Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That's the only coil sprung shock I've run on a Megatrail, but the stiction is pretty much zero, climbing traction is a little better, and it's really good on high frequency chatter (ie Blue Velvet brake bumps). With the coil, it rides stiffer in the mid stroke, so I run 1mm more sag than I do on an air shock.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's the only coil sprung shock I've run on a Megatrail, but the stiction is pretty much zero, climbing traction is a little better, and it's really good on high frequency chatter (ie Blue Velvet brake bumps). With the coil, it rides stiffer in the mid stroke, so I run 1mm more sag than I do on an air shock.
Looks like you have it in regular gravity mode? Is that mostly where you've had it?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Looks like you have it in regular gravity mode? Is that mostly where you've had it?
There's already an ample amount of gravity in the Whistler area, so moar (super) gravity would likely overload the flux capacitor. And speaking of flux capacitors, anyone have a chance to try out an X2 on the Megajizz? It seems like my CCDBa CS is fast approaching unrideable status. :panic:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There's already an ample amount of gravity in the Whistler area, so moar (super) gravity would likely overload the flux capacitor. And speaking of flux capacitors, anyone have a chance to try out an X2 on the Megajizz? It seems like my CCDBa CS is fast approaching unrideable status. :panic:
I definitely had too much gravity on mine on Monday. Was hauling ass through a steep, fast section, clipped a pedal on a root ball and blew up. Full on rag doll, but came out fine.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've tried a number of setups, but have mostly been using the upper front hole, and switching the rear from Trail to Gravity depending on what I've been riding.
I spent two days in the bike park in Whistler in regular Gravity Mode, but the stiffer compression valve circuit on the ElevenSix.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've tried a number of setups, but have mostly been using the upper front hole, and switching the rear from Trail to Gravity depending on what I've been riding.
I spent two days in the bike park in Whistler in regular Gravity Mode, but the stiffer compression valve circuit on the ElevenSix.
Cool. What are you running for a spring rate?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Interesting. I've really been enjoying my Fox Van RC coil. So simple yet effective (not to mention cheap). Will put the Monarchy back on this weekend to compare.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Another effective tactic is "bicycle math".

Example: "You see honey, I'm going to be able to sell my current (clapped) frame for [cost of new GG frame - 100] dollars, and in return I get a newer, better, safer frame that will last forever (point to single large pivot). You spent $100 on your last haircut (which looks amazing and I totally noticed it) so it seems only fair to me..."

This tactic is best employed just after gracefully enduring a week long visit from the in laws, selling a beloved old truck, cleaning the god forsaken basement, etc. If necessary, pile on additional sales from the parts bin until you are actually earning money buy purchasing a GG frame. It's hard to argue with that kind of logic.

I'll post pics of my (hopefully) soon to be delivered GG/DH here soon as proof of concept.
For any Monkeys doubting the efficacy of my tactics, behold:

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG

Large frame with CCDB
Dorado Expert
Zee drivetrain and brakes
Saint crankers
823s on Hadleys (strong wheels)
'Woo approved G5 rubbers
Mandatory Thompson post, WTB saddle and Renthal bars
Weight: Look at the build. It's not light.

Since there is so much (well deserved) MegaJizz content/praise on this thread, I thought people might like to hear about the GG/DH. At this point, I have only initial impressions after a shakedown day on our local hill (Beech Mountain). Coming off a 2012 V10 and a Sunday before that and have spent a good bit of time on a demo some years ago. I liked a lot about the V10 despite its being unridable, but as my trail bikes grew longer, the (large) V10 really started to feel small and did not give me the same sense of security I love about a DH bike. I found myself wishing that my DH bike could just be a bigger, badder version of my Spitfire in terms of fit and feel. After several helpful conversations with Will at GG, I was convinced that the GG/DH would fit the bill (and my budget) so I pulled the trigger on a large GG/DH. Being 6'2" but with T-rex arms, I debated on size but Will steered me onto a large and I'm so glad he did. 4-5 weeks later the frame arrived. Build up was completely uneventful and I have to say this frame is a work of art. Perfect welds everywhere (see photo evidence) you look and everything clean and well finished. Nice. My only niggle is with the flip chips for adjusting CS length. When I go to push the axle through, it pushes the chip out of its little seat which means I need to hold it in place while guiding the axle and lining up the rear wheel. It's just a bit awkward. No biggie, but I kinda wish there was a little screw to hold the chip in place or something.

Anyhow, getting suspension set was ridiculously easy, I just started at the recommended base tune, added a quarter turn more HSC/HSR and 2 clicks of LSC/LSR as recommended for my weight. I ended up adding another quarter turn of HSR and one more click of LSR as I felt I was getting a tiny bit bucked on some jumps. Super happy with how it feels now--I don't think I've ever got a bike dialed that quickly. Everything else was a carry over from the V10 so things felt familiar. The dorado is set to 18% sag, 2 clicks from full closed HSC and 9 clicks from closed TPC.

