Quantcast

Future of the DW Turner DHR?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I wasn't really serious, even if the Glory is a capable bike. Why doesn't Turner just make an aluminum 650B DHR though?
I wonder this too. Couldn't he theoretically just redesign the swing arm and make it 650b? Or to do it properly would he have to redesign the front as well? I wonder what his sales numbers were on the DHR compared to the rest of his line up. There are quite a few monkeys on here that bought them, and I see pictures of people all over the world on them. I remember even seeing videos of practice at world cups where privateers were on them, back before redbull took all video rights and before everyone went to 650b. Oh well, I am probably too unnecessarily bothered by it, I won't be needing a new DH bike for a while.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Plastic is cheaper. Leaving aside the mold costs, you don't have to hire experienced welders, or re-align the frames after welding them. It doesn't even need heat treatment. Plus the human costs are cheaper in Asia.

On the other hand, plastic is a heavier contaminant than aluminium, there aren't almost no ways to recycle it, and you are surely stuck with creaky press-fit interfaces.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Just a polite fyi, whenever anybody refers to carbon bikes as "plastic" I have to assume they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Just a polite fyi, whenever anybody refers to carbon bikes as "plastic" I have to assume they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
I believe that is done in jest by the aluminum purists. The number of people who think that carbon is plastic should be roughly equivalent to the number of people who believe that there are actual wagon wheels on bicycles, so no more than half of ridemonkey.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I saw a dark red DHR with a black rear triangle at Thunder today, what a sexy bike. :drool:
i think i saw this bike once at highland.. annodized shiny dark red? black fork? ( i think dorado )
looked killer

#corpseriders
lol i like this

sent DT an email. Responded immediately

"No plans for a new DHR 27.5 at this time. Tooling money heading toward carbon and alloy Sultan next. Huge money to play in the carbon world, so I can't multi model develop at my size. I have no idea when Turner Bikes will have the money for a new DHR when I know I need at least 2 more new trail models in carbon ohhhh say, 2 years ago!

Thanks for the support, sorry there is nothing to keep you on a Turner Bike in the future. "

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It was a diminishing way to talk about carbon fiber, I know. But for one I believe this nonsense of "teh crabonz is da future!" is pure nonsense. There are clearly places where it has many advantages over other materials, but if you account the carbon footprint it adds, the lack of abrasion resistance, repairability, etc. it all outweights its benefits. At least to me.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
More bad news, Dave just emailed me back saying any DHR's left lying around are not and will not be for sale.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Petroleum based hyrdocarbon chains given rigidity from a cured resin.

Meh

Plastic is fewer syllables.

plasticplasticplasticplasticplastic

Oh shit, now it's too many syllables again........ Thanks obama!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I don't know the cost spread between the two after all expenses, but prepreg carbon fiber is NOT cheaper than aluminum, period. In fact it's fucking expensive, and I don't think there is a cheap option. There is some finishing labor in 'plastic' frames too.
Cheaper to manufacture/make into frames/parts I meant. An experienced welder isn't something you can train in a semester. On the other hand, prepeg laying worker is. Plus you don't have to buy different sizes of tubes, machine them, cut them, etc.

To make it clear: I'm not saying I could start a full blown carbon frame manufacturing facility in my backyard, after watching a video on the interwebz and drinking a six pack to encourage myself. But it's still cheaper on the long run to manufacture a frame that way than a metal one.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anybody want to buy my size L?

Bidding starting at $10,000 complete, now that they're unobtanium. :D

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
care to share what happened? sounds interesting
basically a vendor shitstorm. gabe was repping out of north van and had accumulated a nice pile of fucked up frames (damn, i love the non-censored version of this forum, now); a picture of which was accidentally disseminated to the unwashed masses. at the time people were starting to get the impression that things were bad, but not really aware how bad; the pic helped fuel the fire, and there were some unhappy people for a moment. anyways, it's all history, and walsh is now open about the debacle:

http://nsmb.com/5211-the-untold-story-of-absolute-evil/

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Cheaper to manufacture/make into frames/parts I meant. An experienced welder isn't something you can train in a semester. On the other hand, prepeg laying worker is. Plus you don't have to buy different sizes of tubes, machine them, cut them, etc.

