Quantcast

Hacksaw or pipe cutter for steerer tube

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Need to cut a pair of steerer tubes. Was at the depot looking for a pipe cutter last night but they only had two little ones, up to 1 1/8", and one big one at $35. Not wanting to spend that much on a tool I won't use regularly, I balked. Now I'm reading that a hacksaw may be better since it doesn't flare the end of the tube. Is that so? I could certainly use a nice hacksaw around the house...pipe cutter...not so much. I suppose with a good guide it should be easy to cut straight.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've used both in the past with equal success. With my newest carbon steerer forks I had to go hacksaw, so I went and bought the Park guide and new blades, etc. As for the flaring from a pipe cutter.....it's true, but nothing a fine file can't take care of in seconds.

If you want to go the hacksaw route and want to borrow my guide, let me know.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll probably just go for the saw. I need a new hacksaw anyways. If I can wait until we meet up, i'd love to borrow the guide, but I hear a pair of hose clamps or an old stem can also help act as a guide. I've cut some before that were wicked crooked and it caused no issues....but may as well do it right.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The bulge can easily be taken off with a file. You will have to file either way you do it. I prefer the pipe cutter as it seems to be near perfect every time.

-Brett

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does anybody know if a pipe cutter that goes up to 1 1/8" will clear a steerer tube? I'd love to buy one of the $15 ones...

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought a pipe cutter that is big enough for a 1.5" steerer tube. I think I got it at Home Depot, it is blue. I don't remember how much it cost.

I have used a pipe cutter many times for steerer tubes, handlebars, and seatposts. I don't mind filing off the bulge, but it would be nice to not have to do that.

Edit: This is the pipe cutter I have

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
You aren't cutting a sh!t pipe, using a pipe cutter seems more ghetto than a nice sharp high tension hacksaw to me. I'd rather not have any of the steerer squished or flared by a pipe cutter, but that's me.

After using hacksaw, use a file to flatten/ straighten it out if needed. As long as you go slow, and don't push hard, and have a sharp blade, the blade won't dive on you. Also make sure the fork is clamped in place so it's rock solid. A guide would be nice, but isn't 100% necessary.

Either way, this is a perfect excuse to expand your tool collection!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, I'm going hacksaw.

Looks like the dang depot sells ****ty pipe cutters. They had one at like $37, then the one Justin posted is $35 locally and it has horrible reviews. Honestly, you can wobble the cutting wheel with your finger. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, but it makes sense that that might cut off center. Nothing else they sell cuts over 1 1/8" tubes, so unless I bring my fork in to test it, I can't know if it'll fit.

Besides, the saw will get more use and cost less. Are any still made in the USA?

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
It seems you already have a plan of action but I'd like to throw my suggestion out there as it has worked flawlessly for me. What I do is grease the underbelly of a frozen fish (Chinook salmon work best IMHO as they are vertically stiff and laterally squishy) and bash it against the precise (prescision counts a ton here!) location to be cut. Should have a clean slice within the first three to 50 whacks if you're doing it right.

If all else fails, call Mr Duggan; I hear he's a whiz with a 2x4.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Buy a cheap angle grinder, more useful than a pipe cutter and a hacksaw later on, I want carnage pics or pics of the steerer cut too short!

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
i cut mine with my band saw and then used my Bridgeport to mill the end square, then set the mill up to deburr the steer tube with my chamfer tool, but thats just me being anal.....