Quantcast

Hardtail freeride

djbiker

Monkey
Sep 25, 2009
so heres the deal, i do dirt jumping and im looking to get into freeride, i dont have 2 grand to spend on a bike since im 15, i have a norco havoc, im just going to get a new frame and fork, willing to spend 500 on each or a little over. I live in toronto ontario and their really aint no big jumps over 12 feet that i have access to. Guys got suggestions? im looking at the banshee amp (frame) and the rock shox pike (fork). Looking for advise, thanks.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Make sure to look in classified on RM and check Craigslist in your area for the best deals!

Pike is a good fork, stiff, reliable (in my experience, owned two), and affordable. But it's not a DJ specific fork so it's not valved for big hits.

If you are picky it might be lacking high speed dampening. If your not picky it should be fine. Run it locked out with the floodgate all the way closed for jumping.

No exp with that frame sorry.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The Pike is a decent choice. I run a 409 & like it, even if it can be a bit excessive when it comes to brake dive. As for frames, I run a Sinister Ridge that is just SICK. I would not hesitate to suggest one to anybody. Eats up the Shore rather well. I had always considered the Banshee amp to be a DJ frame. How about a Transition Vagrant?

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
banshee morphine. i have one w/ a pike and it works great its actually for sale. the pike i find needs to be set up stiff to work well but otherwise its a great frame fork combo.
pm me for spec list if youre interested

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
i'm about to throw a Transition Vagrant frame up for sale.. it was a super fun bike, sad to sell it. i'm replacing it with a fully though

great condition, pm if interested

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
i'm about to throw a Transition Vagrant frame up for sale.. it was a super fun bike, sad to sell it. i'm replacing it with a fully though

great condition, pm if interested

Don't sell it, you are going to regret it. Our fullies rarely see the daylight since we build the hardtails.

For a fr-hardtail, I would suggest 160+ mm fork. (domain, 66, drop-off, etc...)

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i like the amp, although it is more of a dirtjump type hardtail with a low bottom bracket height, never the less a great frame. the pike is also a good option, look into the argyle if you want a little more brutality factor.

an argyle or pike with a amp would make a nice all-round ride

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
I've got a surly instigator set up with an older z130 fork.The surly is a jack of many trades(not all though)For trail jamming and flowy freeride, it is great.It also serves me well for urban and dirt jump. From time to time, I put on a 36 talas, and that combo works great as well. Gets a little squirrely when trying to downhill real fast, but otherwise a great little frame.

NOMAD999

Chimp
May 19, 2009
Don't sell it, you are going to regret it. Our fullies rarely see the daylight since we build the hardtails.

For a fr-hardtail, I would suggest 160+ mm fork. (domain, 66, drop-off, etc...)
Do you still have the vagrant? if so what size and condition is it in? pix? and last how much are you asking? thanks

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
More about the Sinister Ridge: Just swapped my Lyrik over to it (160mm) and the bike absolutely came alive. I just got back from a rip down Fromme (Lower Ladies, back up to Ladies Only to Skull - not exactly the most mellow trails, even by Shore standards) and the bike handled everything easily. I am amazed how close it feels to my Splinter. I thought I'd be kicked all over the place, but nope. The bike tracks like it is suspended but accelerates like a bat out of hell.

I thought I would keep this build on it while the Splinter gets serviced, but I think I might just keep it on there anyway.

545cu4ch

Chimp
Mar 15, 2006
I rode an Ironhorse (snif) Yakuza chimpira frame with a 66 for a couple of years. Super sturdy frame, maybe you could find a good deal on a used one.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I would suggest you consider a Rock Shox Domain instead of the pike, if you get the U-Turn model it should be good for what you want to do.
Yeah it's a bit heavier but steel stanchions means it's also more durable (from my experience...I've owned both a Pike 454 Air U-Turn and a Domain 318 180mm). Whichever way you go I'd stick with coil sprung too, just much nicer!

I'm guessing you've already considered the Norco Shore HT's (like Rampage)? I almost brought one a few years back but went for an STP instead, so don't particularly have any recommendations for ya there.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I would recommend a steel frame. I used to have an aluminum hardtail and I dont think I would ever go back. Steel just soaks up hits so much better and the ride is so much more smooth. With all the options out there nowadays, and most 5lbs or less, steel is the way to go IMO.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ive been considering a hardtail freeride as well...but it seems like most ppl are just building DJ's for it?

The norco caught my eye but never heard much about them, and I have never heard even close to bad word about the Sinister Ridge.

Would a Specialized P.1 AM be a good idea?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Ive been considering a hardtail freeride as well...but it seems like most ppl are just building DJ's for it?

The norco caught my eye but never heard much about them, and I have never heard even close to bad word about the Sinister Ridge.

Would a Specialized P.1 AM be a good idea?
Go with The Ridge or the Transition Bank or find yourself an Identiti Dr. Jekyll

I had 2 Identiti's and I have a Bank I am building up as an ss freeride ht

forget the p.1 and a norco

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok so I got a few ideas, def looking for a jack-of-all trades bike AM/FR/DJ

So far I got in mind...
-Transition Vagrant
-Sinister Ridge
-Santa Cruz Chameleon

I also found a guy who would make a replica of a DunCon Cock (its very similar to an Evil Imperial or a Sluggo) Since I cant get them here in the US.

How well do the DJ frames handle all around duty? for a while Ive looked at the STP and Fetish Obsession...

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I am only going to mention this one last time. No offensive but you are looking all over the place. The Sinister is the most expensive option but a good one and The Transition Vagrant was discontinued. The Sinister DNA is also good. A buddy of mine rode one for years up at Diablo for DH.
The Transition Bank and the Identiti Dr. Jekyll are better choices for what you are looking for. Both can be used geared or as a ss with no converter. Both can handle a long travel fork.
The Nicolai 2mxtb is another great choice.
The Imperial was discontinued a while ago. The geometry and weight of the bike were horrible.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
No offense taken, I know Im all over the place its just that Im having a lot of trouble finding info on a FR/AM hardtail.

Ive never seen the Nicolai before just googled them and Im really diggin it!...now where can I get one in the US?

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
STP's aren't designed for anything more than 140mm travel and some are known to break at the welds around the head tube (I don't know under what circumstances...like too long a travel fork or just misuse etc).

I've got an STP and recently put a 150mm Domain fork on it purely because I wanted one bike that was versatile, and the STP is what I had plus the fork from my DH rig (which I lowered to suit). But this lady isn't game for anything hardcore, just some occasional and slow DH riding which is why the bike would suit me fine. In your case I'd take others advice and go for a stronger frame.

william4269

Chimp
Aug 16, 2009
canada
i was doing the same thing as you were about 4 months ago. i have a bigfoot and i used it for free ride, dj, am and some dh. the stock dj3 was lacking some adjustments and travel(120mm). so after some searching, found a pike 454, lyrik solo air and a 66 rc3. the only on ei wouldnt have to lower was the pike but the 66 and lyrik were closer to me and cheaper. after talking with my lbs a few times i decided to buy the lyrik. so $350 later i have this click with some new wheels and tires and other small upgrades, i end up with this click

Last edited: