Quantcast

Here we go again

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Seems like the UCI has a strong position against DH growing. Check out this paragraph from a communication published yesterday:

"Rationalising the great appeal for Downhill Mountain Bike, it was agreed to reduce the total number of riders at the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano. This will reduce pressure on the course during training, space required from the organisers, a slightly reduced schedule to give some flexibility in the case of stoppages/red flags, and importantly reduce the wide ability range that currently means some riders are able to access a UCI Mountain Bike World Cup who maybe do not have sufficient experience. In the same spirit, the UCI Management Committee approved to increase the UCI Mountain Bike Team annual registration fee."

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Seems like the UCI has a strong position against DH growing. Check out this paragraph from a communication published yesterday:

"Rationalising the great appeal for Downhill Mountain Bike, it was agreed to reduce the total number of riders at the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano. This will reduce pressure on the course during training, space required from the organisers, a slightly reduced schedule to give some flexibility in the case of stoppages/red flags, and importantly reduce the wide ability range that currently means some riders are able to access a UCI Mountain Bike World Cup who maybe do not have sufficient experience. In the same spirit, the UCI Management Committee approved to increase the UCI Mountain Bike Team annual registration fee."
But on the same token this could also mean more than 7 Races a year because-of.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Honestly, I don't think so. The general policy nowadays is to minimize expenses and maximize revenue, and the UCI isn't any different. Let's see if this affects the number of allowed riders per team.

EDIT: I just found the statement at the UCI site. This catched my eye:

"In order to give more resonance to mass participation events, the UCI World Cycling Tour will be renamed as the UCI Gran Fondo World Series. The Finals will also be renamed the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships, with the 2017 edition being awarded to the city of Albi, France."

So, roadies get mass participation events, while DHers will be relegated once more?

On the good thing, seems like wearable cameras and radio links will be finallyallowed from 2016 on.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i may be the outlier here but i actually think less riders per race isn't a bad idea. how many times have we seen the top qualifiers/teams complain about practice issues (rider bunch ups, slowing of practice runs/less time to get runs in) and track conditions due to so many riders and less experienced riders on track? all the reasons given by the UCI actually make sense to me but hey, i'm not out there so who knows...

i also don't necessarily think this will slow DH growth. that really needs to happen at the grassroots, local and national levels long before riders get to the WC. the specialized grom and intense palmer programs seem to be the right idea to get young riders the experience needed to grow into a potential WC level.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
national races --> ixs european cup --> world cup

just because you're a good national rider shouldn't allow one to start in the world cup already. imho they should prove themselves first at the next higher ranked series, they usually use the same venues as the world cup. the world cup should be the series for the pros only

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
national races --> ixs european cup --> world cup

just because you're a good national rider shouldn't allow one to start in the world cup already. imho they should prove themselves first at the next higher ranked series, they usually use the same venues as the world cup. the world cup should be the series for the pros only
Completely depends what country you're racing in. Not sure what its like anymore but the UK series used to be so competitive that people actually used to do the european cup to get enough UCI points to race world cups. Also you've then got to assume that the US and Australian/NZ series are as highly contested as the European rounds, which if you look at the spread of where riders come from isn't true, or make them all qualify in Europe. Then you are also basically saying if you're a privateer and not from a wealthy background then you can't race in world cups as it will cost far too much to qualify for many.

On the other hand I'm also all for making it more exclusive, if the pool is made smaller then the level can be pushed and the sport progress. If you look at the time spread there are a lot of guys that shouldn't really be at a worldcup

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
true but where do you draw the line? the actual system clearly is not ideal
True - attempt by UCI upon DH criteria-standards will be a losing battle since there's no bike-weight minimum, or even a rider-bike weight minimum like with motor racing. Should this present-itself as a means to regulate the level of competition it too would not be ideal as there's no real way to fashion ballast points on a bike, unlike a car which can have a weight-distribution be managed.

Having WC DH/Enduro/XC be an elite entry field makes the most sense due to the finality of achieving a career-goal at any age bracket within competitive racing. Having teams w/ less than 'endless' budget each year needs oversight and that is where UCI should really do some high-level wargames to have the sport be sustained as the top-tier program.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I agree on simply increasing the points necessary to try and qualify for a WC main event, as well as maybe throw in a couple "qualifier" type races a year. No lolly gagging at the easy races if you need 50 more points than last year, and also have to have placed top 20 at something like a national champs, BDS final or something of the sort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think the two tier format has potential, if done properly. sorta like how moto/super cross run 250 and 450 classes at the same events.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So this move is essentially to cut out all the riders who operate on a shoestring budget/self funded and are midpack riders? Seems like this isn't going to do a great job of bringing new riders in if they raise the cost of entry. We probably wont get to see riders like the Masters brothers, and Matt walker etc anymore if that's the case.

Or, at least, any new riders of their type. I would hope they've made enough of a name for themselves to have the sponsors to stick around. Time will tell I guess.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
How long do mid pack riders hang out in the 100+ race results zone before "blossoming" into top-50 contenders at the WC? This sport is not like Baseball.

I'm sure statistical analysis can be done comparing first DHI entry date to highest career placing.

Are privateers ever contenders in this sport at the highest level? Will we see a random 30 year old guy we've never heard of pop out of his shady van parked in the far corner of the dirt overflow lot to podium a DHI?

There just seem to be quite a few no names in the men's category who never have or will place highly... While the real fast kids crack top 50 and then higher rather quickly in their careers.
The women's field of course has the opposite problem.

Side note: It IS cool seeing local heroes occasionally do well on their home track, and I feel there should be separate "rules" or flexibility for them (like Missy at Windham). Some surf contests actually do that: 25 top world pros and 25 local entrants are invited. USA riders not so much, but UK, France and Oz could provide excellent surprise results that way.