Quantcast

G-BOXX Planetary, first pics

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Thanks, EVRAC. Because of the paper in the *.pdf-file is written about Karlheinz NICOLAI as an "SolidWorks" user, I think we can assume that the figure is strictly related to him and his company UNIVERSAL TRANSMISSIONS. Given that the technical principle of the G-Boxx 2 is simple as stated by K. NICOLAI recently (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2671811&postcount=116), may be 2 similar rotating main shafts with seven parallel chains or belts, it should rather be the V-Boxx, which he designed for SR SUNTOUR. May be?

The statement of Karlheinz NICOLAI I posted above (#116) was the newest "official" information I could get before Interbike 2007. Their all-new G-Boxx 2 frame(s) according to the G-CON standard will come out not before 2008.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
Not before 2008? Well that is a good thing because i will be in the process of buying a new frame around that time. Maybe by then it won't cost 8,000USD. and be a little lighter too. I can't wait.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Don't get ahead of yourself there chimp. It's still a time consuming process building stuff up around one of these. That, and if it's lighter it won't be much cheaper. It's going to take a real amount of time before this stuff gets 'commercial'.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Some of the conceivable reasons that the G-Boxx 1 resp. the G-Boxx 1 frames Nucleon TFR as well as Nucleon TST/TST evo are so expensive so far are the time consuming process of R&D as well as production, the very small number of frames sold so far, and the high price of the ROHLOFF Speedhub 14. So it is desirable that the expected higher quantities of G-Boxx 2 gearboxes they will deliver to OEMs could drop the price at least a little.

Well, today the long awaited opening of Interbike 2007 (1st demo day) takes place and everybody is welcome to post (pleasant as well as unpleasant) news about and pics of gearbox bikes as much as can get.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
[*]They have already finished the development of the ROHLOFF trigger shifters as functional prototypes but finally they were to big as well as to expensive for series production. Currently they would have neither time nor man power for a revision of this stuff.
damn you nicolai. damn you all to hell!

i actually saw a cad dwg of a tidy rohloff trigger that some guy had designed; though he didn't think he had the time, inclination, or resources to build it currently. no idea how well it would work from the drawing, or course, but it seemed somewhat plausible. have to try & dig it up...

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Interesting. I don´t really understand why neither ROHLOFF nor NICOLAI have trigger shifters for the Speedhub/G-Boxx 1 ready to go into production yet. However, both the ROHLOFF Speedhub and NICOLAI´s G-Boxxes seem to be way more complicated than such a trigger should be. Perhaps, they prioritize things their own way. I also do not really understand why Karl so often said that the R&D of a floating rear disc break mount for his DH bikes would be too much time consuming.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
i actually saw a cad dwg of a tidy rohloff trigger that some guy had designed; though he didn't think he had the time, inclination, or resources to build it currently. no idea how well it would work from the drawing, or course, but it seemed somewhat plausible. have to try & dig it up...
I'd love to see that.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I wish i had some serious R&D money all these gear box issues would be solved within six months and the derailleur would be gone forever. Yeah right. Although we would be closer then we are now. This is a very slow process. What the gear box really needs is for a big bike company power house IE. Specialized or SC and this whole thing would really take off quite quickly. Hopefully Interbike will reveal some new concepts.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
I wish i had some serious R&D money all these gear box issues would be solved within six months and the derailleur would be gone forever. Yeah right. Although we would be closer then we are now. This is a very slow process. What the gear box really needs is for a big bike company power house IE. Specialized or SC and this whole thing would really take off quite quickly. Hopefully Interbike will reveal some new concepts.
Aggreed, however, it's looks like GT is shelving their IT-1 project. And what about the bad Honda news. I also talked to Hayes at crankworks and asked whatever happened to the petespeed project. They said that they were trying to get interest from many big bike companies and no one would buy in. They're all scared of having nearly the same rear suspension designs which would go against all their fancy marketing to date.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Any more pictures of this design? Not really enough information to go on there.

here are some more views

the pawl slides across to shift either 1 or 2 gears (depending on how far the trigger is pressed) then slides back to allow the rachet to spin freely in the other direction for downshifting..

the 1st pic has most of the parts hidden so it can be seen more clearly, it only shows shifting in one direction. the complete system will have an identical setup stacked on top for shifting the other direction.

Attachments

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
Hola, estoy trabajando en el diseño de una gearbox, ya casi esta terminada pero todavia me faltan algunos detalles. A la persona que le interese saber mas: juannrd@gmail.com
translation:
hi, i'm working in the design of a gearbox, it is almost finished, but i still have to clear some details. whoever wants more info: juannrd@gmail.com.

Si te decidiste a postear en un foro en inglés, sería bueno que lo hagas en el idioma que corresponde.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Neat idea to combine a derailleur in a box with a planetary gear to increase the output gear. Why is there a chainring on the outside of the bb axle as well as the floating one on the inside?

Oct 15, 2007
Mar del Plata, Argentina
the inner chainring transmiting the force to outside chainring, and this to rear, the freewheel its for make changes without move crankset, the internal machanism always moving.
sorry for the language, only talk spanish.
I need blueprint of freewheel Shimano 10v in DWG or JPG.

Very tanks.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hay mucha gente que entiende el español. no pasa nada si lo prefieres. Nos encantamos ver tus diseños! Ponga más, porfavor!

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Nice. Seems like a high-efficiency drivetrain. But what is the function of the chainring of the bb axle on the outside (left side)?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Nice. Seems like a high-efficiency drivetrain. But what is the function of the chainring of the bb axle on the outside (left side)?
That's the same question I was asking and I still haven't figured out the answer.

Why are there 2 output chainrings then? The question is about the one in blue on the bb axle, which would be on the right side of the bike. I assumed the gold colored chainring was the output to the rear wheel.

Also, is the internal cassette attached to the tan colored axle? If so, the planetary gearing will actually reduce the RPM, not increase it.

Very nice CAD model.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Amazing new G-Boxx 2 picture. They did the small update yesterday. Unfortunately, the *.pdf file was not refreshed yet.

Regards the "Pandora" gearbox, I think (may be that I´m wrong) that the CAD model may hide an additional chainring outside on the bb axle on the right side. This (hidden) chainring moves the "golden" chainring on the right side resp. outside on the second axle by means of a (also hidden) primary chain. The "golden" chainring moves the planetary gear or the like which increases RPM. Next in the power flow comes the sprocket cassette which moves the floating chainring on the bb axle by means of the (secondary) chain. The floating chainring moves the blue coloured chainring on the left side by the green coloured cylindric part. So, according to "The TIG Welder", the blue coloured chainring on the left side of the bb axle is the "output" to the rear wheel sprocket.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
does that design infringe on any other patents?? how much is it costing you to get it patented?

Oct 15, 2007
Mar del Plata, Argentina
Hace mas de 2 años que estoy trabajando en este diseño, y por lo que eh investigado, aunque tiene partes que ya existen en otros diseños, no existe ningun diseño que se le parezca en su conjunto.

It is not patented.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
he says:
1st post: does anyone know of someone who is willing to spend some money on a gearbox development project?
last post:

i've been working on this design for more than two years, and as far as i've researched, even though it has parts that already exist in other designs, there isn't one that's similar when you look it as a whole.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
looks complicated and limits designs possibilities.

I'm starting to bet my money on BCD, although I did like that darkness design a lot.