Quantcast

Hayes small-part phallacy part 2

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So I accidentally ripped my rear brake hose out of the rear caliper with my foot.

No big deal, all I need is a new compression nut right?

Well, I went to 3 shops in flagstaff and came up empty. Same thing for the 3 shops in my city here....

I guess it's like only if you live in LA or something....

"Oh yeah, most bike shops carry hayes small-parts"....

my a$$

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jm_ said:
So I accidentally ripped my rear brake hose out of the rear caliper with my foot.

No big deal, all I need is a new compression nut right?

Well, I went to 3 shops in flagstaff and came up empty. Same thing for the 3 shops in my city here....

I guess it's like only if you live in LA or something....

"Oh yeah, most bike shops carry hayes small-parts"....

my a$$

True, LA only.

What's a hayes?

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Fallacy as in fallicious, not Phallacy as in Phallic, Freudian slip? :)

Id say that a stocking problem with your lbs, not hayes fault..... i personally havent run into the problem. Hayes being the brake used most for oem, naturally makes a shop more inclined to carry the parts.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SebringMGB said:
Fallacy as in fallicious, not Phallacy as in Phallic, Freudian slip? :)

Id say that a stocking problem with your lbs, not hayes fault..... i personally havent run into the problem. Hayes being the brake used most for oem, naturally makes a shop more inclined to carry the parts.
I didn't say that it was hayes fault, simply that the claim that bike shops stock hayes parts is untrue by and large, and at the least, there's quite a few of us (between 2 cities totalling 80,000 of population today) that can't find them going to 6 different shops...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Jm_ said:
I didn't say that it was hayes fault, simply that the claim that bike shops stock hayes parts is untrue by and large, and at the least, there's quite a few of us (between 2 cities totalling 80,000 of population today) that can't find them going to 6 different shops...
Really? Damn, every shop I know of over here stocks Hayes parts... honestly, if I went into any of the shops around me, I could get pretty much any spare part I needed (with the possible exception of stuff like a whole lever body/caliper). I know my lbs does bulk business in repairing/rebuilding Hayes, they've got a shïtload of hayes spares in a big tub.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Time for goodridge? oh wait, you are in the States so goodridge availability is questionable. But i am with you mate, it really sucks when supposedly available parts are scarse to find. good luck.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hm.. Sorry there's no small parts around you but your locale being short on Hayes stuff doesn't make the fact that most people can get Hayes small parts on short notice any less true...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well Jim, looks like you should have kept the Hopes;)

yeah. i know i should have. I definitely can't afford em now...well actually I could, but I'm getting a curnutt shock instead..:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
binary visions said:
Hm.. Sorry there's no small parts around you but your locale being short on Hayes stuff doesn't make the fact that most people can get Hayes small parts on short notice any less true...
flagstaff has a HUGE riding scene, if there was anywhere in northern AZ that would have em, that would be it, and they didn't have sheiße...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The shops there need to get it together. I could pick that up from 5 different shops in my area. I have that part on my desk actually. If you swing by SB I'll give it to you ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Zark said:
The shops there need to get it together. I could pick that up from 5 different shops in my area. I have that part on my desk actually. If you swing by SB I'll give it to you ;)
I should have one SOMEWHERE...the problem is locating SOMEWHERE, I came up empty the first time I searched. So I gotta search more, and if that fails I'll just order like 3.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Jm_ said:
flagstaff has a HUGE riding scene, QUOTE]

Whom half of which just upgraded to V-brakes. :p

Every shop owner in the area is still running canti's on his single speed, and every other guy I know in flag still thinks disk brakes are a fad.

Didn't someone in Sedona have one?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ssaddict said:
Jm_ said:
flagstaff has a HUGE riding scene, QUOTE]

Whom half of which just upgraded to V-brakes. :p

Every shop owner in the area is still running canti's on his single speed, and every other guy I know in flag still thinks disk brakes are a fad.

Didn't someone in Sedona have one?
Um...you must not get up there much. There's hundreds of riders on elden every weekend, and a pretty big percentage of them are using disc brakes (all the guys on the big-travel DH bikes obviously). Flagstaff is not some archaic town where guys are riding schwinn cruisers everywhere. Yes, there are a lot of hippies and wierd people there just like any other town, but there are hundreds of serious rides up there using disc brakes. Sorry, I won't have any sympathy for a shop that isn't going to stock a 30-cent peice that is the most common part needed for the most common disc brake system. I'll avoid those shops in Flag from now on. They just forfieted the 50-70 bucks I would have spent when I break my derailer up there, not to mention the $20-30 of proffit that would have been made eventually from that 30-cent peice.

It's a big scene, and there are hundreds of riders up there every weekend on nice bikes (with disc brakes). Much bigger scene than we have here in Prescott, even with our 4-shops.

I've never been here during the summer before, but do you get up there to ride during the summer at all? There's some sick stuff up there and this weekend I rode my foes trail bike (as opposed to last weekend when we had the DH bikes) and I did some stuff that I definitely wanted my DH bike for. There's big drops, killer rock gardens, etc. It actually reminded me of Northstar.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
My only point being the shop owners and most of the employees have still not accepted disks as the norm. I know there are many FR and DH bikes on Eldon and other places, but I also know how half of the previously mentioned people (most of the ones who stock and order parts) feel about these weekend riders. Honestly, they hate anyone who comes to shuttle or anything like that around Flag on the trails they feel like they own, and some of them would like to cause any inconviences to these outsiders they can.

