Quantcast

Future of the DW Turner DHR?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
@TrumbullHucker why on earth would You put 650b wheels on that bike? Just put on some tires with a bigger casing, You will gain much more from that, than from switching to that 650b BS...
oof.. yeah i stepped in and out of the bong shed with that idea. it made no fucking sense lol :bonk:

i wouldn't be doing it myself, the shop i work at use a great company that annodizes everything we make, thats why i was also asking about bearing removal

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
They`re pressed in.

I have been saddened by the removal of the DHR on Turner`s bike lineup on their website. Should I sell mine asap while it still holds "some" value and go full-on ENDURRRROOOO?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I think Turner should have at least left the DHR info up somewhere, or archive it for reference. I am always looking up geo numbers from older bikes for comparison.

The bike is super rad, it really does accelerate like a rocket and blasts anything in the way. Best $2k DH bike ever!

Took a bit to get used to the minuscule reach numbers compared to modern bikes. I have the longest stem on it of any of my bikes @ 50mm.
Damn it is low and slack though, mmmmm good!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I rode/wrecked STIHacka's dhr and I have to agree, the bike wants to go super fast and it really does pedal well. It's also fucking tiny, especially compared to the GTs I've been spending time on. I'm pretty sure I could park the DHR on the top tube of the large FURY and use it as an emergency bike if I ever need it.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
:( dont remind me about the sizing

my large is smaller than my buddies tr500 and im taller than him :/

with the inevitable winter itch, was looking at offset headsets to make it feel longer, but not sure if its worth it

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
They`re pressed in.

I have been saddened by the removal of the DHR on Turner`s bike lineup on their website. Should I sell mine asap while it still holds "some" value and go full-on ENDURRRROOOO?
You're gonna have a pretty tough time selling it, to be honest. Last I looked, there are several on Pinkbike in the $2,300-$2,600 range (with legitimate builds) that have been listed for a couple months.

Trust me, I thought about selling mine too, but I don't need an extra $2,500 and it's still a very functional (and attractive) DH bike.

:( dont remind me about the sizing

my large is smaller than my buddies tr500 and im taller than him :/

with the inevitable winter itch, was looking at offset headsets to make it feel longer, but not sure if its worth it
Have you considered a 55mm or 60mm direct mount stem? The reach # on the Large is definitely a little shorter than the new "normal" now, but it's still totally unrideable if you're 6'0" and under. I would swap into an XL front triangle if I could, but it's not that big a deal to me.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Have you considered a 55mm or 60mm direct mount stem? The reach # on the Large is definitely a little shorter than the new "normal" now, but it's still totally unrideable if you're 6'0" and under. I would swap into an XL front triangle if I could, but it's not that big a deal to me.
no, I have havoc dm 50mm reach, havoc 35mm diameter bars uncut, with a 6mm direct mount stem spacer

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
You're gonna have a pretty tough time selling it, to be honest. Last I looked, there are several on Pinkbike in the $2,300-$2,600 range (with legitimate builds) that have been listed for a couple months.

Trust me, I thought about selling mine too, but I don't need an extra $2,500 and it's still a very functional (and attractive) DH bike.
I know man... I've been following the market prices of DHRs and I'm definitely going to be losing quite a bit if I decide to sell mine. :(

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
How tall are you Ray? And what length stem do you use? I admit I don't pay much attention to the geo numbers on new bikes, I do know the new stuff is long though. I always thought the DHR had pretty up-to-date geo, are they really that much smaller compared to the new stuff? I am 6'1 and ride a large with a 45mm stem and 780mm bars, and have never felt like I would rather be on an XL. I don't have any experience on anything bigger though, my trail bike is a large 6 Point which I know is really smaller than it should be. I want to get a new trail bike this upcoming year, hopefully get to test ride before I buy, do you reckon I should be looking for geo numbers that are even bigger than my DHR?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The reach on an XL turner DHR is 10mm shorter than the reach on my medium GT Fury. (427 vs. 438mm).

The GTs are the opposite end of the (FRIGGIN HOOGE) spectrum.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
T-Rux, are you on a med or large frame?
largo

How tall are you Ray? And what length stem do you use? I admit I don't pay much attention to the geo numbers on new bikes, I do know the new stuff is long though. I always thought the DHR had pretty up-to-date geo, are they really that much smaller compared to the new stuff? I am 6'1 and ride a large with a 45mm stem and 780mm bars, and have never felt like I would rather be on an XL. I don't have any experience on anything bigger though, my trail bike is a large 6 Point which I know is really smaller than it should be. I want to get a new trail bike this upcoming year, hopefully get to test ride before I buy, do you reckon I should be looking for geo numbers that are even bigger than my DHR?
i forget the numbers, but my buddies large tr500 has a longer reach
my cockpit is east havoc DM 35mm diameter, 45mm reach, with uncut 35mm havoc bars ( with a 6mm shim under the stem )

sizing wise it feels good for jumping, and normal dh.. but when it gets steeeep, i feel like i need a higher rise

The reach on an XL turner DHR is 10mm shorter than the reach on my medium GT Fury. (427 vs. 438mm).

yeah a large fury is ridiculous looking!!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010

holy chit that's a big difference. are the GT trail bikes big like that too?

i forget the numbers, but my buddies large tr500 has a longer reach
my cockpit is east havoc DM 35mm diameter, 45mm reach, with uncut 35mm havoc bars ( with a 6mm shim under the stem )

sizing wise it feels good for jumping, and normal dh.. but when it gets steeeep, i feel like i need a higher rise
How tall are you Ruxer? and are your bars 35mm rise?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
6'

the bars from the website "9°, 5° UPSWEEP, 20mm RISE"

the stem from the website "-5mm" lol

i also have a nukeproof warhead dm 35mm stem (i think.. hopefully i didnt sell it)

"Rise:30 degree"
"Length:45mm"
Since Mr. Wrecker wrecked my DHR recently :D, I've just installed a new cockpit with the same 35mm dia Havoc stem, 6mm shim and 790mm wide RF Atlas (20mm rise I think). I have not sent it down a steep trail yet but it feels good.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I am 6'0" and I have a 55mm stem on mine (780mm bars too). Don't get me wrong, it rides great, but I do feel like a little extra reach wouldn't hurt (after owning/riding some of the 'modern' trail bikes with the new-school geometries).

But yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
That's the number I pulled from the turner website, from the PDF linked above (2014).
okay yeah the DHR is way small by today's standards. The reach on every other bike in the 2014 Turner range, including the xc bikes was about 1 inch or longer reach. Vital just teased some new direct to consumer 150mm trail bike, and the reach on the small is almost 20mm longer than the reach on my large DHR. this is irksome to me for some reason

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
yeah i rode a couple parks with the nukeproof stem, immediately feel the higher rise, but the easton stem just feels "better".... the reach is another story
okay yeah the DHR is way small by today's standards. The reach on every other bike in the 2014 Turner range, including the xc bikes was about 1 inch or longer reach. Vital just teased some new direct to consumer 150mm trail bike, and the reach on the small is almost 20mm longer than the reach on my large DHR. this is irksome to me for some reason

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Meh. Dh bikes are not for stretching out over and climbing on. Every single dh bike I've ever had has had a shorter 'reach' than my concurrent trail bike. Because slack headangles still make it a longer bike. Dh bikes aren't supposed to be comfortable just sitting in one position for hours.

Turners are about like santa cruz v10s. I think the sizing recs from each are pretty good having ridden mediums and larges in both. But everyone's been enduroed in the brain now and thinks sitting on a dh bike should feel like sitting on your trail bike. But the resulting videos everywhere these days of people riding down steep things, stretched out to the maximum their body will allow while their back wheel gets knocked all over the place because they can't lean back is providing me with some entertainment.

If your bike really feels too short, as in it feels like your sternum is going to go over your headtube every time you run into something hard as shit standing up and making grunt noises and you feel like you're having to brace your arms too much to keep the front of the bike in front of you, then yeah see if you can find an XL. If you really don't want to deal with that, then yeah, check out the offset headsets, wider bars, flatter bars etc......But comparing reach measurements from bikes meant to be ridden in a seated position for long periods of time doesn't tell you shit about how real dh bikes ride. They're different beasts.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm comparing the fury to the DHR, which are both DH bikes....but I also advocate for taking 20mm out of the stem (28mm vs. 50) when you go for a longer bike. If 50mm is your cuppa, then you'll probably be too stretched out on a much longer bike. By that accord, the GT (438-20=418) puts me in between a large and XL with a 50mm stem, and I like my bikes longer for high speed stability vs. "flickability".

FLICKABILITY

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:D

My DHR is a medium frame, I am sure you'd find the L more comfortable. By the same token, I'd say the Fury is more "a bit too long" than the DHR is "a bit too short". You are a fairly tall dude to ride a medium frame IMHO.
I thought it was quite flickable. I flicked it into one tree and then another!

SebM

Chimp
Jun 17, 2016
I wrote to DT and he confirmed there is no DHR plan coming. 27.5, carbon frames, enduro is what people want so...no. It's sad, I absolutely love mine : bought it 2d hand in Morzine for 1000$ in excellent shape. So I offered it a little rebuild and new stickers for 300$.
What do you think?