Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

hombreduro

Chimp
Oct 12, 2014
Ok. .. I'm intrigued. I had never heard of this bike until yesterday. I somehow came across it on the mtbr forum and have since spent at least 8 hours searching and reading everything I could find out about it. I thought I had it narrowed down to either the Santa Cruz 5010 (w/Pike 140), Bronson, or maybe the Kona Process 134. I'm coming off a Pivot Firebird and a SC Blur lt2 before that. The Firebird kills the downhill and climbs pretty good for an almost 7" travel bike, I rode it at Bootleg Canyon in Vegas for a couple of years and it was the perfect bike to do everything out there. Moved up to Reno 2 years ago and just find the trails are different here. A LOT of climbing and the downhills are pretty groomed. Ofcourse Northstar is only a little more than an hour away. .. but let's be honest, I've only made it there and to Downieville once in two years.
I love to go down, but the reality is 99% of what I do is climb now, and I keep thinking I'd probably be happier overall on my old blur.
I'm really leaning towards the SC 5010, deep down I think it's the right bike for up here= can be built up light, pedals pretty well, can still handle anything downhill that I typically ride up here, and I've seen a few used frames going for pretty good deals. .. but I'm intrigued by the forward geometry of the MT and the Kona. I think this is the wave of progression for mtbiking.
Bottom line, I would buy this bike if it climbs better than and is more fun than a 5010- so that is my question- how does it climb? how fun is it on normal trails? I like a bike that is light and poppy, easy to throw around. I lost some of that when I sold my Blur and went to the Firebird, kills it on techy steep stuff, but much harder to pop around and play with on a regualr trail. I'm just asumming that's the way it is with bigger bikes/suspension.
That would be my conern with this bike, getting another Firebird- great when it is up to speed and pointed down the gnarly stuff....which is only like 2% of what I actually get to ride now.
So any riders coming from a Blur/5010 type of bike that spends an hour and a half climbing to get a 20 minute down hill have any feedback on this bike?
(sorry for the long email, but wanted you to know where I'm coming from and what I'm looking for, thanks)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm obviously biased myself, but that was how we came up with the Trail Mode and Gravity Mode idea. A lot of riding we do have hard climbs without super gnarly descents. But, we still wanted full smash capability whenever we ride terrain that warrants it™, and didn't want to compromise climbing on the XC-ish rides and definitely didn't want to compromise the descending on more downhill oriented rides. Hence, two different setups that are easy to swap between.

And here's an excerpt from an unbiased mtbr review at Outerbike comparing the climbing to other bikes:

"In my mind the Megatrail is definfitely a bigger bike, more on par with the Nomad, SB6c, Giant Reign, Spartan, etc. but certainly climbs with the these light, mini-link, carbon wunderbikes as well." - Whole review here: http://www.stuckinthespokes.com/#sthash.pCcKcPvx.dpuf

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Bottom line, I would buy this bike if it climbs better than and is more fun than a 5010- so that is my question- how does it climb? how fun is it on normal trails? I like a bike that is light and poppy, easy to throw around. I lost some of that when I sold my Blur and went to the Firebird, kills it on techy steep stuff, but much harder to pop around and play with on a regualr trail. I'm just asumming that's the way it is with bigger bikes/suspension.
That would be my conern with this bike, getting another Firebird- great when it is up to speed and pointed down the gnarly stuff....which is only like 2% of what I actually get to ride now.
So any riders coming from a Blur/5010 type of bike that spends an hour and a half climbing to get a 20 minute down hill have any feedback on this bike?
(sorry for the long email, but wanted you to know where I'm coming from and what I'm looking for, thanks)
As the designated GG fluffer, take the following with a bag of sodium chloride, but I came off a Blur LTc (with a CCDBa) and I had a similar concern about losing some playfulness. Turns out my fears were utterly unfounded, and I'd even say the Megajizz is actually easier to pop off stuff and throw around once you get accustomed to the front-center arrangement. Also keep in mind the Megajizz has 150mm of travel in trail mode compared to 140 mm (or 145 mm?) for the Blur LT, so its not really that different - just (much) better geo IMO. Climbs as well or better than anything I've ridden, and thats even without the climb switch engaged the vast majority of the time. No experience with the Solo/5010, but I'd speculate it would only have an advantage going up if it weighed several lbs less than a comparable Megajizz build. FWIW, my Blur LTc was only like a pound lighter than my Megajizz, although I did change up a few components, so I'd guess I could've 1.5 to 2 lbs lighter with my current build...Meh...

