Quantcast

Help!!!! Hayes Brake laver sticking!!!

DaBomBisHot

Chimp
May 17, 2012
Greensboro, NC
I just bought a bike with Hayes Hfx and the first day they were super touchy. Rode some trails that afternoon that were wet then parked it. The next day when I started riding the lever started sqeaking and sticking every so often. Now today the pivot "I think" got stuck but the tire will still roll. What is wrong? Is there any way to fix this without taking it to the shop? Thanks

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Spray some jigaloo with a rag covering the brake lever. Sometimes it helps to free the stuck pivots. A full rebuild wouldn't be bad. Don't let people here convince you they are ****ty brakes, they actually work fine, and are just less sophisticated than today's offering.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Spray some jigaloo with a rag covering the brake lever. Sometimes it helps to free the stuck pivots. A full rebuild wouldn't be bad. Don't let people here convince you they are ****ty brakes, they actually work fine, and are just less sophisticated than today's offering.
I wouldn't use jigaloo. That stuff can be caustic and eats certain plastics! Try a bike lube of some sort maybe.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Drip some triflow on the bushing, pivot, and pushrod. I'm willing to bet the pivot is too tight.

And yes, they aren't bad brakes. I'm running mags this season and so far they've been adequate though not super confidence inspiring at ultra steep places. They were fine at highland though, and this is all on super cheap pads, not OEM or high end ones.