As for the ride, I really feel like GG hit it out of the park in accomplishing their stated mission objective. The frame is pretty light, real stiff, easy to set up, and presumably easy to maintain given the single pivot. The bike wants to go fast (as it says on the top tube) and feels better the more you push it. The rear end eats up chatter but really ramps up nicely--never felt it bottom hard and never felt out of sorts no matter what pile of garbage I was landing on. It's a really balanced bike--I could run shit over with abandon (Beech is pretty rocky and loose at the moment), but I could still pick up and hop over things when I wanted to. I think that someone wanting to plow could be happy with this bike but a finesse rider could find a set up he wanted as well. Cornering is predictable and it was easy to load up and pop out of berms. I'm just OK at jumping and I felt really comfortable in the air as soon as I got suspension set. Honestly, I couldn't be more pleased with the entire experience from ordering to build up to first ride. I see a lot of fun days aboard this rig in my future. More to come when I get some moar ride time.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
There's lies, damn lies, and then there's single pivots. What a load of offal that review was. We're talking about a non-patented, no virtual technology having fucking single pivot. There's simply no way it's kinematics can be designed to make it perform nearly as well (or better) as other designs with multiple performance links. In short, you've wasted your ill gotten profits from stealing eyeballs out of unsuspecting patients. But being the steadfast and honorable friend that I am, I will sacrifice my own stokedness and relieve you of this heavy (but lighter than your V10) burden. A better friend Othello did not have in Cassio.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I wondered when someone would see that.... I've got an old VPFree frame that needs to be restored to old school freeride (!) status so the Monster will be put back into service at some point.

SLAYER2015

Chimp
Jun 25, 2015
Attached is my pic (if it works).

Had bike for a month now and have a few rides on it. Got most of the stuff dialed in I think.

Most of it was just getting used to wheel size, dropper post, etc and other things that are new to me since being off bike for last 4 years or so.

Loving the bike so far. Will love it more as I get back into shape and riding more.

Bike came in almost exactly at 31 pounds for large. Scale weight at Gureilla shop and my garage both said 30.98 pounds. My build is listed couple pages back.

Only issue I have is my wheels not being centered. Only noticed this couple weeks ago. Front is offset from center of fork by about 1/8th of inch to non disc side. I took off fork and turned around and confirmed it is not fork. The same is true for the rear as it is also about 1/8 inch closer to drive side. This is resulting in very tight clearance near front of chain stay which would be much more generous if rim was centered. Both rims spin perfectly straight and aligned with calipers perfectly. Seems to be just a truing issue and could tighten spokes on one sited bring rim over and centered to hub? The local bike shop confirmed this.

Update to above issue -
NOX looked into this and have been very supportive, helpful and willing to correct. Turns out they did not build wheels for this build so it was not their fault. Wheels were indeed built by Guerrilla and as NOX points out, explains how it went through their QC. I will have these fixed locally or sent back to NOX.

Anyhow, the bike is stellar so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just redish your wheels. It's pretty easy, especially if those nox things don't have some screwy nipple setup.

I had to do my rear one a little to center it. It's not uncommon.

Any shop with a truing stand can do it. It's not like building one.

SLAYER2015

Chimp
Jun 25, 2015
Just redish your wheels. It's pretty easy, especially if those nox things don't have some screwy nipple setup.

I had to do my rear one a little to center it. It's not uncommon.

Any shop with a truing stand can do it. It's not like building one.

Thanks. I do not trust myself enough to do it, but I may have local shop do it depending what NOX says. I am just paved that I can put a $200 whilset in to check and all is perfect....but a set that I plunked almost $2k for I have to deal with this and if shop fixes, then I pay them too....

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Loosen the drive side 1/2 turn each nipple, then tighten the non-drive side 1/2 turn each nipple. Repeat until centered. Not hard and the tire doesn't even need to come off.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yarp. Moab, Portal trail. Near the bottom.

@Woo - I think there's another rock I'd like seen removed. The sharp pointy rock at the bottom of a rockslab switchback thingy just a bit up from this section. That thing always gets either my shoe, crank, frame or wheel. Or all of the above.

Nonetheless Portal is one of the best out there IMO.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
rear triangles or short travel 29ers? If it's the latter, I say "yes". If it's the former, I say "stop crashing your bike into trees, sucker"

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Didn't you hear? The state of Colorado just outlawed 29ers.

Forcing a gazilion yeti sb95 owners to move back to Texas ;)

Anywayz...I've got a great switchbacky trail for you to test that bad boy on ifn yer interested

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm always interested in new trails, @SylentK , as long as they kick ass.

And, we are doing a camping weekend in Moab in mid-November; all are invited for that. It will surely include watching me gaper my way down some hills.

@Sandwich , 29ers aren't cool, but neither am I, so it works out. I also ride a Buell motorcycle, so I'm used to non-acceptance and ridicule from both Harley owners and sportbike riders.