Quantcast

Forward-geometry is it the future?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That's exactly what I thought when I watched the video, in 1998 GF introduced Genesis and I got one of the first ones. Bigger bike, shorter stem, longer TT in an age when some Specialized Stumpy Hardtails were coming with 150mm stems. Hated that bike, had some of my worst crashes ever. Rode it one year and sold it for a traditional geometry IF. I tend to ride frames one size smaller than recommended for my height though, I like the ability to pop them around the trail and will gladly give up the longer WB any day. Another bad crash was on a medium Spitfire with a 45" WB, sold that after 2 months and got a small with a longer stem and have been a happy camper ever since.
I think you took the wrong lesson from the gf geometry. It wasn't long bike short stem. or maybe it was, but that was when "short stem" was only 100mm, instead of 120mm.

The main point was always the fork/HA relationship. Steep HA, lots of trail(not sure of correct terminology, the forks dropouts where further forward then most) so that the steering would be quicker and it would still handle speeds.

Now days every bike worth looking at slaps a short stem on there, slacks out the HA, and calls it a day.