Quantcast

Heart Rate Monitors

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is anybody using one? My old Polar CS finally died and I am in need of replacement. I can get some thing like this for relatively cheap which does everything my Polar did plus some, but no GPS.

I am on the fence about getting something with GPS, mostly so I can trace my mileage while running instead of when I get home and map it out. I also lose on demand pace for running, which in races is important to keep pace. Only problen is that GPS is going to push me into the $400 range for Garmin or Polar. That's pricey and I need to justify that to Wifey, especially given the cost of the work we are currently doing around the house.

I am looking for something that can do HR and laps, be capable of useage while swimming and if possible have GPS. Using my phone is not an option for this as they are not allowed to be carried in race, nor can you swim with it.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I can see the Garmin and Polar options, but they are still quite expensive.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I just picked up a bluetooth compatible UnderArmour hrm for $29 on sale from them in conjunction with the Map my Run folks. Havent used it yet, but will this week...stand by for updates.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
need gps but it's to expensive....

if you have to justify it to your wife be prepared for the disappointment that follows.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I bought my first (non gps) heart rate monitor last week.
Ive been running for a while now but started being serious about it this year, and ive lost 10kg by eating and living healthier (lots of surfing and running) the last two years.
Ran my first half marathon two months ago which went relatively easy so i think im in pretty ok shape...

So im trying to lose a bit more weight and ive read that i need to keep my heart rate between 140 and 160 while im running so thats what ive been doing.
But after my last workout the Polar says avarage heart rate 147bpm, and highest 157bpm.
Yet it still says 2mins fatburn and 56mins fitness...

What am i doing wrong?

And sorry about the hijack btw, i didnt want to open a whole new thread about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ive been running for a while now but started being serious about it this year, and ive lost 10kg by eating and living healthier (lots of surfing and running) the last two years.
Ran my first half marathon two months ago which went relatively easy so i think im in pretty ok shape...

So im trying to lose a bit more weight and ive read that i need to keep my heart rate between 140 and 160 while im running so thats what ive been doing.
But after my last workout the Polar says avarage heart rate 147bpm, and highest 157bpm.

What am i doing wrong?

And sorry about the hijack btw, i didnt want to open a whole new thread about it.
aside from taking advice from an electronic device that was made in china? :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

What am i doing wrong?

We don't all the the same heart rate levels. You have to find out what your is. I have a very high max heart rate for may as an example.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
When my heart rate gets high. My right eye gets blurry. I know when to back it off then. So you can say my heart rate monitor is built in.....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We don't all the the same heart rate levels. You have to find out what your is. I have a very high max heart rate for may as an example.
True. I have a shockingly low heart rate when I am at full sprint ~170bpm. I'm 34, so I should be able to peak out around 185-190. On the flip side, when I am fit my resting heart rate is in the 40's. I'm down to the mid-60's now vs. high 70's when I started training in May. Still a ways to go, but getting there.

I ended up getting a refurb Garmin 310XT for $145. Its tri specific and my dad has been using one for a few years with no issues.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That sounds cool I think its a good choice.

I'm 42 and I easily get my heart rate into the 190s. I hope its a good thing.

The heart rate monitor has also been good a couple of times to tell me something is wrong. Especially on one long ride where I was starting to get the fly but did not know yet and my heart rate started getting much higher than normal.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

What am i doing wrong?
I think the running part.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
True. I have a shockingly low heart rate when I am at full sprint ~170bpm. I'm 34, so I should be able to peak out around 185-190. On the flip side, when I am fit my resting heart rate is in the 40's. I'm down to the mid-60's now vs. high 70's when I started training in May. Still a ways to go, but getting there.

I ended up getting a refurb Garmin 310XT for $145. Its tri specific and my dad has been using one for a few years with no issues.
My max pulse ended up on 201 yesterday. I hope there is nothing wrong with me.