Quantcast

Help me yank my crank

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My RF Diablos cranks are ready for retirement for safety's sake. I'm looking at some new ones but I'm not set on any yet. Help me decide which ones fit my needs. I'm not light @245-270 depending. So...

RF Atlas - in 2010 I put them on my Remedy cause they were AM, FR, and light DH. Now they say they're DH, FR and doable for AM, but heavy. Did they change them that much to take the place of the Diablos, or are they the same cranks they were back in 10?

RF Sixc - I read up on these but didn't like the booties that you need to run on them. 2 buddies lost theirs on the trail. Looking at the ends of my cranks, I can't imagine these lasting me several years. Plus, I'm fat, they're carbon... Water and oil to me!

Saints- I hear nothing but good things about them. But they're lacking the side to side adjustment that all RF cranks have to line up the chain ring and stop it from rubbing against the chain guide. That to me is a big deal.

E13 LG-1rg3/spd...- Look strong. Good reviews on my previous thread. But WTF is up with that oval on the spindle? That just looks like it will round over after some big hits and loosen up. I'll let them be the engineers, but they're marketing team had no say in that design for sure! It just looks unreliable!

ATLAS- possible if this is the replacement of the Diablos and built to take a beating. Not if it's the same crank I bought in 10.
Sixc- nope! Not interested.
Saint- lack of side to side adjustment kinda has me holding back.
E13- that spindle looks so wrong and weak!

What do you think? Weight of the cranks isn't an issue. Thanks, EC

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I am an ME, and the eThirteen spindle setup is fine.

That said, Saint.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Im on the RF next sl's and even though they are on a 6" bike my riding would resemble DH more than trail riding..I'm about 195lbs and regularly smash the crank/boots on rocks and they are holding up good...occasionally the boot will get pulled off the end when I really bash them but they can't fall off because the pedal spindle goes through them...that's only happened a few times and it was usually when I almost ate it and was trying to recover with my feet off the pedals going through some gnarly rocks...I wouldnt worry about breaking carbon cranks..especially the sicx..

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
ATLAS- possible if this is the replacement of the Diablos and built to take a beating. Not if it's the same crank I bought in 10.
Atlas cranks from around 2010 onward are different than the first generation cranks in that they beefed up the chainring tabs. If you look at the Atlas 165mm 83mm arms + bb listings from 2008 and 2011 on the following link, you'll see that 2011 weighs a little more, which is probably from strengthening the tabs:

http://www.sicklines.com/weights/cranksets/?sort=manuf

I have first hand experience with this because I broke 2 chainring tabs on a 2009ish Atlas, and when I got a warranty replacement around 2011, the tabs were definitely thicker.

So, if you have first generation Atlas cranks, then yes, the newer ones are definitely stronger, at least in the chainring area. They could have made other improvements since then, but I'm not in the loop. For what it's worth, been bashing pretty hard on my Atlas since 2011 on my DH bike with no issues.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Gravity light 7050. They are dirt cheap on eBay right now.. I just scored two pairs, under 65 bucks each, including shipping..

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Gravity light 7050. They are dirt cheap on eBay right now.. I just scored two pairs, under 65 bucks each, including shipping..
+1
Having FSA cranks on all my bikes. Bottom Brackets are plenty tough, no issues with the 7050-series Gravity Light. Even a set of Carbon Pro Team Issue from 2005 in use - these bitches have done everything.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
All wrong, go with the Raceface Turbine Cinch. Light, strong, adaptable to new standards, and easy to set-up. Not to mention they are aluminum, so their bill is nice too. I have them and love them.

Brett

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Ok, I got the Saint cranks. Next question, will Raceface rings work ok on the Saint cranks? Both obviously being 104bcd...