Quantcast

Help selecting seatpost for Evil Imperial

Evil_Rider

Chimp
Jun 9, 2004
Hi Gang,

I currently have a seatpost for my Imperial, however, I think I've bent it. OK...I know I've bent it...not much, but enough that I can't get the seat to go down low enough for my liking. So...I was searching around on-line for a new seatpost and found a Thomson 31.6mm/407mm seatpost for like $85/cdn and I'm wondering if it's worth the premium price. Considering I am not a smooth rider, is it worth the extra $$ for me to get the thomson or is it just as likely to bend as a no-name brand seatpost. Oh yeah, I also like the fact that it's 407mm because I find my current post can't quite go high enough to get a nice extension (and I have short flipper legs).

So, is the Thomson worth it? Do any other manufacturers make a super long 31.6 seatpost? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I have an Azonic HD seat post on my imperial. It's very strong, the post doesn't flex one bit with my fat ass on it. I have a 31.6 x 300 mm never used, i needed the 27.2 so i have one if you want

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
No question, get the Thomson, for $85 CAD, you can't go wrong, it'll be the last seatpost you'll ever buy for the Evil, especially in 31.6mm sizing.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Thomson i always thought paying for them is stupid but when i got it for my heckler everything about it was beautiful and worth it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You could still bend the Thomson, but you're less likely to do it than with any other post I know of (perhaps save those stupid-heavy cromoly posts). Some people bent the 27.2 thomsons on the first Evils if I recall correctly. Hopefully the bigger post has solved the problem.

I'd get the thomson, and if it bent, then I'd buy $10 disposible posts from that point on. But you won't know till you try.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Get the Thomson, its strong enough to remove my Yakima racks off my car without bending (the post, not the racks which I bent to ****).

Yes, I ran my Imperial into my garage the first day it was built.
:stupid: :o:

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
ssaddict said:
Get the Thomson, its strong enough to remove my Yakima racks off my car without bending (the post, not the racks which I bent to ****).

Yes, I ran my Imperial into my garage the first day it was built.
:stupid: :o:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MikeD said:
You could still bend the Thomson, but you're less likely to do it than with any other post I know of (perhaps save those stupid-heavy cromoly posts). Some people bent the 27.2 thomsons on the first Evils if I recall correctly. Hopefully the bigger post has solved the problem.

I'd get the thomson, and if it bent, then I'd buy $10 disposible posts from that point on. But you won't know till you try.
i would be one of those 27.2-post benders, and bostonbullit would be another...

i recommend you stay AWAY from hurricane. thomson is good tho :thumb:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I run the Thompson on my Imperial with no problem and I'd definitely recommend it. I have my Evil set-up for DH and I've never had a problem with the post. No bending or slipping after crashing. It's an "install and forget about it" type of deal.

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Yup. Thomson here. Never had a problem. Evils arent really built for full extension. I would assume that if you have like 6-7" of post showing, its not gonna matter too much what its made out of....thats a lot of stress...over and over....itll most likely shear before it will bend would be my guess.....but i havent really heard of anyone bending a thomson, and they will replace it if you do.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Crash_Tested said:
Yup, I pulled a total Homer.

Thanks to Thomson and DW's over engineering, all I needed to straighten was my Yakima wheel trays. :cool:

I wouldn't worry about riding around with it extented either. My post is 31.6x410mm and I need to run it near full extension all the time cause I'm 6'2".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TickTock said:
Yup. Thomson here. Never had a problem. Evils arent really built for full extension. I would assume that if you have like 6-7" of post showing, its not gonna matter too much what its made out of....thats a lot of stress...over and over....itll most likely shear before it will bend would be my guess.....but i havent really heard of anyone bending a thomson, and they will replace it if you do.
bostonbullit made a post about commuting on his imperial a year or two back, and mentioned that his (27.2) thomson was starting to bend...