Quantcast

Future of the DW Turner DHR?

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Always seeing them at crazy discounted prices on US online bikestores (UK guy here)... reckon they'll be gone for good and just clearing them out or will there eventually be an updated 650b version?

Would be a huge shame if they stopped making them, loved my fluro yellow one!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i heard/read somewhere that DT has no plans at the moment of designing a 650b DHR. I am not too disappointed about that, but i really hope they don't cease production on the current one. I love mine!

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i also heard no 650b plans, hopefully i heard that on april 1st...

absolutely love my bike, ripped up windham and thunder this weekend and its an incredible bike... 650boner/carbronz would be amazing

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If they're still selling, he's likely making $ on them, assuming he's made back his development costs, that is.
I would not be surprised at all to hear that not a dollar has been made on that bike, with the years they spent developing it, plus whatever they have to pay DW to use his jizzed up version of "two parallel links".

Great bikes but is DT making any money on them? I bet his efffin fatbike outsells the DHRs 1:n, n>>10.
You mean n:1 ? And yeah, Turner Homer fat bikes probably outsell DHR's by multiple orders of magnitude. Sadly.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Per DT himself about 3-4 weeks ago on the phone when I was checking on how Greg was doing after hip surgery, no plans to follow up on the 650b DH bike because the market has gotten so small for them compared to enduro/Do All bikes. Could tell in his voice that he'll miss it, but is on to providing the bikes people want currently.

I love my DHR. Not sure why I'd ever need a 650b DH bike in Western NC tight, tech DH trails anyway. Run what ya brung.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
How cute, I too have a fluoro DHR...

Honestly, it's a pretty sick bike. No complaints, really. I'm tempted to try a 650b front wheel, but I can't say I'm in a hurry to do so.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Mine's raw, with a DHX RC2 that I am replacing with a CCDB. My first Turner but likely not the last one. I ride 650b trail bikes but feel no urge to switch to 650b for DH, there's no point.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I ride 650b trail bikes but feel no urge to switch to 650b for DH, there's no point.
That's how I feel! I like 650b for trail bikes but I bought a 2014 carbon Wilson frame this year because I thought it was one of the best 26" DH bikes out there and I'd like to ride it for a while...

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct

loved/loving mine this season.. vivid coil made the rear feel so smooth throughout the travel. def going to be doing more racing next season. blue mountain was a great beginning

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sweet bike pics up above.

I forget when I got my DHR, either last summer or the one before. The bike is awesome. Other than it being white, I have absolutely no reason to change to something else.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
How cute, I too have a fluoro DHR...

Honestly, it's a pretty sick bike. No complaints, really. I'm tempted to try a 650b front wheel, but I can't say I'm in a hurry to do so.
What size is your DHR? I am strongly considering getting one in a month or so if they are still on sale. I see you are in Seattle as well! Maybe we could get together for a ride and I could sit on it in a parking lot to see if it fits? Looking at either a medium or large. I am 5'9" with short legs and a long torso...

Also just looking for people to ride with as I just moved to Seattle (Mt. Baker).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Demo is in the local special-ed shop... and has a WC team... sheep.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Love my XL raw, unfortunately it's been very neglected this year with only a couple of outings :(

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Love my XL raw, unfortunately it's been very neglected this year with only a couple of outings :(
That's more light than mine has seen. I only rode mine up and down my street...twice. :(

I did just buy a seasons pass to the local DH hill for next summer though. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Which is fucked up because I WAS THERE @ CLOSING WEEKEND and walked past the girl from Pinkbike at the turnstile counting bikes several times.

I figured she'd counted it, but in reality, she probably has no idea what a "Turner DHR" is.
Your bike didn't make the list but "???? Hurricane" did. Lovely.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Which is fucked up because I WAS THERE @ CLOSING WEEKEND and walked past the girl from Pinkbike at the turnstile counting bikes several times.

I figured she'd counted it, but in reality, she probably has no idea what a "Turner DHR" is.
its not like you have a bright yellow bike with black bold lettering on it
"i think that was a trek session"

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer

I'm in!

Correct wheel size, made in the land of the morbidly obese, not plastic, and $1200.
We'll see how the new "small shaft" Fox DHX2 works on there.....

With the "ill nino" stuff supposed to happen I am pumped for some trail building this winter.

400# spring good for 170# rider?

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
170 and using a 375, I've got 400 and 450 springs in my spares though that i tried first.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I'm in!

Correct wheel size, made in the land of the morbidly obese, not plastic, and $1200.
We'll see how the new "small shaft" Fox DHX2 works on there.....

With the "ill nino" stuff supposed to happen I am pumped for some trail building this winter.

400# spring good for 170# rider?
Congrats!! I agree with the guy who posted above... for the money, I can't understand why people are riding Demo's, 951's, etc.

I'm ~185lbs and I ride with a 450# so I reckon 400# for somebody who weighs 15lbs less should be on the money.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
this was a topic of discussion last night with another :monkey: ... if your size frame is available, you can deal with green or orange, and have a shock, $1,195 is a smoking deal.