Quantcast

Frames and Compnents That Aren't Made in Taiwan.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
While I love bikes by companies like Santa Cruz, the fact that they now have 0 domestic production is starting to catch up to them.
This type of thread can be a black hole, since its impossible to satisfy locavores who want to live in the 21st century using selectively chosen outrage/loyalism to feel better about a world that confuses and scares them.

I'm not sure what you meant in your comment, but SCB quality and delivery lead-times are better than ever before.
We assemble each bike to custom specs in our Santa Cruz factory. All of 'em. EVERY SINGLE BICYCLE. Yes, if you order a bike from Santa Cruz, it is assembled - to your specifications including color, shock, kit, fork, stem length, crank length, rotor size, by a hard-working group of guys in a tin covered shack one block from the beach in Santa Cruz California.

factoid: A Santa Cruz QC inspector checks every single frame up to 3X during production, marks the frame and and seals the box before it leaves the factory (no matter what country the factory is in). True story.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I did not know SC had gone that route.
I commend you.

Screw it, Clint is right:

When we keep outsourcing our production jobs, the economy falls apart. While the DH frame market is tiny, its endemic of a larger problem in this country. Cheaper isn't always better campers.

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
sapa was the last big manufacturer in 'merica, now brands like knolly are looking to move to taiwan also. I'm not sure what turner has planned these days?

If cove is still manufactured by Yess, then i think they should be fully canadian made, but im not sure as i havent looked into it in a long time.

(no matter what country the factory is in). True story.
why couldnt you just say, our frames are build in taiwan?

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
why couldnt you just say, our frames are build in taiwan?
Probably because he was just trying to say they have a QC inspector at the factory, whether said factor is in Taiwan (i.e. alum frames) or China (i.e. carbon frames).

EDIT - sniped by Doggy

And Iirider, didn't read his comment as to imply the frames are built in the US, but simply that if you buy a complete bike from them it's assembled in their tin roofed shanty - nothing more.

Trolls fed

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Probably because he was just trying to say they have a QC inspector at the factory, whether said factor is in Taiwan (i.e. alum frames) or China (i.e. carbon frames).

EDIT - sniped by Doggy

And Iirider, didn't read his comment as to imply the frames are built in the US, but simply that if you buy a complete bike from them it's assembled in their tin roofed shanty - nothing more.

Trolls fed

Waaay better than star wars ;)

As for the non tw made claim because of the inspector on sight - most avg to big companies have one. Smaller ones often visit and the companies that handle this kind of business on taiwan also try to controll it. It's not as chaotic as people think.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
My 07 & 08 IH Sundays were made in Taiwan and there quality was OK. Not great but not bad.

My Revolt was built in Taiwan and we all know how that story went.

My V10c was probably the best quality bike I've ever owned in terms of how it went together and it was made in China. The hardware on the V10c is phenomenal in design and ease of use.

My DHR was made in the USA and its quality is OK so far. The welds are even and everything is straight but I'm not impressed with the threads on the bearing caps and the design of them as a whole.

No matter where something is built the quality will depend on the company mentality towards quality and the people building the product.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, maybe it is still the bad aftertaste from when they moved production abroad that made me understand it the wrong way. At the time they left people guessing where the frames were made (as in welded, which is not: painted, assembled, stickered, put in a box). For some people it doesn't make a difference, for others it does. So decide which customers you want and tell the truth about the origin of your products. Thanks!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yeah, maybe it is still the bad aftertaste from when they moved production abroad that made me understand it the wrong way. At the time they left people guessing where the frames were made (as in welded, which is not: painted, assembled, stickered, put in a box). For some people it doesn't make a difference, for others it does. So decide which customers you want and tell the truth about the origin of your products. Thanks!
Ok, but unless I'm mistaken, I've never had the impression SCB slapped "made in the USA" stickers on their frames if they were actually constructed in Taiwan and assembled in the States. I seem to recall my Mk1 Nomad and Mk2 V10 were actually made in the US (SAPA I'm assuming), whereas my Heckler was made in Taiwan (which the little flag sticker clearly indicated) - so I had no illusions as to where each respective frame was manufactured. Riding a Butcher now, and it's construction and pivot hardware design are top notch IMO.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"factoid: A Santa Cruz QC inspector checks every single frame up to 3X during production, marks the frame and and seals the box before it leaves the factory (no matter what country the factory is in)".

Tomac bikes does the samething. The owner spends 5 months a year in Asia.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm kinda feeling that Hukk. I think the BB height is around the same general area as the grips on my TR450.

Each year when I make the annual pilgrimage to BC, I see one of those, and pause to consider both my non-Canadianness and the sheer amount of bud involved in designing such a monster.

