Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
You probably had to pressurize your negative air spring. You fill it up, cycle the sock and then check the pressure again. Air will go from positive to negative chamber and need to be set again.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The initial inflation of SilentK's shock was at GG, and we set sag, including the bouncing to break seal stiction. I figured that would have filled the whole negative chamber, but apparently not.

I also have a Monarch Plus Debonair on my bike at the moment, and yeah, it did reduce the main can pressure by about half once the negative chamber filled. As far as the shock goes, I'd agree that the damper valving feels similar to the Pike. Aka, great traction and control. The RC3 adjuster is 3 clicks of LSC, which is much better than a threshold/lockout, but if you want something between the clicks, you'd have to internally adjust it. It's simpler than a Cane Creek, but doesn't have the fine tune adjustments.
The air spring curve is a little different than the DB Air, and I'm experimenting with sag fine tuning. That is the biggest difference that I feel while riding.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The air spring curve is a little different than the DB Air, and I'm experimenting with sag fine tuning. That is the biggest difference that I feel while riding.

What's up with the DB inline? I already know the regular DBair is goofy but was hoping for something better out of the little guy. Because I want exactly that......some ls compression tuning between the abundance of all of three settings on my monarch.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
^^ It's like finally dumping your old girlfriend for a slightly hotter chic. Ya, the hotter chic is hotter, but she requires more attention and therefore more of your time and let's not forget money. Cuz hot chics like that require money. Does she perform any better? Well....usually, sorta. Sometimes. Well, when you're in situations that the hotter chic does what your ex-gf didn't do so well at. Which, usually isn't very often. But this chic costs more and takes more time...is it worth it? Sometimes, maybe.

:D

Yes, that was my CCDBA vs. Monarch/Fox analogy. And pretty much why I went w/ the Monarchy.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What are you talking about that's goofy on the DB Air?

The Inline is really good. The air can size difference is more noticeable than any change in damper performance compared to the DB Air. What do you mean about the air spring question?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Don't get me started on "plush"...

The wallowing, IMO, is not a problem with the DB Air, but an issue with the combo of leverage curve plus shock. The DB Air has a large volume air spring, but the midstroke isn't super soft compared to other stuff I've looked into.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I'm with mtg here. I've only ridden a DBa on my Megatrail, but it works well there. And I did hate the Nomad I demo'd a while ago for the exact phenomenon 'woo described. Well that and the BB height and the cockpit setup. :D

EDIT: the above is true in Trail and Super Gravity modes. I do think it needs more midstroke support in Gravity mode.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, I'm with mtg here. I've only ridden a DBa on my Megatrail, but it works well there. And I did hate the Nomad I demo'd a while ago for the exact phenomenon 'woo described. Well that and the BB height and the cockpit setup. :D

EDIT: the above is true in Trail and Super Gravity modes. I do think it needs more midstroke support in Gravity mode.
Try Super Gravity, with the lower front shock mount hole. It does exactly what you're looking for.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Fair enough.....I'm going off a sample of one.

But speaking of which, did you guys ever put out any leverage ratio info on the megatrails? pretty graphs and stuff?
Stop beating around the bush and just pull the trigger..you know you want one

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Jackalope pretty much nailed it. I was hoping to keep it a secret that the leverage curve looks like dongulus, but the cat's out of the bag now.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I see Troy Lee Designs is sponsoring BikerFox for 2015. I think those are the sprint shorts in the bikerfox colorway.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I was actually hoping Cannondale would sign him and at least give him an old carbon Raven, but alas, it seems that they just signed Clementz to a 3 year deal, so they probably have blown their sponsorship wad. But if they could work it out, maybe he can create a new market for enduro specific bar ends (or maybe OTB guide sticks?).

Olga_icannot

Chimp
Aug 16, 2014
Seattle
Awesome bike is awesome.
Agreed with HAB, the bike is awesome. I've been on mine for a couple months now so I figured I should write a review. First the boring bits-I'm 5'10" and about 140 pounds without my pack. I like to ride bikes. The downhills are the best part (of course) but I don't mind climbing to the top so I like my bikes to be good descenders and at least competent climbers. I spent three years on a Mojo HD 140, then several months earlier this summer on a Yeti SB-66a. I've also put a couple hundred miles on a good friend's Santa Cruz 5010c over the summer so those are my recent references. I live in Seattle so most of my riding is around here but I've done trail rides in Squamish, Whistler, Tahoe, Bay Area, Bend, and Hood River this summer. A good all 'rounder is my favorite kind of bike and my favorite kind of ride.
Here's my medium 26" build:

Megatrail_small.jpg

The build is between 29 and 30 pounds depending on if I'm riding my flat pedals or clipless pedals. A couple things attracted me to the bike-26" wheels, dialed geometry, Matt and Will at Guerrilla are great to work with, a water bottle cage inside the main triangle, threaded BB and external cable routing, and having an aluminum bike after riding several carbon bikes over the years.
I've been riding the bike in 150mm trail mode, no gravity mode for me, and it's been great. I'm still working out the Double Barrel tune a bit but it's getting close. The bike climbs well, it's not an XC bike, but it's not intended to be one. It gets me to the top and it's a comfortable fit when climbing, easy to stretch out and a great position to generate climbing power. My buddies don't drop me any more than they used to. When standing it scoots along nicely but on long smooth drags I definitely notice a bit of bob. I had the DB air from another bike so I used it on here but I may upgrade to a DB air CS or DB Inline in the future to filter that out. I didn't buy this bike to win a race to the top of the fire road climb so I’m not bothered too much by it. It’s definitely a long bike which is a detriment every once in a while when navigating switchbacks or tight spots but for the most part the length is not a negative. It’s also very low so I do hit my pedals on occasion, though my HD140 was actually lower but must not have sagged as much because I hit my pedals less.
Going downhill the frame really shines. The faster you go the happier it is, the low BB and short chainstays make it a hoot to corner on and coming out of a berm it feel like it’s being propelled by a slingshot. I don’t get a hint of twist or flex from the frame and the shock rate gives the bike plenty of support in the middle of the stroke which makes it a fun bike to pump and find backsides on, encouraging you to pick up speed. With the long front end it definitely needs to be ridden from the front. A couple times it felt like it wanted to squirt away from me if I let my weight shift too far back. Unlike climbing where the length is sometimes a negative, heading downhill the length is always a positive. I like to think that I’m a smooth rider, I pick my lines and hold speed through sections and corners rather than plow and sprint out of corners. The low BB heights works great for me and the way I ride but if I were the type of rider that pedaled hard through every rough section and out of every corner I would be smashing my pedals lots.
Since everybody loves comparisons I consider the HD and 5010 great climbers, out of the four bikes I have recent experience with they are definitely a step better than the Yeti or MT. Yes, part of that is due to having lighter builds and less travel and part of it is due to the intended design of those bikes. The Megatrail and Yeti are much closer together in intended purpose than they are to the 5010 or HD140. The Yeti/Guerrilla comparison is more of a toss up. I feel like the Yeti was a slightly better climber-firmer under power with less bob in the smooth sections. I think the MT is a slightly better descender-a little more stable in the rough, a little lower BB for more fun in the corners, a little stiffer rear end, a little more low speed support for better pop and cornering support, and a more straight forward feel to the shock rate. Based solely on the ride and my preferences in trail bikes I would have a hard time picking between the two of them. As a whole package though I much prefer the Guerrilla and see myself definitely riding it for quite a while.