bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Last edited:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
This is mostly aimed at Dirt but it’s also some general ramblings mixed in………

Gun owner here, I’ve got a Sig P226 with 3, 15 round mags. I don’t have my concealed carry license, it’s for home protection only. I shoot at least 200 rounds monthly to stay proficient, and do dry fire drills weekly.

If the military and law enforcement mandate weeks of training before their members are issued and allowed to carry a firearm as part of their job, why is the same not true for civilians? Why in the world would we trust some dumbass untrained civilian with a weapon very similar to what is issued to our military? I’ve lost count the FB pictures I’ve seen where dumbass gun owners have their pic taken with a FINGER ON THE F’ING TRIGGER!!! WTF!!!! These people have zero trigger discipline, why in GOD’s NAME would we trust people like that with AR/AK/SKS’s and the like????

The idea that it’s easier to purchase an AR/AK/SKS at a gun show than it is to purchase a car is ludicrous. The 2nd Amendment doesn’t mandate it should be easy to acquire a firearm. As much as I’d love a nice full quad railed 14.5” middy Bravo Company AR or a HK MR223 and go out and play DEVGRU in an abandoned field somewhere in north central Arkansas, it’s not going to happen, and it shouldn’t happen and that is NOT an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights. I have the right to protect myself and my family, which I can do quite effectively with my 226, if I need more “oomph” I’ll spring for a Remington 870. That’s more than enough to protect my family in the event something “Katrina like” happens here in central Arkansas.

AR/AK/SKS’s and the like should either be ridiculously difficult to own/purchase or banned altogether. If you’re a law abiding citizen then you have nothing to hide, if you want one of these go through a LONG detailed background check (including checking for any mental illness issues) and mandatory training. Don’t give me the “it’s my right to protect myself/family/home” because if you NEED one of those you a) have ZERO clue about CQB b)are a horrible marksman with a pistol c) you’re compensating for something. If it’s the middle of the night and my front door is bashed in by badguys I’d much rather have a suppressed Mk25 with a Surefire light than an AR any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Your argument FOR AR/AK/SKS’s and the like is invalid, period. No one (or very few, they are not optimum) hunts with those, they are designed to kill people and they are not optimum for home defense.....so there's no legitimate NEED for that sort of weapon. You’re “right” to own those doesn’t not trump my children’s right to live, or anyone’s right to live.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Maybe, maybe with a shotgun he could have cleared more than 1 room. I don't see a need for public access to assault type rifles or any large capacity rifle for that matter. Shotgun for home defense, hunting rifle for hunting, hand gun for fun if needed.

And at least if you go after someone with a knife, it's more personal than just aim/fire. A ban on kitchen knifes would go too far IMO.
I'd say most of the assholes pulling off these type of acts are far too much of pussies to ever do anything that would require any sort of physical 'combat', even if it's just little kids they're attacking. They're self-pitying pussies to the core, and if it wasn't made so easy for them, they'd stay home and stick to video games and cutting themselves.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
No, but I know the type.
Got a step-family member that reminds of the people pulling this kind of ****.
Would never step up to anybody where there's a chance of getting his ass kicked, but if it comes to those weaker than him, I don't trust him a bit. A couple years from now, he'll be able to buy whatever weapon he wants, and then the power is in his hands. We should all be thankful for people like Dirk, fighting to make it as easy as possible for unstable people to be able to do maximum damage just because they can't come to grips with their own paranoia. ****ing great. God forbid we make anybody jump through some extra hoops to prove they can handle the responsibility. Just like tractor trailer drivers are held to a different licensing standard, and you can't drive a monster truck or dragster down Main St, so should weapons be treated. Need some over the top killing machine to make you feel tough? Prove you're responsible enough to own one. Otherwise, you'll have to make due with something reasonable.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It seems to me, in light of the recent events, that if you still cling to the selfish notion that you have the right to own military grade assault weapons that you view that right as more important than the right to live.

There have been a number of posts lately discussing the issue of mental health in this country, which is a good thing. But what about the mental well being of those who rush to the gun store to purchase the exact model rifle that was used two days prior to murder 20 children ?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There have been a number of posts lately discussing the issue of mental health in this country, which is a good thing. But what about the mental well being of those who rush to the gun store to purchase the exact model rifle that was used two days prior to murder 20 children ?
either way...the drug industry wants to thank you....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Well, just when you thought the GOP couldn't get any more nutty:

As some lawmakers call for real gun control reform in the wake of the Newtown tragedy, others are proposing a different strategy to curb school violence: arm the teachers. Republicans in at least six states plan to introduce legislation that would allow or require school staff to carry guns — an idea the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence called "insane."

Meanwhile, a Texas gun store owner is cutting teachers a deal: a 10 percent discount on his concealed carry handgun classes.

Here are 11 people who think that more guns in Sandy Hook Elementary could have saved lives last week:
Apparently they have not considered the affects of having children grow up in an environment that is ruled by fear. Unfvcking real...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

SLOPE

Monkey
Aug 24, 2001
Arnold, Maryland
Anarchy...law abiding citizens carrying guns around.

