Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/guerrilla-gravity-megatrail-review-2015.html
Kidwoo's review was a lot more insightful, so it's justified that he is raking in all those sweet advertising dollars.

At least the pinkbike guys found a way to get rid of the frame's most useless feature, simply by eliminating four holes and somehow saving weight in the process.

"The fact that the Trail setting worked so well did make me wonder if Guerrilla Gravity could shave a little weight off the frame by eliminating the adjustable geometry"

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Kidwoo's review was a lot more insightful, so it's justified that he is raking in all those sweet advertising dollars.

At least the pinkbike guys found a way to get rid of the frame's most useless feature, simply by eliminating four holes and somehow saving weight in the process.

"The fact that the Trail setting worked so well did make me wonder if Guerrilla Gravity could shave a little weight off the frame by eliminating the adjustable geometry"
Have you ridden a MT? I don't consider the shock position adjustments to be useless at all.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Have you ridden a MT? I don't consider the shock position adjustments to be useless at all.
This fine morning we have a choice of whoosh.gif or thatsthejoke.jpg ;)

I have not ridden one unfortunately, but judging by everything i read in this thread and kidwoo's review that pointed out the rather substantial differences between all the modes, i'd concur that the feature is quite useful and essential to the MT's appeal.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
As someone who owns the Megatrail for almost a year now I find kidwoo's review to cover 1:1 my experience with the frame, sans the shock (got the frame w/CCDB AIR CS). Also, Plaid™ and Super Gravity™ FTW! On the other hand, the last sentence in pinkbike's review really says it all - pushing the limits is all that matters and the Megatrail simply delivers.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This fine morning we have a choice of whoosh.gif or thatsthejoke.jpg ;)

I have not ridden one unfortunately, but judging by everything i read in this thread and kidwoo's review that pointed out the rather substantial differences between all the modes, i'd concur that the feature is quite useful and essential to the MT's appeal.
Haha cool. I was a couple beers in (I'm in Japan, it's evening here) and I guess my sarcasm meter was a little off.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just bought two new houses this morning.

*facepalm*

First off, that would be the rear holes that he's talking about which wouldn't save dick and would take away the fact that this is the one trail bike made with a proper BB height. Also.......just fuck that.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Very nice to see GG doing some nifty improvements to the Megatrail, those machined slots for the shock mounts are really clever.
@mtg: I've got this in the mail, have you consider it as an option (or as a standard?) for the frame? If you can source some M8 bolts with 5mm hex for the shock mounts it'd make those mode changes even easier w/ the X-FIX.
And another idea, a spare bolt for the der hanger? Something like on the Liteville would be neat to have.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
M8 bolts with a 5mm hex would be nifty. I would imagine that would have to be a custom item, though.

I carry a Park I beam mini multi tool with me every time I ride, which works great for engaging the Shred Knob. I've thought about the X Fix. We can get those, but I think most people carry a multi tool.
The spare bolt has also been considered. So far, the failure rate is low, but what do you guys think? It would ultimately increase the frame cost by about $15 to put in the extra machining and bolt (those bolts cost moar $$ than you'd think they should).

We're pretty pumped on the new Trail/Gravity guides. That's one of those things where in CAD it looked like it was going to work well.....and it actually does in real life. Score.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
M8 bolts with a 5mm hex would be nifty. I would imagine that would have to be a custom item, though.
Most low head M8 socket cap screws are 5mm hex. Ditto button heads.

The spare bolt has also been considered. So far, the failure rate is low, but what do you guys think? It would ultimately increase the frame cost by about $15 to put in the extra machining and bolt (those bolts cost moar $$ than you'd think they should).
That's one I'd chalk up to nifty in principle but not worth it. If I've got a pack with me, I have a bolt in it anyway. If I don't have a pack, I don't have a multi-tool, so I'm fucked anyway. The X-Fix doesn't solve that problem either, since you're not getting the broken off bolt tail off with that.

