Quantcast

Getting a Jr. T

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'm gonna replace my 2003 DJ3 with a used-but-not-used-too-hard 2003 Jr. T. I'm only looking to get more travel at a cheapish price, I dont need any fancy stuff. I've heard great things about the fork and sorta bad things about the fork. I think I would like it. I would use it for stuff around my house (not that much really) and whistler. I've got a Stinky, 18 inch. Also, I weigh about 150 pounds and dont ride extremely hard. Input?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
HSCV > SSV
20mm > QR

But, if you can get it really cheap, why not? I'd personally save for something better, but it all depends on your budget and requirements.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Rik said:
HSCV > SSV
20mm > QR

But, if you can get it really cheap, why not? I'd personally save for something better, but it all depends on your budget and requirements.
Well, 300 with the hub included is the best deal I've seen so far on them. I would get something better, but I dont make a lot of money, I'm only 15 and pay for everything myself. Maintaining two good bikes is hard enough on me. I wouldnt ride the fokr too hard, but at whistler I would. I went through my DJ3's travel pretty fast and bottomed a few times, plus just the general roughness of whislter wasnt the best either. I think that 2 more inches of travel would really smooth the ride out a lot. How much do they weigh?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dwaugh: Finding a used Super T instead of a Jr. T would be worth it.

Jr T's are okay, but even a 2001 Super T with 6" will feel like a lot more travel than the 7" Jr. T or your DJs. You should really try to get a cartridge damper fork - you won't even believe the difference.

It would be worth it to hold out longer to locate a good Super T (or pony up the money for one of the 2003 Super Ts I've seen in the B&S forum recently - THAT's a good fork. 32mm stanctions and cartridge dampers).

2 more inches of SSV travel won't smooth the ride out as much as you think.

Just my 2 cents. Budget constraints suck.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
binary visions said:
Dwaugh: Finding a used Super T instead of a Jr. T would be worth it.

Jr T's are okay, but even a 2001 Super T with 6" will feel like a lot more travel than the 7" Jr. T or your DJs. You should really try to get a cartridge damper fork - you won't even believe the difference.

It would be worth it to hold out longer to locate a good Super T (or pony up the money for one of the 2003 Super Ts I've seen in the B&S forum recently - THAT's a good fork. 32mm stanctions and cartridge dampers).

2 more inches of SSV travel won't smooth the ride out as much as you think.

Just my 2 cents. Budget constraints suck.
I agree.

Try to find an older SuperT or a 2003 Sherman Slider. Even though I still think the JrT is a good fork to start DH with (you can't rely on it too much to do the work and any other fork will be a pleasant upgrade...), as soon as you get better, you'll want to get rid of it very rapidly to get something better.

Always remember that the quality of the travel is much more important than the quantity of travel. :)

I'd say keep your DJ for the moment...the JrT won't be much better.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
FlipSide said:
I agree.

Try to find an older SuperT or a 2003 Sherman Slider. ...I'd say keep your DJ for the moment...the JrT won't be much better.
yes and yes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bagtagley said:
Why not buy the Junior T for cheap and throw in a Super T damper upgrade?
Super T damper upgrade is like $300. If you can get the Jr. T for a really REALLY cheap price, then it might be worth it, otherwise a used Super T will probably be cheaper than the Jr T + cartridges.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Guntruck said:
To upgrade my 04 Jr to a Super... (1 leg) it was only $110. I think the 03's came with two leg HSCV. One leg seems to get the job done.
Did you get the parts from marzocchi? Or did you send it to them and have them do all the work? And most of all, how does it compare to a super t?

I have an 03 jr t, I'm about 160 and ride a 19" stinky d (I'm almost 6'1"). The fork is fine for drops, but once the going gets fast and rough the fork is terrible. It spikes super-hard and makes nasty top-out noises. It would definitely need the super-t cartridges to be the slightest bit whistler friendly.......

The light weight is nice, but I'm still considering going to an 01 or 02 monster T very soon.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
i agree... fine for drops and horrible for racing. i JUST sold mine in favor of a slider +. i got by on mine for a year, but i'm totally siked about being on a better fork.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Not a paintjob as such, but a clearcoat over polished alu. It does tarnish over time, but whip off the stickers, and polish up a 02 Super, and you'll have one very sexy fork.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
if youre not feeling the limitations of the travel quality of the DJ3
then i think the Jnr T will be fine for you, same quality of travel just more of it

ofcourse you could get a smoother super t but do you really need it?
if the only thing you dont like about the DJ is the lack of travel
then go for the Jnr

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Toshi said:
yeah, zane, '01 monster :thumb:
Yeah, after riding around on your 01 monster and ryans 03 monster this past weekend I realized just how crappy my fork really feels. I'll join the monster-t club pretty soon.

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
nicklin said:
the 02 [super t] has a sexy silver paintjob which is very bling-blingy

yes i agree. i just got an '02 super. it looks awesome and it has HSCV so they're both a plus. and you can find '02 supers for good prices (i got mine for $300, and it's almost in perfect condition).

The jr. is a food fork for the price but i've heard that you get what you pay for because the have some problems at speed. good first DC though if you're not worried about that whole spiking thing

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Believe me, that spiking thing is something to worry about. After a fast super-rocky run my hands and arms were killing me, while my friend with an 03 monster was just fine.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
zane said:
Believe me, that spiking thing is something to worry about. After a fast super-rocky run my hands and arms were killing me, while my friend with an 03 monster was just fine.
That doesn't sound good. I still am gonna get the Jr.T but, now I need to know, where do I buy the cartridge or whatever it is to make one leg like a super T? I can afford a 110 dollar thing after a bit.
This is the way for me to go, because there are no 2003 or newer Super T's for 300 Dollars with a hub, and there is no way I am getting a Monster, I really dont like them at all.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I would say go for it.

Its true that a through axle is better than QR, and that the Super T is better than the Jr T, but you are only 15. 2" more travel and dual crowns will make a night-and-day difference for anyone, but especially for a 150#er.

The fork will last you long enough that you shouldn't have to worry about trashing it before you have saved enough $ for a new fork/bike. And when that day comes, your Jr. T will still be in good enough condition to put on a second bike.

Depending on your situation, you could even end up with a backup DH rig in a few years. That is a very nice position to be in given how DH parts tend to break.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Repack said:
I would say go for it.

Its true that a through axle is better than QR, and that the Super T is better than the Jr T, but you are only 15. 2" more travel and dual crowns will make a night-and-day difference for anyone, but especially for a 150#er.

The fork will last you long enough that you shouldn't have to worry about trashing it before you have saved enough $ for a new fork/bike. And when that day comes, your Jr. T will still be in good enough condition to put on a second bike.

Depending on your situation, you could even end up with a backup DH rig in a few years. That is a very nice position to be in given how DH parts tend to break.
I think you are right. But I forgot, I said the wrong number, I weigh 115 pounds. I'm also happy to say that I already have two bikes, one hardtail and the stinky. I think I'm gonna like this fork.