Quantcast

Fox 40 SKF seal installation problem

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Hey all,

Never had this much of an issue installing fork seals...

My new-to-me Fox 40 hybrid-air (off a trek) fork needs new seals. I removed the old ones, cleaned everything up and went to put in the new ones but can't seem to get the new ones in. Tried some PVC pipe, flat planes and just pressing the god damn things in and I can't seem to get it.

Any tips?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The newest seals have a little metal area around the bottom and go in a little harder than previous versions. We've installed a bunch at my shop but haven't had to remove any yet, that might get interesting. To install we have these plastic cylinders for 32, 34, 36, and 40. They fit over the lip and sit on the shoulder of the seal so when you hit'em with a heavy hammer the seal jams right in with no risk of damaging it. You'd have to ask Fox how much that tool is and decide if that's worth it for home use.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Couldn't you just put an end cap on the PVC pipe and hit that?

I put these seals in my 36 and didn't really notice a difference compared to the old ones.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I found that the 36 seals are easily installed with an orange cap from a 1qt bottle of Gatorade.

40? No idea. Seals bad = time for a new fork.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I have a 2016 and I'm having a heck of a time getting the old seals out. The usual open ended wrench approach isn't working, can't grab it with vice grips very well, etc. Any suggestions? If it's harder to put the new ones in than it is to get these out I'm in trouble.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks, that seems like it might work. I have the park dh levers but they don't seem like they'd grab as well.

Anyone have an alternative to the Fox press? The inside edge is chamfered to fit the seal? May ask a friend to make one. I'm not opposed to buying it I'd just like to ride this weekend,

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
This is what the seal driver looks like on the inside if you want to replicate it.

Tip: remove the outer spring from the wiper before pressing the seal in so you don't damage it, and then pop it back on once the seal is in and aligned to satisfaction.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Good deal, thanks. I can't believe how hard it is to remove the existing ones. I have pretty good leverage with the tire levers but they are really in there.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I read a Manitou thread where it was suggested to use isopropyl alcohol to lube the surfaces. Jam in the seals and the alcohol dries up soon after.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
With the old seals out I can confirm that the new ones are pretty much impossible to install without the Fox tool. And that metal ring bends pretty easily when attempting to use a PVC pipe. So I guess I'm ordering new seals and the tool. Had hoped to ride this weekend :banghead:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
It's been a while, but I think to remember that I used the old seals on my 36 when I installed SKF seals! I cut the dust wiper lip, fit the old seal over the new one and used a rubber hammer/mallet to carefully drive the new ones in. But memory might fool me...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks, that's actually kind of working. One side went in no problem. The other side I can't keep straight to save my life. At this point the seal is looking pretty ugly so it's probably time to quit.