Quantcast

Front DeeMax (yellow) is not 6" rotor compatible???

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
My friend has a set of DeeMax, and the rear took a 6" on his bullit. I don't see any reason why the front would not. We had it converted back to a standard since I got the kit for free, and he was runnin 8" for a while. I told him to toss the 8" rotor and at least put a 6" on there just in case he rips out those dropouts. He's being a bit stubborn but he tried it - the caliper when mounted with a 6" rotor hits the spokes ever so slightly when spinning. He had it brought into have it dished, and it still does it. How can the hub not be 6" compatible? I don't see any way they would make a hub that can't take a 6" rotor and use a standard axle.. he is runnin Hayes. Has the right adaptor too I'm sure. Any idears?

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
Shave away metal from the caliper so it doesn't hit.

John (Tacos bro) had his caliper hitting his spokes on the Risse Champ I sold him.
They didn't when he had an older brake but when he got the newer style caliper it started happening and he just left it there to wear away (dumb if you ask me).

What brake is he using?

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
i think it might be more of a fork and caliper issue, I've seen more than a few bikes with 6" rotored yellow deemax.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Fulton said:
i think it might be more of a fork and caliper issue, I've seen more than a few bikes with 6" rotored yellow deemax.
Should I just tell him to shave away like above? It's an older Z1, 98. Still works like a champ (before it got blown when he did roof drops that is :D ) I don't want to see him ridin that bike with an 8" rotor and just have it give out from under him.. doesn't do any downhill, but ya never know. Not quite sure what kind of brake, I'm guessin a mag? It's a black one, and I am certain it is a double bolt clamp on the lever.

Oh, and the supergo up here is DEFINITELY useless.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I would shave some material but not from the caliper. I would either shave the inner disc mount (if you have access to a Magura IS disc mount facing tool, this will kill two birds by aligning the surface and creating the needed clearance) or shave the caliper adapter. Another option is to use thin washers to space the rotor from the hub. Magura even sells a machined (few mm thick) disc rotor spacer that would work but it is pricey. I have used the shims intended to space calipers (magura, grimeca, etc) to do this. You can also use the Shimano safety washers that span two rotor bolts and then crimp over the bolt head. Just use a dab of grease to hold the washers in place against the hub and carefully lower the rotor down and bolt it up.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You could try spacing the rotor away from the hub with 6 identical washers, then recentering the caliper. I'd try this before you start filing away at things.

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
D....
What year? Is it the new style caliper or the old (like your front on your HT)?
Remember, I told you the difference when we were having the brake line problems

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I'm not so sure the spacing methods for the rotor would work. If you push the rotor out, the caliper still stays in the same spot. That doesn't do it any good. I'll check out the facing tool. Shop around here does have one.

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
DLo said:
I'm not so sure the spacing methods for the rotor would work. If you push the rotor out, the caliper still stays in the same spot. That doesn't do it any good. I'll check out the facing tool. Shop around here does have one.
If you push the rotor out, towards the fork....
then the caliper can also be pushed more towards the fork.

It's totally possible.

How much does it rub by also?