Quantcast

Help me pick my next fork

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
Right now i have an '03 shiver on my Bighit comp with the 8" big link on the back. I am thinking about swapping out the shiver. right now the candidates are...

1. Super T.
2. Sherman Slider
3. 888
4. Keep the Shiver.

What are your thoughts and why?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
How bout a White Bros DH 2.0 or 1.8

theyre lighter than a shiver same weight as an 888, stiffer by far compared to a shiver, awsome damping, huge range of adjustments, easy no-cost spring rate tuning, and they feel so nice, much better than the 888s ive felt. They look cool too and we know thats all that counts :cool:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Keep the Shiver.
It's a great fork, many people's favorite and you've already got one.
Do you have a problem with your Shiver? It could probably be solved through a tuning adjustment.
I know a couple people with the same setup and they like it.

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
TWISTED said:
Keep the Shiver.
It's a great fork, many people's favorite and you've already got one.
Do you have a problem with your Shiver? It could probably be solved through a tuning adjustment.
I know a couple people with the same setup and they like it.

I'm just thinking about putting it on my RM Flow HT.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I was excited about the Slider +. All the specs sound good, should be a great fork. I was thinking about getting one until I talked to people who actually had them. Everyone hates them, the only people who like them are people who haven't ridden other high end forks. The SPV does not react well to small bumps, harsh, skips. Supposed to pedal well though. Reverse arch hits on many frames when bottoming out (ouch!).
You have a Shiver if you don't like it I'll trade you one of my Marzocchi's for it ('03 monster, '04 6"triple, '04z1fr, '98z1 4", '97 z2 3").
If you are rich get a 170 888r.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Keep the Shiver. Its a perfect match for that bike and style.

Get a trailbike if you want something trailride friendly ;) The pound just doesn't matter that much when you are talking about a machine like that and trail riding, certainly not enough to justify the cost.

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
Zark said:
Keep the Shiver. Its a perfect match for that bike and style.

Get a trailbike if you want something trailride friendly ;) The pound just doesn't matter that much when you are talking about a machine like that and trail riding, certainly not enough to justify the cost.
niether is buying a new bike for trail rides.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You want to put a Shiver on your hardtail so you can make your BigHit more trail-worthy...I don't think that makes the most sense.

Anyhow, the Shiver is a great fork, and unless it's broken and irreparable, I'd stick with it. I think it's superior to the Super and the 888 will be a minor upgrade; it's not like the pound or whatever difference will suddenly make your 8" Big Hit a lively trailbike. That bike is decent on trails for a DH bike; I used to own one so I know...but a fork swap like this isn't going to do a hell of a lot.

Maybe just get yourself another fork for the HT if its current fork is unsatisfactory somehow...there are great deals on 6" Sliders around, with proven TPC damping, if you're dying for a dual-crown on the HT for some odd reason. The 6" slider has a really low axle-crown, too. But I'd stay with a 5" max singlecrown on the hardtail myself.

And about getting a new bike...you could indeed get a decent trailbike, or most of a decent trailbike, for what an 888 costs retail. Or you could just ride your hardtail, which makes the most sense to me.

Sounds like you just have buying lust. If you do, it's normal and natural...but you have to face up to it instead of justifying it with semi-logic. Got the cash and want an 888 or a Slider? Go for it.

MD

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
yo bob.. good to see ya around here... this is paul / black tomac / aussie bastid... we re still in germany and lovin it... ridin heaps and lovin my bike (especially since i dropped the avalanche shock in it), thinkin of a new fork as well... i m sold on a 7" 888... thinkin i ll wait for the 05 model tho'... gotta save a few more sheets

ok mate, gotta bail...

paul / partsbara

ps - stick with ya shiver or go 888

:)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm pretty sure the Slider has adjustable travel,and if it does, I would choose the Slider--I think adjustable travel is really nice for trail riding a big bike, plus the SPV makes it bob less, which is another big plus for trail riding.

B

bighitfsr

"Everyone hates them, the only people who like them are people who haven't ridden other high end forks"

I've read a couple of posts from guys who switched dout their dorados for sliders and are happy. I've also read the exact opposite.

"I'm pretty sure the Slider has adjustable"

Only SC shermans have adjustable travel.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
My experience with the '04 superT says that it will not make your bighit more trail friendly. It is still pretty heavy and is mush out of the box. You would want to beef up the spring for it to pedal well standing. It is a good freeride light DH fork.

SPV up front on a 4-bar plush BH. I would want SPV rear also.

Or the Shiver? Yep the Shiver gets the best reviews.

IMO sell the hard tail and build a trail bike.