Quantcast

Fox 40 proto

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
im guessing the ports are for giving the foam ring under the seals a fresh dose of float fluid to keep them running sweet. Saves you popping the seals or dropping off the lowers. Is it just me that thinks that the stanchions look like they've been thinned down maybe a fox 38 instead of the 40. Rockshock tried 40 mm when they were developing the new style boxxer and the r and d riders said it was too much. Maybe some of the ex blackbox riders want something with a little bit of give in it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
im guessing the ports are for giving the foam ring under the seals a fresh dose of float fluid to keep them running sweet. Saves you popping the seals or dropping off the lowers. Is it just me that thinks that the stanchions look like they've been thinned down maybe a fox 38 instead of the 40. Rockshock tried 40 mm when they were developing the new style boxxer and the r and d riders said it was too much. Maybe some of the ex blackbox riders want something with a little bit of give in it.
inverted boxxer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
200g is a pretty good chunk of change, and I'm sure i'm not the only one who would give up a half a pound in the fork for real seals, damper performance, durability, and stiffness....but the boxxer is light, so there's that.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I think you're on the money here, just for topping up foam ring oil.
They look like 40mm to me. But maybe they've reduced size for a better air chamber size.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I did already say that...

And they're still 40mm. I think the idea is that you can run very low pressures (the 35mm Boxxer WC runs roughly half the pressure of a 32mm one to give you an idea).

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I think it's a 2 way air intake valve to keep the dampener shims cool as the fork goes up and down real fast over the moguls. The sound is fully adjustable between 2-stroke and Harley.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Well that there is just simple forn-u-bate seal systems. Its so when yer fork dries up, or pose is droopin, you can stick yer teeny peener in there and manlube the seals to keep em spunky.

Show your fork some looooooooooooooooooooooove.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That makes sense, every time I pull apart a 40 the foam rings are usually soaked in oil even if it hasn't been stored upside down, so it'd seem a little redundant to have lube ports for them.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
But the question is: Why are they on the casting and not on top of the stanchions?
Because on an air fork (at least on the spring side) the stanchion is sealed off from the lowers.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Do you reckon that the holes in the back of the new brace are for attaching a fender/mud board? Looks like they are machined not just cast.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
translation leaves something to be desired but the point gets across.
"ROW stands for Racing Application Development, acronym but also refers to the expression “Wheel!” used much in States as an abbreviation for “Radical!”, expression used to describe something amazing, spectacular.":rofl:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Aside from all the 40 hype, looks like a lot of the bikes are on small-shaft kashima RC4's too, noticed CG's V10 had one too. Probably a bit less damping progression to match the more progressive frames out these days.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That article made it sound like tenneco took a huge dump on marzocchi and marzocchi USA is now herp derpin racing. That could be cool, maybe. I don't know if I could buy a fork with one dude's ego blasted across it, but I suppose it can't be worse than RS.

Still, this fox is a nice evolution, and bless them for continually making their fork better rather than reinventing the wheel once every 5 years.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Pitty about Zoke, they were really starting to turn a good product from 2010 onwards.