Quantcast

hardtail or fs?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I finally have some money to build a jump/4x bike, but should I get fs or hardtail? My dilemma is that a hardtail is cheaper, but I feel way more comfortable on full suspension. However, since I'm more or less a beginner dirt jumper, should I learn on a more unforgiving hardtail and wait until my abilities improve to decide on full suspension, or should I start with full suspension, and hopefully progress faster with the inherent confidence of rear suspension?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
A hardtail would be good, IMO you can learn things on it that'll complement your dually riding habits. Can't go past the versatility of a small jump-orientated hardtail, you can use them for jump, street, 4x,even commuting and trail riding if you're silly enough.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
For dirtjumping, a hardtail is easier - you don't have to think about preloading suspension, not to mention blowing shocks when you case.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A HT makes a better jumping bike- it's more manuverable and suspension just sorta gets in your way. IMO, you learn a lot of skills on a HT and they make you a more active rider, 'cause you can't rely on your black suspension.

B

bigkonarider

Man get a hardtail fur sure !
I had a killer Azonic DS-1 & ripped pretty good w/ it..
Then a Le Toy3 & got rid of em cause my ankles get spiked easy..
Other than that reason & also fast DH runs are more controllable on a FS..
But a hardtail is quicker no doubt..
Plus as the guy said ..BLOWN shocks sucks a.s.s !
Maybe i'll sell of my 50# Bullet/Monster-T & wrap my ankles for a hardtail??
:stupid: :evil:

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Stick with the hardtail for your application. There is a reason most of the pros use them for dirtjump. A full suspension is constantly changing its center of gravity and if you leave a lip with out total control the chances of you busting a trick much less landing it are slim. Plus a hardtail is simple to maintain and usually have alot cooler waranty. It is almost like companies dare you to brake them! Scope this out, this guy builds some totaly dope steel frames with a lifetime warranty regardless of how you broke it!!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Not many duallie frames will stand up to dirtjumping. Repeatedly casing (over time, not necessarily all at once) takes its toll on the frame and the shock. Go for a hardtail IMO.