We're pretty pumped on the new Trail/Gravity guides. That's one of those things where in CAD it looked like it was going to work well.....and it actually does in real life. Score.
That is a good idea. I approve.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
All fair points, we customers are picky and like nifty stuff though, so I thought those options might be attractive for future Megatrailers :)
I do ride with a small hydro pack and I have all in it - spare tube, multitool, even first aid kit. At the same time I always switch modes before descending and to be honest my lazy ass hates the idea of taking off the hydro and reaching for the multitool...so x-fix on the way :D and I did find some M8 button heads with 5mm hex (10.9 grade though, should be enough). Then there are the days when you leave the pack home and 5mm or 4mm hex are pretty much 95% of the bolts on the bike, so...
Hell if the shock mounts were on the linkage not the stays I'd have sent you a dozen mails already asking for a new one :D

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
The tool would be cool as I never carry anything with me...but knock on wood I rarely have a mechanical and Ill take a 5mile run over riding with a backpack anyday....I've had good luck with hanger bolts too

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Good point about button heads and low heads. I intended that to mean socket head cap screw for the full hex engagement, though.

@imbecile, we use 12.9 grade bolts for shock mounts. 10.9 haven't been tested, FYI

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
For the record, I just want everyone to enjoy this moment...this light hearted technical banter between us monkeys and the actual dude who designs/engineers GG bikes...<reflective pause>

It won't last forever...not at this rate. Soon enough, these GG guys (and gal) will start growing like my prostrate gland over the past few years, and the next thing you know, mtg will be drunkenly commanding his legion of attorneys to sue Jane Goodall, NASA, and Brad Flynn from his hot tub (in a private jet). It will start innocently enough, with perhaps mtg being awarded a patent for gravity, but it will mushroom into special GG "standards", GG concept stores popping up everywhere, moving their HQ from Denver to Guang Zhou China, high class strippers figuring prominently in their Super Bowl spots, WC team featuring only high class strippers, paying High on Fire to name an album after himself, etc...

But in the meantime, I'll appreciate mtg in his pedestrian, uncorrupted condition.

Last edited:

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
For the record, I just want to everyone to enjoy this moment...this light hearted technical banter between us monkeys and the actual dude who designs/engineers GG bikes...<reflective pause>

It won't last forever...not at this rate. Soon enough, these GG guys (and gal) will start growing like my prostrate gland over the past few years, and the next the you know, mtg will be drunkenly commanding his legion of attorneys to sue Jane Goodall, NASA, and Brad Flynn from his hot tub (in a private jet). It will start innocently enough, with perhaps mtg being awarded a patent for gravity, but it will mushroom into special GG "standards", GG concept stores popping up everywhere, moving their HQ from Denver to Guang Zhou China, high class strippers figuring prominently in their Super Bowl spots, WC team featuring only high class strippers, paying High on Fire to name an album after himself, etc...

But in the meantime, I'll appreciate mtg in his pedestrian, uncorrupted condition.
@mtg

I'd prefer to stay and handle Colorado operations if that's OK.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Any way to possibly get a few more MM of tire clearance on the rear stays?
Good point. With Maxxis 2.3 DHF's I've got tire marks on the inside of my chain/seat stays. I looks like it has plenty of clearance, but I assume the rubbing happens when I corner like a total amateur pretending he's rock jesus. It's not bad, but with a white frame its pretty obvious.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I am. Pretty equal on both sides, both stays. I never notice any rubbing noise or anything. Just the marks after I gave it a wash. And they're not bad. Not like it constantly rubs. Pretty sure its in the wheel flex.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah I was going to ask what you've got going on for wheels.........I think IJ is running some stiffer plastic ones which probably aren't moving side to side a whole lot. Maybe if he's got pinner spokes.
We are using 14 straight gauge spokes on 40mm plastic hoops. We have a 2.35 on the back there isn't much room for mud. luckily it doesn't rain here much....Nothing has rubbed that I have seen yet.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm running a 2.3 DHF on mine with Enve wheels that I laced and it doesn't rub.