Maybe I will ebay one and build it up with some ultra-light twenty6 components.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
As an American components manufacturer, I think the most important advantages (since quality and availability are being thoroughly debated in this thread) to being wholly stateside boil down to this:

-Accountability (Service)
-Feedback (Innovation)
-Quality control (Sourcing)

The first, accountability, is the most important here. When you are all hands-on and in-house, the "I'm not sure when such-and-such will come in" or "I'm not sure why this batch of such-and-such was wrong" is eliminated. Which is not to say that mistakes and delays don't happen, but at least you get the satisfaction of being able to slap the responsible party in the back of the head.

The same accountability can be applied outwardly, as in our own accountability to our customers. If there is an issue with a product, we can quickly and effectively remedy the issue and take responsibility for any mistakes we made.

Transparency is key. All our products are manufactured, finished, anodized, assembled, packaged, and shipped from our Bozeman, Montana, USA shop. I can list for you the items we "outsource", only two of which are from overseas:

O-ring seals: O-Rings West: Seattle, WA
Bearings: Enduro: Taiwan (these bearings have a reputation for quality, we chose them specifically)
Axle nitride coating process: Surface Solutions: Minneapolis, MN
White powdercoat paint: ICS Coating Solutions: Billings, MT
Urban Camo Anodizing: Deming Industries, Coeur d'Alene, ID (all other anodized colors are done in-house)
Styrofoam packaging: Styrene Products, Wausau, WI
Printed packaging: Insty-Prints, Bozeman, MT (though we laser-cut the final shape in-house)
Raw Aluminum: SAPA, Portland, OR
Stem Bolts: Brikksen, Inc: Taiwan

Although I have to say, if anyone could help us source North American-made bearings or stainless bolts, we'd certainly look into it.

Buying American products isn't cheap or easy. Manufacturing American products isn't cheap or easy either., but we're damn proud of the work we do.

Just remember that in the end, you always get what you pay for.
Hey Tyler, how have you been?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
As an American components manufacturer, I think the most important advantages (since quality and availability are being thoroughly debated in this thread) to being wholly stateside boil down to this:

-Accountability (Service)
-Feedback (Innovation)
-Quality control (Sourcing)

Just remember that in the end, you always get what you pay for.
And that's what I am saying. The fact that somehow its become part of the industry to hide behind the "Taiwan excuse" as I am coining it is why I am annoyed to no end right now.

On a brief tangent, was the first year of the Mk3 Santa Cruz V10 (2008?) made here, as in fully made here, balls to bone, or was it built off of components that came in from some other place? I remember there were A LOT of issues with that first year not getting delivered anywhere near on time.

Over PM I have been accused of being jingoistic and a fan of the empire. While I did pledge allegiance to mother England this morning, I think the person that sent me this is missing the mark. The long story short version of it is this; its a hell of a lot easier to keep things on time and within quality if you can fly four hours to get the problem fixed. I work in an industry as the lawyer where my job is to ensure contract compliance and proper and timely delivery of the components we need. If things are behind, or if things are not right, my subs face money penalties and full well understand that not getting things done properly and on time will result in very lucrative contracts being removed from them. I have a some 200 page document they sign now, stipulating down to the nth degree how things work. I suspect that this would not work in Taiwan as you'd have zero method of enforcement other than taking your production budget to another labor camp down the road.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Actually, I am a paraglider pilot...I enjoy Chevy Chase movies, but I'm not single, sorry. Come visit our booth Interbike and I'd be happy to have a beer with you though ;)
"Not single" as in married, or just with a place holder until you meet my awesomeness?

Personally I think its high time Twenty6 does a red/white/blue patriot pedal. I'd rock that.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I don't think this thread insinuates anything to do with Racism or should.
It's all about quality control, and variety security IMO, with a touch of hands on, and keeping it possible for new brands/builders to get a foot in the door easier. Pretty hard for a new brand with new concepts to get started in with the big fish, and without the budget to do trips to Taiwan or move there to ensure production is all going good.
Place of origin production should've been the thread title, hell I'll go start a new thread now with that title.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ahhh crap what have I done?

Should I add Taiwanese companies that manufacture in house and sell products under their own name?

I am all for manufacture in Taiwan as long as the consumer sees either a price reduction or an improvement in quality when production heads off shore.
From the last four Taiwanese frame I have purchased only my .243 frame was up to a spec I call acceptable.

Thanks for the additional brands I will add them later.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
DunCon is dead, Karpiel is still around. Better yet, I just got my 2012 Armageddon:thumb:
I've heard some rumors about them being dead and developing something interesting. Just never belived it. Is that thing I've heard about but can't speak about true? ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Updated again, can anyone remember what the silent rear hub is called? Pretty sure they were made in the states but the name slips my mind

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I disagree with a lot of things said here, but Enve Composites makes stuff in the USA. Of course, some of you have already talked about sourcing carbon rims from overseas because the domestic stuff is too expensive. :rolleyes: