Quantcast

Fox oil chart. Help me understand that mess.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Looking @#64 in particular, the damper (in red) would be if I was rebuilding the FIT, correct? That's sealed though and since no oil came out, I'm not going to do anything with it. It still feels good in-hand on compression and rebound. So I can skip the 100cc, correct?

The 30cc goes in from the bottom of the same side (damper is on the right). And the 15cc goes in from the bottom of the Talas (left) side.

The Fox float fluid then goes in the top of the Talas (left) side.
Where's the "negative chamber"? Top right where the FIT cartridge is? They have you tighten the top cap to spec on that side before a drop of oil goes in the fork. Undo it and add the 3cc?

Holy shit! I rebuilt my fork before, but by chance I was on the phone with Fox for a different reason and asked about this fork. He said they were redoing the site to make it easier cause the chart was too confusing. Why not just "right upper, right lower" or "drive side upper, drive side lower"?

Thanks, EC

Screenshot_2015-05-11-09-59-05.png

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Are you sure you know what you are doing? Servicing the TALAS system is a bit more complicating than reading an excel chart.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you're just replacing seals and re-lubing, then yes, you have everything correct. You can skip the 100cc of damper fluid, and skip the stuff with the float fluid.

If you're rebuilding the talas, that's it's own beast and isn't worth doing unless the travel adjust isn't working and/or your fork is sinking.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I called Fox just to figure out why the travel creeps up on me after I did the rebuild.

The 100cc goes in the damper assy.
Fox- "You didn't disassemble it, did you?"
Me- "No. It was working fine. Why's that?"
Fox-"We don't make that anymore"

The 30cc goes in from the bottom of the (right) damper side.
The 3cc of float fluid goes on the seal of the shaft that goes into the Talas side first. Your remaining fluid from that pack goes in the stanchion before the shaft. This is the "negative chamber".
The other 3cc goes in on top of the shaft you just installed in the "positive chamber". Be careful to not get any oil in the center hole of the shaft you've already installed. This is where the Talas goes into and will cause issues with the Talas working properly.
The 15cc goes in from the bottom of the (left) Talas side.

Me- The Talas is inching upwards after the rebuild.
Fox- Hmmm. We don't offer the rebuild kit for that anymore.
Me- I bought one @ Price point. I just hope it's the seal kit and not a wiper kit.
Fox - Did you ever do one before?
Me- Nope. Can't be too hard though. How many are there, 5? (I've had the talas apart).
Fox- No! There's a bunch. They're all down the internal part of the Talas shaft.
Me-......
How much is a new Talas?

$270 retail

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I called Fox just to figure out why the travel creeps up on me after I did the rebuild.

The 100cc goes in the damper assy.
Fox- "You didn't disassemble it, did you?"
Me- "No. It was working fine. Why's that?"
Fox-"We don't make that anymore"

The 30cc goes in from the bottom of the (right) damper side.
The 3cc of float fluid goes on the seal of the shaft that goes into the Talas side first. Your remaining fluid from that pack goes in the stanchion before the shaft. This is the "negative chamber".
The other 3cc goes in on top of the shaft you just installed in the "positive chamber". Be careful to not get any oil in the center hole of the shaft you've already installed. This is where the Talas goes into and will cause issues with the Talas working properly.
The 15cc goes in from the bottom of the (left) Talas side.

Me- The Talas is inching upwards after the rebuild.
Fox- Hmmm. We don't offer the rebuild kit for that anymore.
Me- I bought one @ Price point. I just hope it's the seal kit and not a wiper kit.
Fox - Did you ever do one before?
Me- Nope. Can't be too hard though. How many are there, 5? (I've had the talas apart).
Fox- No! There's a bunch. They're all down the internal part of the Talas shaft.
Me-......
How much is a new Talas?

$270 retail
Hahaha, cool conversation protocol.

Do you really use the Talas adjustment? I tried riding without touching it and realized that I am not really in need of it. Did convert the Tapas into a Float with very noticeable performance improvements. If that sounds suitable for you I can really recommend it. Conversion kits are available for like 100$.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I use it as much as the ks post. 160 on the Remedy is great on the flats and DH, but sucks climbing. 30mm is so little difference in travel, but such a huge difference in geometry and feel.