Quantcast

Hope compatibility

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Building a new front wheel which means I need a new rotor (currently have 5-bolt). Want to get one of the fancy new hope floating 205mm rotors with the alloy carrier, but I have an old style M4 brake. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Anyone know how much of the pad will contact the disc on this setup?

cheers

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
OK, next question. I have a 165mm M4 on the back of my GT, what are my options for going larger. I think it's:

185mm: New caliper half or get a +20 adapter

205mm: New caliper and get a +20 adapter

Do the 185mm hope rotors come in floating/alloycarrier versions, or is that 205mm only?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
You should be fine.

I had M4s last year and the M6s now, the rotor thickness is the same, an 8in M4 is a 205mm just like the 205mm M6 rotor. As for pad height, they are about the same so you should be fine there too.

and yes a 185mm M6 rotor is made, i have one. a 20mm adapter on the rear and a 205mm M6 rotor would work fine too,

Just so you know, M6 rotors are quite pricy if you dont get a good deal from somewhere, and since only M6 rotors still fit last years sizes 205 (8in) 185 (7in) and 165 (6in) you are limited to he M6 floating rotors, as the Mono4s and Mono Minis use a 200 (8in) 180 (7in) and a 160 (6in)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
ViolentVolante said:
only M6 rotors still fit last years sizes 205 (8in) 185 (7in) and 165 (6in) you are limited to he M6 floating rotors, as the Mono4s and Mono Minis use a 200 (8in) 180 (7in) and a 160 (6in)
Yup, knew that, cheers though :)

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Don't they make an adapter to bring the 165 caliper to a 205mm disc directly?
Isn't the adapter is much cheaper than the caliper half?
I need to get a bigger disc up front as well (165mm M4), but don't want to go broke doing it.
Also, will Avid 8" discs work with the hopes? I've got a pair unused.

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
Seeing as this is where the hope experts are hangin'...
I have a #8 205 mono 4 caliper on a z150, if I get switch to a manitou slider do I need an adapter or a different caliper?
Thanks in advance.
PS, the bike is green. :dancing:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm very tempted to put a 205mm on the rear, but it'd be stupid right, I should stick to a size smaller than the front, 185.

I want the 205, but I know it's not needed, and obviously it's more weight, etc... whaddya reckon? :)

I'll probably go with a new caliper half instead since it seems like such a horrible bodge to me to use an adapter - does anyone know if new caliper half will come with the new seals needed to fit the old pistons (I presume so?) Maybe it even comes with new pistons?

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Calipperhalves comes complete, ready to bolt right on. (at least from UKBS and Chainreaction)

# 5 = 165mm front - 20 rear
# 3 = 185mm front - 20 rear
# 8 = 205mm front - 20 rear

When using a Dorado with the IS adaper, you need a 205 disc with a #5 calipper.

I am not sure but, I think you need a #5, a 205 rotor and the Hope IS/Post adapter.

Or, you can buy a new Mono M4 #11.74mm. calipper and a 180mm rotor.

E

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
- seb said:
I'm very tempted to put a 205mm on the rear, but it'd be stupid right, I should stick to a size smaller than the front, 185.

I want the 205, but I know it's not needed, and obviously it's more weight, etc... whaddya reckon? :)

I'll probably go with a new caliper half instead since it seems like such a horrible bodge to me to use an adapter - does anyone know if new caliper half will come with the new seals needed to fit the old pistons (I presume so?) Maybe it even comes with new pistons?

Good luck finding a new OLD style M4 caliper half. Hope isn't stocking them any more. They are selling whole new caliper's pretty cheap though.

If you put a 205mm in the rear you will need a #8 caliper and a +20mm adapter.

About a month ago I bought a whole caliper from them direct for $50 including the brake pads. Hope has sold out on #5's, but they still had #3's & #8's and I think the one for a Boxxer (#6?).

BTW Seb,

I needed a #5 so I could use a 185mm with a floating brake but since they were sold out I went with #3 and a 205mm rotor.

I didn't like the idea at first but after I rode it I don't have any regrets. Another nice thing is I can have one rotor as back up instead of two different size's.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well my new caliper half has arrived, but I'm wondering now if I should change the piston seals in the other half when I put this new half on? If I don't will I find that one side has considerably more resistance than the other and the pistons wont move together?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
- seb said:
Well my new caliper half has arrived, but I'm wondering now if I should change the piston seals in the other half when I put this new half on? If I don't will I find that one side has considerably more resistance than the other and the pistons wont move together?
Its normally not necessary to change the seals on the older side. Once the seals get fluid on them they will move just as free.