Check the statistics of crime in concealed carry states versus those that don't.

Gun control only works for dictators.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anarchy...law abiding citizens carrying guns around.

Check the statistics of crime in concealed carry states versus those that don't.
Thanks for asking, gun control is working:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/01/the-geography-of-gun-deaths/69354/

While the causes of individual acts of mass violence always differ, our analysis shows fatal gun violence is less likely to occur in richer states with more post-industrial knowledge economies, higher levels of college graduates, and tighter gun laws. Factors like drug use, stress levels, and mental illness are much less significant than might be assumed.
Gun control only works for dictators.
Gun control great works for the entire civilized industrialized world. Every single OECD country in the world other than the US, Mexico, and Estonia have magnitudes less violent crime.

Thanks for helping make modern America more like a third world sh*thole...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
EVERY SINGLE PERSON that advocates "arming the teachers" should NEVER own a gun. Those are just the type of nut cases that we need to have systems to weed out. Yeah, every teacher needs to carry, then every mall-worker, and every pedestrian on the sidewalk, and everyone at sports event should be issued one when they walk in. Totally F-in ridiculous.

Of course, if some genius nuclear scientist ever figures out that you can shoot the teacher first, then they'll have access to at least an entire classroom of "killings".

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
282433_460609643974720_1856197652_n.jpg

So who is going to pay for arming, equiping and training all these teachers? Not to mention the recurring training neccesary to maintain proficiency. And all that overtime at the range...

As a first responder, the last thing I want to do is respond to a gunfight between 2 parties...my first instinct is to sit back and let them shoot it out, then apprehend the winner.

Turning our schools into armed camps is the wrong answer. Why not start with a concerted effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and crazies?

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The idea that it’s easier to purchase an AR/AK/SKS at a gun show than it is to purchase a car is ludicrous. The 2nd Amendment doesn’t mandate it should be easy to acquire a firearm. As much as I’d love a nice full quad railed 14.5” middy Bravo Company AR or a HK MR223 and go out and play DEVGRU in an abandoned field somewhere in north central Arkansas, it’s not going to happen, and it shouldn’t happen and that is NOT an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights. I have the right to protect myself and my family, which I can do quite effectively with my 226, if I need more “oomph” I’ll spring for a Remington 870. That’s more than enough to protect my family in the event something “Katrina like” happens here in central Arkansas.
This. This is also how it works in Yurp. If you feel like you need to protect your family and you have to have a gun for it you will get it. It just won't come with a happy meal. I'm with you on this 100%. I like guns but let's be reasonable about them.

@Slope - never knew all those euro countries where I feel much safer than on any of my US trips are dictatorships.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was reading a thread on the CT killings on another forum, and a knuckle-dragger in there is insisting that he must own firearms because police occasionally make mistakes on "no-knock" warrants and enter the wrong house. Some comment was made about the killing of dogs, too.

He stated that if the police did that to his house, it might be the last mistake they made, and that he was fully aware he'd die in the process and was okay with that. This is why weapons should be legal and easy to obtain, and he believes we should have access to everything that you can afford: tanks, machine guns, whatever.

Let me re-iterate: he'd rather kill multiple police officers whose boss made a mistake and be shot in return, than surrender and work things out within the legal system.

Gosh, sir, you are a shining beacon for your cause.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Let me re-iterate: he'd rather kill multiple police officers whose boss made a mistake and be shot in return, than surrender and work things out within the legal system.
I think it's much more likely that he's just another typical gun-nut blowhard and he'll do exactly what the cops tell him to do. And maybe pee himself a little. Then he'll spend the rest of his days embellishing the story in front of the other constitutional scholars and wanna-be civil warriors down at the local sportsman's club.

Which makes me wonder - how come these guys haven't made good on all their 'civil war' bull****ting over the fact that they can't have full auto weapons? Where in the Constitution is that 'right' denied to them? Shouldn't they be jumping off of their bar stools and engaging the enemy somewhere?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think it's much more likely that he's just another typical gun-nut blowhard and he'll do exactly what the cops tell him to do. And maybe pee himself a little. Then he'll spend the rest of his days embellishing the story in front of the other constitutional scholars and wanna-be civil warriors down at the local sportsman's club.

Which makes me wonder - how come these guys haven't made good on all their 'civil war' bull****ting over the fact that they can't have full auto weapons? Where in the Constitution is that 'right' denied to them? Shouldn't they be jumping off of their bar stools and engaging the enemy somewhere?
Can the US government extradite the whole civil war gun nut movement to Quebec. The frenchies there also want their own country, no one wants them and they are also special beings. They would get together nicely and maybe they'd nominate Terry Crews to be their president (I like him so I hope he declines) and water the fields with a mix of wine and moonshine.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I do not possess the rep capacity..........

head of nail, meet hammer

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We Have the Technology To Make Safer Guns: Too bad gunmakers don’t care.

The history of the Pinto isn’t unusual. You can tell a similar story about many other American consumer goods. In general, products in the United States used to be very unsafe. Cars exploded, appliances caught fire, drugs killed children. In the early 1980s, there were about 300 deaths caused by carbon-monoxide poisoning from home devices—things like furnaces and water heaters—every year. Nowadays there are fewer than 200 such deaths, and the number keeps decreasing. What happened? As in the story of the Pinto, lawsuits, media coverage, and regulations forced change. Unsafe products caused tragedies that made headlines, companies were fined and embarrassed, and slowly but surely, our products improved.

There’s a singular exception to this general advancement: guns. Research shows that it’s possible to make safer firearms. There are a slew of sensible technologies that gunmakers could add to their products that might prevent hundreds or thousands of deaths per year. One area of active research is known as the “smart gun”—a trigger-identification system that prevents a gun from being fired by anyone other than its authorized user. (James Bond carries one in Skyfall.)

But we aren’t likely to see smart guns on the market anytime soon. Even though the idea is technologically sound—researchers at the New Jersey Institute of Technology have created a working prototype of a gun that determines whether or not to fire based on a user’s “grip pattern”—gun makers aren’t taking it up. They’ve been slow to add other safety technologies, too, including indicators that show whether a gun is loaded and “magazine safeties” that prevent weapons from being fired when their ammunition magazine is removed. (The magazine’s removal might lead some users to assume the gun isn’t loaded when there may in fact be a round in the chamber.)

Why aren’t gunmakers making safer guns? Because guns are exempt from most of the consumer safety laws that improved the rest of American life. The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which was established in 1972, is charged with looking over thousands of different kinds of products. If you search its database for “guns,” you’ll find lots of recalls of defective air pistols and lead-covered toy guns but nothing about real firearms. That’s because the CPSC is explicitly prohibited from regulating firearms. If you’re injured by a gun, you can’t even go to court. In 2005, Congress passed and President George W. Bush signed the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which immunizes gun makers against lawsuits resulting from “misuse” of the products. If they can’t be sued and can’t be regulated, gunmakers have no incentive to make smarter guns. It’s the Pinto story in reverse.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I do not possess the rep capacity..........

head of nail, meet hammer
Oh thank you very nice.
Some of my best friends fit this description perfectly, so I've had years of practice heckling them about it. They love to blah blah blah all the same BS back and forth between each other, but none of them are going to do jack **** when it comes down to it. They're nothing but ****ing hobbyists no matter what they pretend to be with their buddies on Saturdays, just like nearly ever other 'assault weapon' owner, and it takes a whole 'nother level of idiot to actually shed blood over a hobby.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
When guys who are too scared to ride bikes well started buying guns to compensate and started posting here?
I still ride bikes. Just not in the summer in AZ. I do fear death by dehydration. Though I hear the hallucinations are not to be missed in that process.

Originally Posted by Andyman_1970 View Post
The 2nd Amendment doesn’t mandate it should be easy to acquire a firearm. ... snip ... You’re “right” to own those doesn’t not trump my children’s right to live, or anyone’s right to live..
Actually in the Constitution they are treated as equals as they're both choices. You chose to reproduce. Others choose to own weapons. In the Constitution, and this has been upheld in the courts, if its an item of choice than all items are equal under the law.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
In the Constitution, and this has been upheld in the courts, if its an item of choice than all items are equal under the law.
There is nothing in the Constitution about making it easy to obtain firearms. Being able to go to a gun show and by an AR/AK/SKS with ZERO background check and training is irresponsible and that's putting it lightly. One can go to a gun show and walk out with an AR, multiple 30rd mags and be batsh!t crazy in less than a half an hour. Hell I can't even buy a car from a dealer that quick, even if I threw down cash.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So much idiocy, so little time...if the frothers really want guns, I have recruiter friends I can hook them all up with. I cna get you all the guns you want. Only we have to follow range safety rules, be trained and show proficiency in order to carry weapons.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So much idiocy, so little time...if the frothers really want guns, I have recruiter friends I can hook them all up with. I cna get you all the guns you want. Only we have to follow range safety rules, be trained and show proficiency in order to carry weapons.
Sounds like your rights are being infringed upon.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...much about the US military is un 'murikan...you should hear people freak when I explain how our medical care is essentially Socialized medicine...or ask them just whos freedom they think they are protecting. Its interesting being a Liberal in a world of Conservatives and those who dont have enough brains to take a position one way or another...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Actually in the Constitution they are treated as equals as they're both choices. You chose to reproduce. Others choose to own weapons. In the Constitution, and this has been upheld in the courts, if its an item of choice than all items are equal under the law.
Equal under the constitution, equal under the law but not equal under common sense.

Massive numbers of high powered weapons placed in the hands of an uneducated citizenry is fvcking stupid. Many, MANY people in the USA are FVCKING DUMB. Dumb people do not have the right to destroy the lives of others.