And when Mr. Newton starts working in your favor, the Megajizz is a much, much more competent descender than the Blur - especially in Newton Mode.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I love my Megatrail. That said, it's a pretty different bike than the 5010, and that wasn't even on my radar of things to cross shop as a result. The MT is just a bigger bike- more travel, slacker, stiffer, and yes, heavier. In a word, bigger. It climbs well for what it is, and feels a lot more sprightly than other similar bikes I've got time on (Mk2 Rune, Enduro, SB66, Etc). That said, it still isn't a steeper angled 5" bike like the 5010. It all depends what you want. If you want something that climbs really well and still descends fine, I'd be looking at something like the 5010. I want a bike that lets me attack descents balls out, but still climbs pretty well and isn't too much of a pig to pedal all day. The Megatrail absolutely excels at that.

hombreduro

Chimp
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks for the feedback on the MT. Just wish I could test ride one. I almost pulled the trigger on a 5010c, but still interested in the Transition Scout or MT. Scout could be a 5010, but little more aggressive, forward geometry. MT would be more aggressive for sure...if it was a 140 with ability to change to 150...that would be the quiver killer and there would be no question, hint, hint, GG...

KidWoo, you in the area? I do ride White's and Thomas all the time, I like Galena to White's to Thomas and back also..but nothing that really deems a big bike. Don't get me wrong the downs are fun at full speed with the extra squish, but there are lots of climbs and nothing I can't ride on my old 2003 SC Heckler. I have ridden Tyrolean at Mt Rose and the Corral and Armstrong Connector trail at S Lake. Those are great trails for the bigger bike...but I still think I could hang on a 5010 or Scout for most of it.

Just need a personalized demo day with all three bikes on my local trails, is that too much to ask?

hombreduro

Chimp
Oct 12, 2014
I do love the fact that you can customize the MT though. Frames look sick and great shock. I'd probably build it up myself from there. Very cool.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Drive down here you can try my megatrail

Well worth the drive for the riding alone...I could point you in the direction of some insanely long and ripping descents if you dont mind the climbs

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Is that a cowbell on your stem? If so, you've pegged my hero meter.

Btw, we should trade wheelsets. I have white rims, but a murdered out Pike.
yes its a cowbell...its so you dont kill multimillionaire senior citizen hikers when you are drifting the rear wheel around a cliffside blind turn at 35mph...pretty much a requirement around here..

its a small price to pay for awesome trails..the one Im about to drop into in the picture is about 15min at top speed all downhill but it drops into one of the richest areas in Ca..not the kind of people you want to get on the wrong side of.. there were some major DH/hiker conflicts back in the day and running bells was one of the compromises to keep the trails open for mtb..Ive been using one for so long I dont even notice it anymore and also its nice because usually hikers are off to the side of the trail by the time I get there so barley a brake tap is necessary..I try to ride early though so I usually only catch people at the bottom of the trail

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Will is going to be in Moab this weekend with a couple demos. Time for a road trip :)

A "Minitrail" with 140 Trail and 150 Gravity would have quite a bit of overlap. But, you could run slightly less sag, which would give a similar feel. Suggestion noted, though.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Will is going to be in Moab this weekend with a couple demos. Time for a road trip :)

A "Minitrail" with 140 Trail and 150 Gravity would have quite a bit of overlap. But, you could run slightly less sag, which would give a similar feel. Suggestion noted, though.
wouldnt mind a 110mm slack 29er and a mega4x/slope would be fun...a little steeper/shorter but keep the low bb with 80mm of travel :brows:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

