Quantcast

Grips

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was building a bike to sell and threw on a pair of non-lock on Oury's I've had in my parts bin for ages. I rode it around for a bit and realized they felt much better then I remembered without the plastic sleeves that are built into lock-ons. That got me thinking - are there any lock-on grips that don't use the plastic sleeve? Ideally something that's fairly thick like an Oury and that lets you run your hands to the end of the bar? Besides the single sided clamp grips, I've seen some grips are now are using compression plugs on the end. I'd think that would allow you to try something that fixes itself at either end of the grip and could make it possible to do away with the plastic sleeve.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Best grips ever..

http://www.jensonusa.com/Teva-Lock-On-Grips

I used to be all about the thin grips but after trying these I cant use anything else...these were a promotional item only but I guess when teva bailed on the mtb market they gave them to jensons to sell...some guys I ride with worked/still work there so I've been getting em from them but when they runout Ill have to buy them...they are awesome..thicker than a grip like the ruffian but with the cutouts they dont feel super thick...they are also really good for gloveless...they are prob closer to a rogue in diameter but feel wayyyy better

Also if you like grips without the outside lock ring I just cut them off...Ive ran sensus grips like that for awhile and never had a problem...Ive never seen a grip without the plastic sleeve

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I really like the Oury non lock on grips, but have trouble getting them to not move around on the bars. Last time I installed them I used rubber cement and they still moved. I just replaced them on my trail bike with the Oury lock on grips instead that I picked up a while back on sale. The grip is still good, but they lack the squishiness of the non lock ons.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I really like the Oury non lock on grips, but have trouble getting them to not move around on the bars. Last time I installed them I used rubber cement and they still moved. I just replaced them on my trail bike with the Oury lock on grips instead that I picked up a while back on sale. The grip is still good, but they lack the squishiness of the non lock ons.
hairspray

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I never had problems with them slipping as long as I put them on with an air compressor. You can always wire them on as well, it's just more of a pain in the ass to take them on and off.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Sensus and Easton have some good thin lockons.

And yeah any of those one sided lockons like that teva (specialized makes some too) are good.
Thin grips kill the nerves in my hands, plus for some reason they make the front end of my bike feel less substantial (not sure how to describe the sensation, I feel more confident in the front end of my bike with thicker grips).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
And yeah any of those one sided lockons like that teva (specialized makes some too) are good.
Question: I've been running ODI Rogues more or less since always and have never been that badly bothered by the outside clamp, but can see how those single sided ones could be nicer. What I'm wondering is though, with the ODIs, if you're not careful to clock the two clamps as hard opposite each other as possible, the grip develops a little play, which I find super annoying. That isn't possible on the single sided ones. Are they still pretty tight on the bar, with the clamp there just to provide a little extra grip?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
One of my new bikes came with single sided lock-ons that I tried for the first time yesterday. I didn't feel the typical play you notice when the ODI's aren't clocked, but I did feel a tiny bit of give on the outside part of the grip.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What he said^

The sleeve on the ODIs is kind of loose. I've got grips on my trail bike and on my dh bike when I used to use a gripshifter that I only had one clamp since I cut the grips shorter. You can get them snug. I think you can actually get the ODIs even more solid since that inner sleeve is so stout. One side tight can keep them straight with no twisting flex.

Reason #63457234058 why I don't use carbon handlebars too.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Question: I've been running ODI Rogues more or less since always and have never been that badly bothered by the outside clamp, but can see how those single sided ones could be nicer. What I'm wondering is though, with the ODIs, if you're not careful to clock the two clamps as hard opposite each other as possible, the grip develops a little play, which I find super annoying. That isn't possible on the single sided ones. Are they still pretty tight on the bar, with the clamp there just to provide a little extra grip?
I designed our (Specialized's) lock-on mechanism as one of my first projects. I can't say that all single-sided clamps are the same, but on ours the metal clamp wraps all around the plastic sleeve which wraps around a majority of the bar. So you're clamping a whole ring of the plastic between the metal clamp and the bar. There's no way to rotate the grip independent of the clamp.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Those look nice, and I like your design points. Got a man-sized version for those of us with XL+ glove sizes? thin grips feel like pencils to me.

I designed our (Specialized's) lock-on mechanism as one of my first projects. I can't say that all single-sided clamps are the same, but on ours the metal clamp wraps all around the plastic sleeve which wraps around a majority of the bar. So you're clamping a whole ring of the plastic between the metal clamp and the bar. There's no way to rotate the grip independent of the clamp.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005

copy those teva grips and I'll buy them for life...

(you can send me 10 pairs for the idea though)

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Oh did I say those spec grips were good?

I meant they're horrible. Worst grips ever. I crashed so hard, my gender changed using those things.
I'm going to make some calls and see if I can't arrange for you to be limited to Onza Porcupines for the rest of your tire riding life.

Those look nice, and I like your design points. Got a man-sized version for those of us with XL+ glove sizes? thin grips feel like pencils to me.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/gripstape/grips Enduro XL or Sip XL are our big grips.

copy those teva grips and I'll buy them for life...

(you can send me 10 pairs for the idea though)
Sure thing. The internet already thinks we copy all our other designs anyway. :thumb:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The Specialized Sip Grips are the ones that came on my bike. I can feel a tiny bit of twist at the ends, but it's not significant enough to matter to me.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
I recently converted from peatys to sip xl's on my DH bike after trying some that were laying around the shop. Ordered more to go on my other bike I liked them so much. Moved my brake levers out now that I'm using all of the bar. They [XL's] have a larger diameter than every other half-waffle and the rubber is tacky an durable. There is some detectable twist at the end like djjohnr said, maybe because the rubber is thicker there and wraps over the end, but I never notice it when riding. I do notice that my hands and wrists take less of a beating.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
WTB 4-front
RavX density X lock

Both of those have a half sided plastic sleeve, so that the only thing between your palm and the bar is rubber, while under your fingers is the sleeve. I've never had either pair twist on me, but the thickness and grip pattern may not jive with you, ymmv. The 4 fronts are some of my favorite grips ever, but the collar take up a lot of bar space. Fortunately, all of us use over 9000mm bars on our bikes, so it's not really a problem.