To make it clear: I'm not saying I could start a full blown carbon frame manufacturing facility in my backyard, after watching a video on the interwebz and drinking a six pack to encourage myself. But it's still cheaper on the long run to manufacture a frame that way than a metal one.

Not so sure about that...alloy is damn dialed these days. Material is cheaper, and the production process is very automated and efficient.

No matter how cheap the labor, it is still very time consuming to correctly lay up a carbon frame. It cannot be automated at this point. As the molds are very expensive, you can't bake many frames at once.

In contrast, you can easily run 20-30 alloy frames thought the heat treat oven at once, and the welding robots don't take many breaks...

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Al 650b dreams!

i like metal because my mountain bike sometimes gets hit/ hits rocks!

inb4 someone gets very stupid, very bored, and tries to make a 650b rear triangle ( and most likely ruins the geometry ) :busted:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
as a nerd and fan of technology, i appreciate carbon. but as a tig welder by trade, i can really appreciate the machine work and just general high quality craftsmanship that went in to the DHR, or any other comparable frame. its just a joy to look at. i dont get the same feeling looking at a carbon frame, they just appear soulless. that said, my next bike, which will be a trail bike, will be carbon. and that is only because the RFX isnt offered in aluminum, if it was, thats what i would get.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
as a nerd and fan of technology, i appreciate carbon. but as a tig welder by trade, i can really appreciate the machine work and just general high quality craftsmanship that went in to the DHR, or any other comparable frame. its just a joy to look at. i dont get the same feeling looking at a carbon frame, they just appear soulless. that said, my next bike, which will be a trail bike, will be carbon. and that is only because the RFX isnt offered in aluminum, if it was, thats what i would get.

i hear ya!! been welding since 07 and machining/programming since 2012ish.... after a couple beers i just find myself staring at the shock cage.. the ball mill scallops, and them aluminum dimes! im thinking of keeping it raw and clear anodizing over the winter. GTAW for lyfe!

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Damn, just realized DHR really is gone. Turner site is officially devoid of a DH sled, sad days indeed.

Stoked to have a brand new green one sitting in my garage! The thing is a sexy beast...can't wait to beat the crap out of some trail.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Here's mine at Thunder mountain yesterday. CCDB seems to be working quite well on this frame, the bike feels more composed and less wallowy than the original DHX RC2. I cleared a couple of jumps on the Gronk as well. :rolleyes:

IMG_20151101_162954547.jpg

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Carbon fiber–reinforced polymer, carbon fiber–reinforced plastic or carbon fiber–reinforced thermoplastic (CFRP, CRP, CFRTP or often simply carbon fiber, or even carbon), is an extremely strong and light fiber-reinforced plastic which contains carbon fibers.

yes, i just referenced wikipedia. now stop being a buzz-killington plz. :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
basically a vendor shitstorm. gabe was repping out of north van and had accumulated a nice pile of fucked up frames (damn, i love the non-censored version of this forum, now); a picture of which was accidentally disseminated to the unwashed masses. at the time people were starting to get the impression that things were bad, but not really aware how bad; the pic helped fuel the fire, and there were some unhappy people for a moment. anyways, it's all history, and walsh is now open about the debacle:

http://nsmb.com/5211-the-untold-story-of-absolute-evil/

company founded on dh bikes now only sells trail bikes

chapter 9

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:drool: but also completely unrideabru: one bike is a #corpse, the second bike has 26" plastic wheels and the third one has apparently completely unrideabru 27.5 wide plastic hoops.

How are you still alive? :confused:
They're actually all 26", and not that wide. Enve AMs on both trail bikes, 721s on the DHR,

I really dig that shade of red. Is it ano or paint? Did you have it done aftermarket?
It's powdercoat, and yes.