She is built a size LG and sits at 31.95LBS with the following.
1. Megatrail LG w CCDB AIR
2. Mattoc Pro
3. Chris King Tapered HS
4. Race Face SIXc 35mm Bars
5. Race Face SIXc 175 Cranks
6. Race Face ATlas 35mm Stem
7. KS LEV Post
8. WTB Silverado SLT Saddle
9. SRAM X01 Dre., Cass., Shifter 11SPD
10. MRP AMG Bashguard
11. Race Face 34 Tooth ring
12. Magura MT7 203, 180 brakes
13. Derby Hoops Laced to Profile Elite Hubs
14. Specialized Butcher Grid 2.3F and Slaughter Grid 2.3 Rear Tires

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Noticed that too, but I haven't had any recent experience with Magura, so I wasn't sure if they had (vastly) improved since my old Louise FRs. I could also point out the wonky looking cable routing, but that may be due to the Mattoc's reverse arch design. I also overlooked the seatpost clamp being, well, unclamped...:panic:

The main problem was I couldn't find a gif that said "almost flawless victory", especially with such conviction.

With all that in mind, thats a terrible bike ian and you should air mail it to me posthaste :thumb:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
eh i can't say flawless. there are magura brakes and a bottle cage.
Well the Magura brakes are 270 Grams a pop. Though I am a Hope user usually, I can save almost 1LB in brake alone running the new DH Magura's and they feel pretty good. Not as adjustable as Hope but lots of power. They can almost get as spongy as the Hopes and since I have the same brake control as Bobby Brown has for crack I need all the help I can get. The brakes are a hell of a lot better than Shimano or Avid I ran Purple Hayes for years I don't need on/off option for control any longer. Also Magura sends the brakes long enough to use on a Harley I cut about 2' of line off each end and the bike almost has 1 48" wheelbase. I may chop the front one again.....

The cage well it is lame......

The post is clamped thats just a stick in the grass right at same angle.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well the Magura brakes are 270 Grams a pop. Though I am a Hope user usually, I can save almost 1LB in brake alone running the new DH Magura's and they feel pretty good. Not as adjustable as Hope but lots of power. They can almost get as spongy as the Hopes and since I have the same brake control as Bobby Brown has for crack I need all the help I can get. The brakes are a hell of a lot better than Shimano or Avid I ran Purple Hayes for years I don't need on/off option for control any longer. Also Magura sends the brakes long enough to use on a Harley I cut about 2' of line off each end and the bike almost has 1 48" wheelbase. I may chop the front one again.....

The cage well it is lame......

The post is clamped thats just a stick in the grass right at same angle.
are these the maguras that got recalled? or the revised ones that they came out with as a result of the recall?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
are these the maguras that got recalled? or the revised ones that they came out with as a result of the recall?
I think only the MT8 had the AIR bleed issue than when inverted would pull air into them. I actually have a set of those in garage they went through 2 DH bikes. I never sent them back in. Maybe I should......These are their new DH brakes supposed to have the power of their Louise brakes...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
She is built a size LG and sits at 31.95LBS with the following.
1. Megatrail LG w CCDB AIR
2. Mattoc Pro
3. Chris King Tapered HS
4. Race Face SIXc 35mm Bars
5. Race Face SIXc 175 Cranks
6. Race Face ATlas 35mm Stem
7. KS LEV Post
8. WTB Silverado SLT Saddle
9. SRAM X01 Dre., Cass., Shifter 11SPD
10. MRP AMG Bashguard
11. Race Face 34 Tooth ring
12. Magura MT7 203, 180 brakes
13. Derby Hoops Laced to Profile Elite Hubs
14. Specialized Butcher Grid 2.3F and Slaughter Grid 2.3 Rear Tires
Super nice build. I have the Lev post too but never liked their lever and made my right shift into the remote for the post. Greatly improves the ability to use the post.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Do you sit there and flick it so it makes a nice ding sound during all that boredom?
the juice is worth the squeeze..

also if you hammer hard enough extreme exhaustion replaces any boredom

Last edited: