Quantcast

Future of the DW Turner DHR?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
whats the HA on that hardtail?? looks as slacked as my DHR.. probably camera angle

Like 'woo said, that's a lot less insane than it sounds. For one, it only gets steeper as it goes through its travel. For another, between the short stays and short travel fork (120mm travel) the wheelbase isn't that long, and the front wheel isn't really that far out in front of you. It rips.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
????
how far back (-X axis, drive-side view) would the DHR axle have to go to fit a 650 wheel and 2.5" DHF?

im looking at the hanger itself

machineability wise it is do-able to alter it, but how many things will get screwed up? (leverage ratio, brake mount location, bb height, ha angle)
heres a nice large drive-side picture for reference

and I would obviously do the exact same for the non-drive side "hanger"
winter boredom has struck and its not even winter yet

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Uh, the axle goes through the swingarm on both sides. Making a custom hanger isn't going to do shit.
It's this kind of misleading information that has ruined ridemonkey.

It will absolutely do something. It will cock the back wheel so freakin crooked it will lock up on the swingarm and be funny as shit for me to laugh at.

Stop spreading falsehoods.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
haha shit. lets rewind.

im coming from a totally 'custom fab' welder/ machinist kind of angle.. if i get my hands on a spare DW DHR rear i will consider doing some fun fabricating to it( yes, lengthening it ). I was stirring the pot to see what would get fucked up geometry wise/ suspension rate wise, if i somehow moved the axle back 0.75" or something
there is a thick as chunk of aluminum( where the axle comes through apparently ;) ) that looks like it could be plugged properly, add material properly, mill it, and transfer the bolt pattern "to the left" if you are looking at it from the driveside

maybe this belongs in a frame building subsection...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I was stirring the pot to see what would get fucked up geometry wise/ suspension rate wise, if i somehow moved the axle back 0.75" or something
there is a thick as chunk of aluminum( where the axle comes through apparently ;) ) that looks like it could be plugged properly, add material properly, mill it, and transfer the bolt pattern "to the left" if you are looking at it from the driveside.
Ride brakeless!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wouldn't you run into seat tube interference on full compression if all you did was somehow lengthen the stays?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't get the hype over switching to 650b...

You'll raise your BB about half an inch, maybe as much as 3/4"

You'll have to lengthen your chainstays the same amount

The shock rate and everything else will stay the same, presuming that you put a proper 650b fork on it.

In the end, you'll be left with a bike that's cobbled together with a taller BB and even longer chainstays (we're talking 18" here) and like 3/4" extra "rollover". It might even be less sellable than the 26" version

My suggestion- just ride the damned bike as a 26, enjoy all the tools selling their near new parts for next to nothing. If you really want "added rollover" just put on some 2.7s instead of 2.5s and save yourself all that money.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I don't get the hype over switching to 650b...

You'll raise your BB about half an inch, maybe as much as 3/4"

You'll have to lengthen your chainstays the same amount

The shock rate and everything else will stay the same, presuming that you put a proper 650b fork on it.

In the end, you'll be left with a bike that's cobbled together with a taller BB and even longer chainstays (we're talking 18" here) and like 3/4" extra "rollover". It might even be less sellable than the 26" version

My suggestion- just ride the damned bike as a 26, enjoy all the tools selling their near new parts for next to nothing. If you really want "added rollover" just put on some 2.7s instead of 2.5s and save yourself all that money.
This might be your best post ever.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Fear of missing out.

Drives about 90% of high end bike sales.
Fear of missing out combined with a healthy marketing driven dose of the bike i'm currently riding is why i'm slow/can't jump/brake-in-the-turns/etc and this bike/part will surely solve all my problems.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
650b fomo! lmao

your right.. dreaming alittle too big here. that's what happens when the temp drops, stuck in the apartment with the DH bike and beers.
There's nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. I just think you'd end up with a significantly worse bike trying to get a very very small performance gain switching to bigger wheels.

And this is coming from somebody who rides a 29er by choice...

This might be your best post ever.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
gunu be tearing down the DHR so i can drill holes everywhere ( jk, clear coating the raw look so it stays shiny and not grey oxidized look )

knocking out the bearings; can i lightly tap out the bearings with a certain sized socket with a plastic mallet? or is there a specific tool i should be using

and hopefully turner has DHR stickers

thanks

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
@TrumbullHucker why on earth would You put 650b wheels on that bike? Just put on some tires with a bigger casing, You will gain much more from that, than from switching to that 650b BS...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
gunu be tearing down the DHR so i can drill holes everywhere ( jk, clear coating the raw look so it stays shiny and not grey oxidized look )

knocking out the bearings; can i lightly tap out the bearings with a certain sized socket with a plastic mallet? or is there a specific tool i should be using

and hopefully turner has DHR stickers

thanks
Unless you're powdercoating, I'd be lazy and try to avoid removing bearings. You'll want to tape off the bearing surfaces anyway, so really no extra taping-work. If the bearings run well, Id just tape them meticulously and spray that fucker!

Are you gonna polish it first?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
it will eventually oxidize again even with the clear coat. need to do nickel or chrome plating to keep it looking "shiny". you would be better off just polishing it when you feel like it IMO. also, the DHR pivots are pretty much indestructibru, so I doubt they need to be replaced