Quantcast

Got my Dainese Rhyolite vest in the mail

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Got my new Rhyolite vest in the mail from Universal Cycles today.

I like it, a lot lighter than the full Gladiator vest I am coming from. But it is a little shorter than I had expected. Not all the way to tailbone protection. Still pretty good stuff, and will be great for here in Phoenix, but not quite what I had expected.

Really well made though.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Cool story bro

In all seriousness. Is the rhyolite the one that hardens on impact. Soft normally and when hit it stiffens up making it soft protection. Let me know how it works. Hopefully you don't have to find out, but if you do I hope it works. Would love to know. It might be great I try

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I figure with all of the bike talent I don't have, I'll be field testing it with some dirt samples as early as this weekend. New bike + fat ass - lack of talent = random dirt samples on a pretty consistent basis.

aaron_ma

Chimp
Jun 14, 2012
Any chance you could post a picture with the vest on? I have heard that the production version being shipped is much shorter than the vest displayed on Dainese's and other seller's websites. I have been looking for something with back and some chest protection that is light and low profile for trail riding, and the Rhyolite seems to fit those needs. But it has been pretty hard to get a good sense of what the vest is actually like from the info available.

Last edited:

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
Got my new Rhyolite vest in the mail from Universal Cycles today.

I like it, a lot lighter than the full Gladiator vest I am coming from. But it is a little shorter than I had expected. Not all the way to tailbone protection. Still pretty good stuff, and will be great for here in Phoenix, but not quite what I had expected.

Really well made though.
How tall are you and what is your chest size? What size
did you get? Other than short, how is the fit?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm 5'11", 240lb, with a 48" chest. I went with the XXL. It fits over budda belly. But its about 3" short of the bottom of my spine.

It is not a newtonian fluid vest.

No, you don't want to see a photo of it on me. Think fat girl in sports bra.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its just heavy cell foam armor.

Its pretty good for a Super D/free ride vest. I am going to run it for DH, but I am going to keep my Gladiator in the bag for days where its going to be stupid.

aaron_ma

Chimp
Jun 14, 2012
I'm 5'11", 240lb, with a 48" chest. I went with the XXL...its about 3" short of the bottom of my spine.
So the giant version of the vest on an average height rider comes up short. Sounds like a Large on 6'3 & 175lb is going to be more like a scarf than a back protector.

The search continues.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So the giant version of the vest on an average height rider comes up short. Sounds like a Large on 6'3 & 175lb is going to be more like a scarf than a back protector.

The search continues.
What don't you understand about average height, but above average eater. Put a mini-skirt on Ashley Olsen and you see thigh, but putting it on a Kardashian is gonna show brown eye.

aaron_ma

Chimp
Jun 14, 2012
show brown eye.
Hmm, well I guess I do not want a back protector that is made out of something that gets vertically shorter when horizontal pressure is applied.Oh wait, Dainese doesn't make their back protectors out of mini-skirts. I guess something else must be going on...

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
yea, non-newtonian is the first thing that came to mind, but i wasn't sure if that term applied to solids as well as liquids
A solid that has this property should probably be called non-hookean. However, most people, including myself, would still refer to it as non-newtonian.

With that, most of these "solids" are really close to being a liquid as they are a small particle suspended in material such as silicone. It is similar to how quicksand functions.

Last edited:

asin

Chimp
Oct 14, 2005
I'm 5'11", 240lb, with a 48" chest. I went with the XXL. It fits over budda belly. But its about 3" short of the bottom of my spine.
5"11 and the XXL vest doesn't reach the base of your spine??

I'm 6'6" so this clearly won't be an option. WTF Dainese, seriously.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think its partly being held up by the baby I am carrying.