Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
I'm starting to like the lower front shock mount of the MT a lot (aka SuperTrail and SuperGravity). As expected though, the leverage is a bit more progressive, so I have the HSC almost fully open and find it hard to achieve full travel on the descents. Would an XV can for the CCDBAirCS be a better option for when the Super modes are used? Or would it be the same result and feeling as having normal can on normal Trail and Gravity modes?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I'm starting to like the lower front shock mount of the MT a lot (aka SuperTrail and SuperGravity). As expected though, the leverage is a bit more progressive, so I have the HSC almost fully open and find it hard to achieve full travel on the descents. Would an XV can for the CCDBAirCS be a better option for when the Super modes are used? Or would it be the same result and feeling as having normal can on normal Trail and Gravity modes?
Does the AIr Can have any spacers in it now? If so you can remove as needed. I thought they told me it had a few in it from Cane Creek when they shipped. That will for sure make it more Linear.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
No spacers inside.
@mtg: just out of curiosity - did you design the Megatrail with linear/digressive LR in the last part of the travel or it has a continuously progressive LR all the way? Also does the LR curve shape change when in the SuperHole® or it just alters the numerical value of the LR? I'd guess it gets lower in order to achieve more mid-stroke support and more ramp up.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So I need to get shorter cranks. Just rock smash heaven even in trail mode. I am running 175mm right now are you guys using 165 or 170mm arms?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
170 is the most common; 165 is fairly rare.

What sag are you running, and how do you measure it?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm running 170's, but am considering ditching my MegaTrail for a Klein Mantra so that the rear suspension can help absorb some of the pedal strike force. Hopefully GG will adopt this suspension design in their next version (the Mega Unified Rear Triangle, or MURT, but sans the Lawwill)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Seated attack position. I am not the best about checking shock pressure but typically once a week. I am around 20mm on the shaft of shock.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Seated attack position. I am not the best about checking shock pressure but typically once a week. I am around 20mm on the shaft of shock.
Im running 170 cranks with the recommended 14mm of sag but I measure it while standing...sounds like you need to add some air..

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That is in 5" mode BTW.

I am leaning towards 165mm arms but am a bit worried since I am running a 5" dropper and the 175mm are about right with the KS post at the MIN insert line. That they may be too short....

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
No spacers inside.
@mtg: just out of curiosity - did you design the Megatrail with linear/digressive LR in the last part of the travel or it has a continuously progressive LR all the way? Also does the LR curve shape change when in the SuperHole® or it just alters the numerical value of the LR? I'd guess it gets lower in order to achieve more mid-stroke support and more ramp up.
I didn't notice your question until now.
There's no regression anywhere in the leverage curve. For Super Gravity, it's basically the same leverage curve as Trail Mode, but the geometry and travel of Gravity Mode, so yes, it does change the shape of the curve.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone try running a coil shock on the MT? I'm debating trying a vector HLR on there for kicks.

Edit: Actually I can get the DVO jade for the same price. I think that's a better idea. Thoughts?

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
He has a mohawk glued to the top of his full face so you know.......I wouldn't take THAT much care. :D
HAD, past tense. That reminds me, I should get a new one for my current helmet.

I'd say that I'm taking suggestions for paint schemes, but probably none of you have as horrible of taste as I do.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
HAD, past tense. That reminds me, I should get a new one for my current helmet.

I'd say that I'm taking suggestions for paint schemes, but probably none of you have as horrible of taste as I do.
You could do school bus yellow. It'll have the right proportions.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I tried to do that to my old Jackal dj frame last year. Didn't have the patience (or the skill). Came out looking like I'd dipped it in glue and ridden through a sugar factory.

If someone could pull it off properly it would be baller.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Anyone try running a coil shock on the MT? I'm debating trying a vector HLR on there for kicks.

Edit: Actually I can get the DVO jade for the same price. I think that's a better idea. Thoughts?
I have a Fox Van RC that I am going to try. I got it as a "cheap" backup shock, but have yet to use it as my monarch has actually been reliable as of late. Even lasted a lovely trip to Moab where many hucks to flat were performed.

As for color: Leopard. To go with all the Troy Lee leopard clothing that will be on closeout special because they are not going to sell ;)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
And btw, your silly conversations about 170-175mm cranks make me chuckle. I'll be mobbing through rocks on 180mm XT cranks on this bad boy :P

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
And btw, your silly conversations about 170-175mm cranks make me chuckle. I'll be mobbing through rocks on 180mm XT cranks on this bad boy :P
Dude my crank arm when straight down in Gravity Mode is maybe 4" off the ground unweighted....FYI

Those XT's are gonna be ground down to 170mm on Tunnel within a month.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Dude my crank arm when straight down in Gravity Mode is maybe 4" off the ground unweighted....FYI

Those XT's are gonna be ground down to 170mm on Tunnel within a month.
I left that sh*t hole of SB over a year ago. I'll full Bay area now. They don't make rocks in Santa Cruz apparently. So I'm all good.

As for pics...let's wait until it's all done before we show any. But send them to me as you're taking them.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I left that sh*t hole of SB over a year ago. I'll full Bay area now. They don't make rocks in Santa Cruz apparently. So I'm all good.

As for pics...let's wait until it's all done before we show any. But send them to me as you're taking them.
Dude I grew up in north Marin. I don't think there is anywhere in The Bay I would rather live than SB or SLO unless pay was 3-4x what I could make down here.....

You will be fine up there with longer arms probably. There are two rocky trails on TAM but they are steep enough you don't really have to pedal....

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
These are 170's....granted my forks dropped but you could prob use 180's as a kickstand...

That said I never clip pedals on the descent and the only places I clip climbing I also did on my bike with a 14" bb...I guess if I was riding trails I didnt know it might be a different story

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I don't think there is anywhere in The Bay I would rather live than SB or SLO unless pay was 3-4x what I could make down here.....
Well luckily that's near the multiple I get working in the Bay compared to SB :). Plus there's very few decent (if any) job oppurtunities in SB. (My sh*t hole comment was sarcastic)

Also, SC trails are way better than SB IMO. Granted shuttling oppurtinites are basically non-exsistant. But I'll take pedaling up shaded single track and descending steep MTB specific trails over climbing exposed dusty fireroads and riding down flat hiking trails any day of the week. Plus much more moto close by. (SB/SLO is still sick don't get me wrong).

Re:wydopen
Yeah, I've never understood how 5mm can make a difference clipping rocks. If I'm gonna clip 180's, I'm gonna clip 175's too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, I've never understood how 5mm can make a difference clipping rocks. If I'm gonna clip 180's, I'm gonna clip 175's too.

It doesn't really. If you suck you suck. Where I notice the biggest difference is dropping an outside pedal in a turn with crappy traction. That 5mm is noticeable in where your center of gravity ends up. It's only 5mm but that's where I seem to pick up on it.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
descending steep MTB specific trails
Granted I have only shot 4 trails up there and ridden on 2 but none where "steep" and as Mikey said he has ridden all of em on his YETI DJ bike at speed. There are a few with good size jumps though....very flowy and filled with tacky hero dirt is a nice change from down here...

You will have to show me some trails up there mainly becauseI just wanna see what he would look like on a bike and you are about as close as I will get.