

On the way to local trails last fall

Yeah yeah... They just LOOK so nice...

I'll probably wind up with one of these...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/3559966732.html
I seriously considered one of those before I bought the allroad. It is probably the more reliable and economical choice, but fit and finish and features are not as nice. Handling is not quite as good since it sits higher (similar to allroad level 3).

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have almost that exact car, an 04 allroad with 4.2 engine. Is it a bad idea, I don't know, probably not any worse than a BMW or VW or similar age. I bought mine 3 years ago with 38k miles, it has 85k miles now. I haven't had any major issues, but have experienced all of the typical allroad issues like leaky air springs, worn control arm bushings, leaky valve covers, bad starter, weird SAI issues, etc. I have put about $6000 of regular maintenance and repairs into it, and about $2500 of 'mods' (sway bars, extra tires/wheels, ECU upgrade, mp3 player, etc) over those years.

I will say as a do everything car, it is great. Can fit tons of stuff inside (easily two DH bikes + camping gear for weekend trips), can handle 4x4 dirt roads and snowy roads with ease, yet is reasonably quick and powerful at all speeds, and handling is still better than most cars. I really like having a V8 engine. Downsides are poor fuel economy (I average probably 15mpg city, 19-20mpg highway), and it's getting older so more issues can surface, plus interior is a bit creaky.

rav400 and my allroad at Plattekill

On the way to local trails last fall

I seriously considered one of those before I bought the allroad. It is probably the more reliable and economical choice, but fit and finish and features are not as nice. Handling is not quite as good since it sits higher (similar to allroad level 3).
Yeah, as much as I like cars, I really hate when they aren't fully functional.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
They are boring. Boring, reliable, decent economy, roomy vehicles.

They're kinda the Honda minivan of wagons.
I question the roominess... The new outbacks look big, but that one I posted seemed less so... I'll do some testing.

I have no intention of ever putting any bikes inside. That's what racks are for...

I like volvo wagons. They're huge inside...

Meh. I'll be getting this right after my SB-66... Not any time soon.