Quantcast

Hero Wide Helmet Camera Video

DIRT-HQ

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
Wales
I hope I'm not spamming, but I made this 360-spinning-helmet-cam gizmo at the weekend for use with the Go Pro Hero Wide.

I'm thinking about taking it to the World Cups, might be a bit dangerous scooting between tress on the DH but I think it might work well on the four-cross.

See what you think.
(Ignore the slow riding from me on the hardtail, just imagine it's an Atherton/Minnaar/Peaty pinning it)

http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/videos/dirttv/dirt-1234729.html

DIRT-HQ

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
Wales
I like the video! how did you do the spinning camera?
Two hours in the workshop with some steel, a welder, a bearing and a bit of plastic pipe, oh and some velcro.

Needs more work, but I'll show you when it's properly finished:-)

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
some well cool footage there, does it spin freely or can you control its position?

Feb 18, 2009
I'd imagine it's free spinning and you control the position using your head correct? By moving your head around you can speed up, slow, stop, or reverse the direction of the spin...

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
This reminds me of that scream-o band that used DH video (link anybody?). Is that were you got the idea from?

I liked the part where you turned a corner and jumped, making the camera swing out, that was a unique shot. :)

Any plans to put up instructions on how to build it...say on instructables.com?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
At the mo it spins freely, though you can control it to some degree with various nodding head movements:thumb:
lol nice idea, it looks awesome! the matrix meets MTB meets macguyver

That's a flippin' awesome vid, dude. I like the song choice. Who's it by?
the artist and title are at the very end, yeah its a good song.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I did something kinda similar last year at diablo - only it didn't spin.

I altered the typical "reverse" looking view with the boom in the front, to make it an "over the shoulder" shot. Never really did anything more with it, since we had to give back our borrowed bullet type camera, but I may experiment a little more in the future, gotta get a better pen cam this time so I can record in at least 520 lines of res.

I never quite got the angle right either but here's an example from Diablo

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
That was very cool. It's amazing that you can control the rotation of that head mounted boom, which I think made the viewing much better and less clostophobic when compared to just the reverse/head-on shot.

Do you have it mounted in a safe way that won't hurt you in a crash?? If so, it would cool to have a better rider do a tailwhip or something with that angle.

Good job and keep it up, as long as the thing is safe anyway.

DIRT-HQ

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
Wales
That was very cool. It's amazing that you can control the rotation of that head mounted boom, which I think made the viewing much better and less clostophobic when compared to just the reverse/head-on shot.

Do you have it mounted in a safe way that won't hurt you in a crash?? If so, it would cool to have a better rider do a tailwhip or something with that angle.

Good job and keep it up, as long as the thing is safe anyway.
I think it's safe!

The velcro fasteners should rip off in a crash, but I'll let the rider decide that before they attempt any thing dangerous.

Hopefully I'll take it to Pietermaritzburg for a run down the World Cup 4x track.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
do you have some sort of counterbalance rigged up to stop the weight tilting your head?