Quantcast

Fox 911 guards

Has anyone had any experiance with these? I can get 'em for cheap, so I'm thinkin' about picking a pair up. I heard that they slip down alot, but this years model looks diffrent (Maybe its just me?) Even if I can get them for cheap is it still not worth it? If not, I'll have to fork out the cash for some roach pads...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I don't like mine--they slip pretty badly, and I find the straps to be very uncomfortable. However, if you can find them, the older ones with the Lycra sleeve instead of straps are way more comfortable and stay in place better.

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
i have the 03 and they slip pretty bad. at the beginning of the ride they're great, then as the ride wears on they start to fall down and loosen up. but they protect your entire lower leg, so protection wise they're great. but keep in mind that they slip.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
I've had nothing but good luck with the 911's. They stay on my arms and legs very well. Occasionally I find they slip below the knee, but it's rare and the full coverage of the older model has saved my calf numerous times.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
My knee 911's are the Velcro-strap version and they slip. My arm 911's, however, are the Lycra-sleeve version, and they stay in place extremely well, and are the most comfortable pads I have ever worn.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Wow these reviews are mixed. I hate riding with gear on but i figured I needed a pair for snowshoe so I picked them up. I have ridden alot of armor and i have found these to be some of the best. IMO the most critical part is the strap behind the knee, the fox is wide and very comfy (allows for easy pedaling). So I would say pull the trigger on them but if you are still unsure check out the roach guards they have been getting some really good reviews.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
I bet it has to do with shape of your leg than anything else. I guess the ones that have good luck with the 911's (like me) have slender, but still muscular legs. I guess if you have the kinda legs that are wither wide or kinda flat then they don't work well.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Yeah, like he said, the shape of your leg is what it all comes down to (although Dainese seems to work for just about everybody). Just try the pads on before you buy them--see if the shop you're at (assuming it's not mail-order) will let you go for a quick ride around the block wearing the pads.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
All pads suck for me. None fit right. Until i got this years fox 911. they fit me great i have long but skinny legs. The pads are good and offer good protection i dig em alot.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Those only go down to about mid calf don't they? I get a lot of hits from my pedal lower than that so I'd go with a pad that offers more protection...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Please only post relevant info pertaining to the current model year product! If he can get a deal on the current Fox 911's then what good is it to him to know about the old entirely different and unattainable design? Does anybody have experiences with the most recent (more race inspirded) version?

A trick for those of you with the all black '03 (more freeride oriented) 911's is to when putting them on, first fasten the upper strap (thigh) very tight next fasten the upper calf strap also very tight, then fasten the middle calf strap very, very loosely!and finally tighten the lowest strap very tight. The middle calf strap goes just under the largest diameter portion of your calf and therefore as you pedal and your calf expands and contracts, the pad gets pulled down your leg. Most of the guys at Fox were recommending to just cut that particular strap completely off, but I like the little bit of coverage it gives so I just run it super loose. I have been running my 2003 911's like this for about a year and they do not slip at all even after 5+ hours of riding! If you have these pads, try it and see if it works for you...