Quantcast

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was just about to post that. The NC gun show incident happened about 30 minutes after we drove past the show, cursing at all the dipsh*ts with room-temperature IQs who were wandering into the road, unable to drive their huge-ass trucks properly, or cutting people off by driving up the turning lane and then forcing themselves back into traffic.

I was absolutely shocked to hear that one of these people left a gun loaded in the case and then mishandled it when he took it out to show someone. SHOCKED, I tell you.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My issue is why there is no listing for the actual number of deaths by the assault rifle, only "mass killings - 18" like "regular killings" don't apply to assault rifles.
The numbers also show universally that great availability of guns lead to increased suicide as the act is typically a transitory impulse and short-lived. I thought the GOP was pro-life and Christian?

Israel figured this out which is why soldiers have to leave their guns at their base when they go home for the weekend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/mythbusting-israel-and-switzerland-are-not-gun-toting-utopias/

EK: As I understand it, there’s a stronger link between guns and suicide than between guns and homicide. And one of the really interesting parts of your paper is your recounting of the Israeli military’s effort to cut suicides among soldiers by restricting access to guns.
JR: Yes, it’s very striking. In Israel, it used to be that all soldiers would take the guns home with them. Now they have to leave them on base. Over the years they’ve done this — it began, I think, in 2006 — there’s been a 60 percent decrease in suicide on weekends among IDS soldiers. And it did not correspond to an increase in weekday suicide. People think suicide is an impulse that exists and builds. This shows that doesn’t happen. The impulse to suicide is transitory. Someone with access to a gun at that moment may commit suicide, but if not, they may not.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i did not realise magpul was located in boulder colorado.....

lulz.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

my only issue: the mixing of accidental/negligent deaths w/ intentional
how about claiming to be an educational poster that labels a shotgun as a "rifle?" that's the kind of **** that sends the gun nuts I know into a tailspin when it comes from the lamestream media.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Which items on that poster have a designed used to kill people and which have a designed use other than kill people.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe we should ban Corvette's too, no one needs that much power.
It's not just that driving requires licenses, they require training, testing, insurance, registration, there are people out on patrols to make sure that people driving cars are doing the right thing, standards that car manufacturers have to meet for safety and features, there are services out there to protect you and render emergency service, and so on. We realize the destructive power of cars, so we have many regulations and controls in place to help mitigate it. Only a complete...well, I 'll just stop myself right here...

And yes, driving should probably be a constitutional right if you meet the required criteria. It's pretty much necessary for anyone to have a living, with some rare exceptions (because even when you take the bus like me, you still have to be able to drive at times, at work, etc).

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
how many people have died because a driver was texting? we should ban cell phones
No, we should just come up with technology/software that disables texting while the cellphone is moving more than 20mph. Simple fix.

To solve the issues of gun violence, we should come up with creative solutions. Obama isn't considering banning guns, but some controls are being considered. I have an AR, but it's not going to ruin my life if I have to give it up. Only a fool is going to take an AR over a Winchester 300 Magnum if the "sh*t hits the fan" scenario ever comes. That right there is telling as to the intelligence of the gun owner. I have the AR because I like plinking and the ammo is cheap. Several guns can fit this requirement though. There are ways to possibly deter gun violence, but it's going to take creativity. My idea is that unless you are at a range, make ammo $20/round, maximum of 10/gun. Then you have enough bullets to kill every man, woman, and child in the country many times over, including the military, so you are "set" for the above "scenario". You also get to shoot and buy ammo at the range to your heart's content, so that part is covered too. By making the ammo a much more restricted commodity, I bet the usage would go down, but research should be done and creative solutions should be sought.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's not just that driving requires licenses, they require training, testing, insurance, registration, there are people out on patrols to make sure that people driving cars are doing the right thing, standards that car manufacturers have to meet for safety and features, there are services out there to protect you and render emergency service, and so on. We realize the destructive power of cars, so we have many regulations and controls in place to help mitigate it. Only a complete...well, I 'll just stop myself right here...

And yes, driving should probably be a constitutional right if you meet the required criteria. It's pretty much necessary for anyone to have a living, with some rare exceptions (because even when you take the bus like me, you still have to be able to drive at times, at work, etc).
i think there's a better argument to make health insurance a constitutional right before cars... besides, we already bailed detroit out once.

at least we don't have the china model of driving. in some provinces over there, there's 0 regulations. They figure if you can afford a car you're smart enough to know how to drive it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

my only issue: the mixing of accidental/negligent deaths w/ intentional
Last time I checked Drunk and reckless driving weren't legal so I think you are harsh. Sending every gun owner to jail like he was a drunk driver because only some of them kill people. Damn liberals. Obama doesn't drive his kids to school himself. Are his children better than ours?