Not all, but I know more than a few long time flag residents that feel this way.

Knowing who owns shops in Sedona and what brands they carry you'd have much better luck finding Hayes parts there.

I train all over the place, especially during the summer, but currently I am on injured reserve and don't know quite when the Dr.'s want me riding. I'm was suppose to be playing the the mud this weekend in Snowshoe but had to cancel my plans. :mad: :mumble: :(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ssaddict said:
Honestly, they hate anyone who comes to shuttle or anything like that around Flag on the trails they feel like they own, and some of them would like to cause any inconviences to these outsiders they can.
Those are pretty strong words. Not directing this at you, but with such strong feelings I'm suprised more fights are not breaking out around the mountain and in town.

I ran into a nice guy from Tempe this weekend, he gave me a ride up the mountain (I wasn't looking for one, but heck that just gave me that much mroe time to explore the mountain). He rides a rootbeer or anno-red V10 with 888. Asian guy. He pedals like mad, says he rides UP the mountain on his V10 a few times each day he is up there.

There's one shop in sedona, bike n bean, which I am never going to buy anything at. When I broke a derailer there (I always seemed to total them there around the same time of year) all I got was a big speech on how I should switch from SRAM to shimano, and how great the new XTR was going to be. Not withstanding that the new XTR wasn't available to anyone and the only reason they even knew of it's extistance was because of the spy photos in MBA. Any time you ask for some "technical" riding, they always say that "chiken point and submarine rock" are the best trails around. They just funnell everybody that asks onto those same trails, and IMO they aren't even that great of trails, definitely not what I wanted when I asked them for the most technical trails around. Bike n Bean is VERY low on my list of places, I'll definitely support my shops in town before I buy something there.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
There still seem to be plenty of shops that don't even know how to bleed brakes, but otoh, There are 3 shops within 30 miles of here, that had new transfer o-rings and pistons when I needed some last week. Personally I like to stock up on a full suite of Hayes parts at the beginning of every season, never know when i might kill something in the middle of nowhere, and you can always sell spare parts in race parking lots...

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Jm_ said:
Those are pretty strong words. Not directing this at you, but with such strong feelings I'm suprised more fights are not breaking out around the mountain and in town.

I ran into a nice guy from Tempe this weekend, he gave me a ride up the mountain (I wasn't looking for one, but heck that just gave me that much mroe time to explore the mountain). He rides a rootbeer or anno-red V10 with 888. Asian guy. He pedals like mad, says he rides UP the mountain on his V10 a few times each day he is up there.
That's the same nice guy who told me to F' off when I asked them to stop freeriding on South Mtn. a little while back... remember?

Now see why locals don't like people like him?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ssaddict said:
That's the same nice guy who told me to F' off when I asked them to stop freeriding on South Mtn. a little while back... remember?

Now see why locals don't like people like him?
The asian guy on the V10? or the guys that live in flagstaff? I know there was one guy that was in flagstaff that was a "bad apple", and im sure some of the guys we've seen at south mountain are from phoenix, more "bad apples"...

Apr 3, 2004
Knoxvegas, TN
You've been whining on the MTBR boards about this for a while and over there the story is you cut the lines yourself. So which is it? Did you snag them with your foot or cut them?

BTW, who made the claim that most shops carry Hayes small brake parts?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Go Kart Motzart said:
You've been whining on the MTBR boards about this for a while and over there the story is you cut the lines yourself. So which is it? Did you snag them with your foot or cut them?

BTW, who made the claim that most shops carry Hayes small brake parts?
All I know is around Seattle...

Hayes is the most stocked part line around. Magura is kinda stocked....mostly the XC pads and general hose line and some misc parts but you have to know where to look. Hopes...:think: um maybe a place or two might have a set...but not usually something I see (It maybe because I am not looking for it though)

Generally, of all the hydrolic brake manufacturers....in Seattle....Hayes is the best stocked brake set around. (disclaimer: actually product availability maye differ in your area) :)

It sucks to break a part and not be able to find parts, that was a bigfactor in me going to Hayes.......

BECAUSE in MY AREA that is the stocked brake of choice. My Magurra Gustav were impossible to find brake pads for though hose line was something that could be found. Resierviour caps and misc Gustav specific parts (pads, daiphrams) were tough to find. Mineral oil and hoses that carry over from the rim brakes were plentyfull.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Jm_ said:
The asian guy on the V10? or the guys that live in flagstaff? I know there was one guy that was in flagstaff that was a "bad apple", and im sure some of the guys we've seen at south mountain are from phoenix, more "bad apples"...

I beleive his full name is Chansamone Keovilayhong but he usually goes by Mone (moan).

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
so I decided to test JM's theory and went to my LBS and sure enough they had about every Hayes part you could think of....they actually had 2 different tool boxes one labeld Hayes and the other Hope...tons o parts..I bought a few extra compression rings so if you still need some...shoot me a PM....D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BMXman said:
so I decided to test JM's theory and went to my LBS and sure enough they had about every Hayes part you could think of....they actually had 2 different tool boxes one labeld Hayes and the other Hope...tons o parts..I bought a few extra compression rings so if you still need some...shoot me a PM....D

your shop had HOPE parts!! shirley you can't be serious! I think hell just froze over :D

I got my compression-ring deal figured out.