Quantcast

Help WIth Creaks And SRAM 11spd....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay so about 1 month back the squeak began. Granted the bike has been built almost 4 months now. SO that was fast. I took out all linkage bolts and greased them. It help for about 1.4 mile of a climb then squeak started again. This only happens when going uphill. I can put down power on the flats and no noise. I just pulled BB and cranks then greased again. Anybody have any issues with 11SPD being noisy as hell? The derailure has about 2-3 mm of play towards and away from frame. Seems fast to gain slop no?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is this on your Megatrail?

I had the rear axle back out on me once or twice and start to make noise. A little blue locktite sorted that.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Anybody have any issues with 11SPD being noisy as hell?
A lot of the 11 speed SRAM bikes I have built had issues with the cassette creaking, try pulling it and greasing the splines first, and maybe a little grease or oil where the largest cog contacts the cassette. We had a box full of warranty SRAM cassettes at that shop for this reason.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Is this on your Megatrail?

I had the rear axle back out on me once or twice and start to make noise. A little blue locktite sorted that.
Yeah on the Mega. I have grease on the the axle. It was snug when I yanked back wheel....

A lot of the 11 speed SRAM bikes I have built had issues with the cassette creaking, try pulling it and greasing the splines first, and maybe a little grease or oil where the largest cog contacts the cassette. We had a box full of warranty SRAM cassettes at that shop for this reason.
Yeah I have heard there are a bunch of people with loud SRAM 11spd. I need to yank the cassette and add grease onto it. The fit on the Profile is SUPER TIGHT. I think Hope's 11spd will be the next I try.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have no experience with SRAM 11spd but my 10sp type 2 X9 RD clutch was a noisy biatch. Active suspension when mashing the pedals would make the clutch move -> noisy climbs. On the downs, air and tires noise >> RD creaks.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
It could be the hips!

So it creaks when applying power on a climb but not on the flats? Does it creak regardless of if you're seated or standing? I'm guessing it's the seatpost/frame interface.
Well when climbing 95% of the time I am on the seat. But yeah only happens when going up. The BB and rear axle greasing didn't do anything.....maybe I will check post and then driver.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I have the exact same issue and its driving me crazy. So far I have gone through and cleaned, checked tightness on and re-greased pivots, rear axle, bottom bracket and cassette.

Happens when going hard on the pedals sitting or standing.

At this point I suspect the x1 derailleur. If grab it and barely jiggle it front to back it seems to make the same noise from the pivot point where its bolted on to the hanger. I checked to make sure and its on nice and snug. WTF.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
try removing the hanger and greasing the frame/hanger interface. i had a similar creak on my 5.spot that drove me nuts for weeks. turns out it was that.

BigHair

Chimp
Mar 23, 2009
Lube the pulley wheels and all derailleur pivots (i.e. the corners of the parallelogram). Also grease your chainring bolts.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Okay, I'm familiar with this. I warrantied four XX1 derailleurs this summer and learned a little about their clutch settings. My first derailleur had a really firm clutch feel but had to be sent back for a different problem (overly tight B pivot that unscrewed the mount bolt, even with loctite). The replacement felt like there was no clutch. If you pushed it it felt like a normal derailleur and I lost the chain a few times. They sent me a replacement that felt similar. A third replacement (now in early fall) felt in between the first and second ones I had and hasn't dropped a chain. The Sram tech told me that though I loved the original setting it was tight enough that it caused a sound and feel on some bikes so they modified the clutch to only act on sudden and larger bounces. I wasn't the only one who thought they overshot the mark so they went and firmed it back up slightly, but still not as tight as the first year.
So, I guess there's 3 "tunes" of XX1 clutches out there. Don't know about the XO1 and X1